Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5th Edition OGL by Roll20 API Script is not Tracking Monster/NPC Spells

Hello, The 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 API script is not tracking Monster or NPC spells. When will this be fixed?
Are other people having this problem?
I'd wager a guess that it doesn't work for NPC sheets... but this happens to me as well.
Most NPC sheets are linked to multiple tokens so it would be hard to track which one is casting unless you made copies of the character. This is why I don't think it tracks them.

Edited 1605311226
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yeah this would require the GM to manually select who they are speaking as in the bottom right of the chat bar. It might work - you can try it (if you're GM). The API doesn't get the @{<monster name>|<attribute>} strings coming through from roll templates, those calls are all resolved before the chat message is sent to API. So you can't skim the character sheet name that way - you need to grab it from the actual chat message. If the GM doesn't change their "speaking as" drop down (and honestly, what sane GM is going to do that with hundreds of monsters/NPCs in there), the script won't have any idea which sheet to deduct spell slots from. Also... if your monsters are running dry on spell slots, aren't your PCs all dead anyway? :) edit - this is what the API gets if the sheet isn't set to always show NPC name: {{mod=+12}} {{rname=Ray of Frost}} {{r1=$[[0]]}} {{always=1}} {{r2=$[[1]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=60 feet}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=$[[3]]}} {{dmg1type=Cold}} 0 {{dmg2=$[[4]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=$[[8]]}} {{crit2=$[[6]]}} 0 {{desc=}}{{crit1=$[[13]]}}{{crit2=$[[9]]}} {{spelllevel=cantrip}} {{innate=}} {{globalattack=$[[10]]}} {{globaldamage=$[[11]]}} {{globaldamagecrit=$[[12]]}} {{globaldamagetype=}} ammo= 0"
Guys, Thanks for the replies.  However, 5e OGL sheet tracked NPC spell slots until just  a few days ago.   
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Interesting. So it isn't working even with the NPC sheet set to output the character name? And even if you select the NPC's name from the "As" drop down for your chat output?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It seems to be working fine for me, tracking both PC and NPC spells. Make sure that spelltracking is on, using: !5estatus and that the API has not crashed. You may need to manually restart the API at the initial load of the game. It has been silently failing for some users.
Keith, Here is the result of  !5estatus: As you can see spelltracking is on.   When you drag out a drow mage, does spelltracking work? Or is this just my game?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I used an abjurer, but just now tested with a drow mage. Spell slots are tracking:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would suggest trying with a fresh test campaign, using only that script and see if you get issues. Also make sure to test on a supported browser, and verify that no extensions are interfering (use a private browsing window).
Keith, NPC spell tracking is working in a new test game. It also works fine for PCs in my Zobeck game, but not NPCs. I tried disabling all API scripts except the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion, clearing the chat archive and using a different browser, all to no avail. I have also noticed some odd behavior. Some spells cast by NPCs, like Tenser's Floating Disc and Crusaders Mantle say that all slots are expended when slots are available. No other spells track at all. This same behavior is happening in my Isle of Dead game. This all started recently after new updates were rolled out by Roll20. I think it caused some corruption in my games. Can the Roll20 team look at the internals of my games and see if this can be fixed?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If they can, you will need to start the process by filling out a  Help Center Request . They are unlikely to initiate anything based on a forum post.