Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Unwanted automatic topic creation on "next game will be" update

Hi, Recently when I set the "next game will be" for my  campaign, it automatically creates a topic in the campaign's discussion. How can I turn this off?
Ran into the same bug a few days ago.
Jay R. said: Ran into the same bug a few days ago. I don't think it's a bug; I can see it can be a very useful feature - for those who want it. It really should be optional though with a very simple way to opt out.
Yes, I would like the feature opt-in only. I have to go into the posting and delete it to remove it from the forum.
Edem said: Jay R. said: Ran into the same bug a few days ago. I don't think it's a bug; I can see it can be a very useful feature - for those who want it. It really should be optional though with a very simple way to opt out. IMO it's a bug if there's no option to turn it off and no mention even of the fact that it's on until one discovers it by looking at the forum. But, tomato, tomahto. ;)
For those facing this bug and seeking more details, there is a big following in the thread titled " Wrong date in the new automatic "next game" post " started a couple of weeks ago.
For a good number of people, it is indeed a bug--as the date for an evening game in the U.S. will show up, incorrectly, as the next day. It's been going on for a few weeks now; I hope it gets addressed soon.

Edited 1605058411
Gold
Forum Champion
It's a bug the way it's implemented now. Some places have laws that specifically disallow internet companies from posting forum posts that appear to come FROM the user, but which the user didn't author themself.  One basic change that should be done before this update went public is to make the Announcement Post appear to come FROM "Roll20 Reminder" rather than appearing in-the-name-of the GM  where the GM's user avatar appears as the speaker. I'm not the writer of that post. There are other problems with it, please add this to the list.
Gold
Forum Champion
Huge news, a Roll20 Team member posted a reply about this on the PRO forum. Figured you all would like to know: Ashton  said: As of today, we've rolled back this feature. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that our future scheduling improvements will be more useful to you and the community.

Edited 1605196830
That is very excellent news.  Thank you for letting everyone know, Gold! Interesting that Roll20 didn't respond in the public thread considering it had a whopping 2200+ views and 30+ responses in just a few weeks' time, and the feature/curse was so easy to remove.  It would make sense to post in the Pro forum if this bug was only on the development servers that only Pro users would see and use, but it was a bug seen by many non-beta-testing/non-Pro users. They really need a person dedicated to monitoring the forums, providing timely responses/communication, and feeding the issues to the backend tech teams in an orderly/prioritized fashion.  Everyone from free to pro users would probably be a lot happier knowing their voices were heard and knowing what the statuses of the bugs/issues being reported are.

Edited 1605306245
Gold
Forum Champion
Yeah, 2 days ago I sent Roll20 a list where I'd compiled 14 threads asking about this. The total number of users was in the dozens, and the number of views on those threads was 100's. I gathered the direct forum links to those questions, and posted them under PRO board to try to help get Roll20 staff's attention on them. Only one of those threads got any response from Roll20, and the Roll20 Team Member (Ashton) addressed her response directly to the ONE individual who had asked the question in that thread. She didn't copy the answer to the other threads.  The one she answered, seemingly at random, was under "PRO" forum which can only be seen by paying subscribers.  All of the threads we see asking this question from non-Pros, have gone unanswered for more than 3 business days this week, even under Bug Reports. Now that it's Friday, we can surely expect no answer until Monday at the soonest. It's strange, and unusual, to see Bug Reports not getting answered for so long. When we used to have volunteer moderators on this site, we'd give the Technical Troubleshooting steps within a few hours of any/all bug reports, never waiting days and days, even on weekends. Things have really changed here. Markus said: That is very excellent news.  Thank you for letting everyone know, Gold! Interesting that Roll20 didn't respond in the public thread considering it had a whopping 2200+ views and 30+ responses in just a few weeks' time, and the feature/curse was so easy to remove.  It would make sense to post in the Pro forum if this bug was only on the development servers that only Pro users would see and use, but it was a bug seen by many non-beta-testing/non-Pro users. They really need a person dedicated to monitoring the forums, providing timely responses/communication, and feeding the issues to the backend tech teams in an orderly/prioritized fashion.  Everyone from free to pro users would probably be a lot happier knowing their voices were heard and knowing what the statuses of the bugs/issues being reported are.
While I understand the rollback, I hope it will come back as an option. My players liked the idea of using it to post schedule conflicts without worrying about missing them in our discord spam.