Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GM-King's APIs (Summon monster) no marketplace images

Hi, I know it's by design but can you explain why this doesn't work with marketplace images? Monster manual, creature codex, spell templates all unusable due to this limitation. 
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
The devs have not granted access to Marketplace images via the api. It is not specific to that script; there are other summoning scripts ( example ) that have the same limitation. I suspect it is in an effort to curtail piracy in some way, but that is only speculation, and honestly I'm not sure how it even helps do that. You can work around it by dragging the desired image to the vtt, select it and press "z", right click to save the image locally, then upload to your personal art library, drag this copy of the art out, and update the default token. A pain, I know, but that's the only way I know how to get around it. 
i do not represent roll20, but as a developer i think that at the time it was coded addition of this feature was too time expensive to get right and so other features got done first.  Maybe it's an idea to add this feature to the Suggesion & Ideas section (again).
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I would give up all of my remaining and future votes for this capability.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I've been asking for this for 5+ years.  At GenCon one year, Riley told me he'd do it.  =D  It's definitely a mechanism intended to protect Marketplace content, though it really encourages users to migrate the content from the safety of the Marketplace, to a user library which can be accessed by anyone, given the URL.  If they end up doing it, the hard part is knowing who's marketplace content the API should have access to in a given game.  Everyone in the game?  Just the Creator?  The person who activated the script in each instance?  Maybe you choose which games to share your content with similar to the compendium.  I don't know the answer, but I'd sure like the feature.
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Heck, if they'd give us a way to spawn a token associated with a character sheet I'd be happy. Sure, it would prevent me from duplicating a map unless every asset had a character sheet, but at least I'd be able to easily teleport player tokens between maps or spawn in token assets for effects and so on. 
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Pat, you can do that with the Spawn script or with King's Summon script.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Only if the default token doesn't have a Marketplace image.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Haha, correct. Looks like I accidentally triggered the RecursiveThread api script. The Aaron said: Only if the default token doesn't have a Marketplace image.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
LOL!
LOL. Yeah it just seems so backwards that they are preventing users from spawning the images via automation that they have gone and paid Roll20 to get access of. Weird logic.