Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Please hire The Aaron

vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Without reservation, The Aaron , hands down, has been one of THE BEST assets Roll20 has ever offered.  One would be hard-pressed to find a day on the forums where Aaron hasn't freely offered his advice and expertise on all things related to Roll20. In addition to his countless hours helping others on the forums and abroad, he has improved upon Roll20's features (and limitations) through his exemplary API scripting and programming skills. Legends abound of Aaron, "The Arcane Scriptomancer"...   I propose that Roll20 hire Aaron ASAP and pay him whatever he asks   X2, because he's worth it! Sincerely, The General Consensus ;-P

Edited 1606084612
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Is it gauche if I upvote that. =D  Thanks Vince.
You got my vote dude, I see your name all over the scipts I use and helping out on the forums!
+100 Aaron is 85% of why I'm still on Roll20. 
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Can I throw all of my votes at this? He's worth his weight in gold.
100% agree.  The Aaron is a huge value-add.  I can only imagine what he would be able to come up with if he could have access to everything behind the scenes. -Adam
Gold
Forum Champion
Many ideas The Aaron has implemented with API scripts, would be brilliant offerings as official Roll20 features or PRO upgrades. Would love to see Roll20 facilitate The Aaron's continued development in any way.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
What they said! Until then, those that are able to can show their appreciation via his Patreon acct ( <a href="https://www.patreon.com/shdwjk" rel="nofollow">https://www.patreon.com/shdwjk</a> ). &nbsp;
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
And hire me to constantly pour coffee into his mouth while he codes... I'll do it for 1/10th of his salary ;) Seriously though, if there was a way to do this and not bankrupt Roll20 I'd suggest you do it!
Orr Group, snap up this talented man!
+1 I think this more important than any other suggestion here!
+1 infinity thousand and eleven.
+1
+1
I get that this was started as a joke, but I mean... if both sides are open to it I imagine it's a great move. I've moved a vote here for now. (GL, Aaron!)
Draft The Aaron
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1 Roll20 needs updating in a bad way without pro subscriptions, scripts and macros, I don't feel I get value out of the subscription today with its current look, feel and features it should have last year. Most of this quality of life stuff for D&amp;D should be part of the program. The competition is coming (Foundry).
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
+1!
Divers
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 Xfrost's right... Roll20 is awsome, but lack some features to improve managing the GM side... The competition is coming
Anyone who doesn't support the hire of The Aaron will be forever cursed with nat 1s and api errors that force them to constantly have to restart their sandbox, and you know what, he'd probably still find a way to fix it for them. &nbsp;

Edited 1615135901
+1, though I believe the main focus should be usability design.&nbsp; The two are not mutually exclusive, but the software really is too complicated for the average user. That needs to be handled before adding new stuff, that will likely make it even more complicated to use.
You got my vote, but I expect more mustache pics in return!
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
Bump. But Seriously. Do it. With a solid wage. He literally kept me using this product and fixed sooooo many ugly spots.&nbsp;
+1 ... not only has he contributed some awesome technical bits and bobs, but he's been unfailingly helpful in supporting them and everyone else.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Jesse said: You got my vote, but I expect more mustache pics in return! My mustache isn't as impressive as it has been in days gone by, will this work? =D
Awesome, a beholder beard!
Seriously. If I had the right kind of open position I’d have hired him, already.&nbsp;
I'd say they is a small group of people that would strongly recommended to be hired as well: - Keith Curtis - Jakob Come to mind
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Vouru said: I'd say they is a small group of people that would strongly recommended to be hired as well: - Keith Curtis - Jakob Come to mind ;-)
Rogue
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I say yes to this! The Aaron s awesome. I already thought he worked for Roll20, that is how cool he is.
+100!
+1
+1K for all the help The Aaron could give me through his APIs and comment in the posts ...
Gold
Forum Champion
Happy holidays Arcane Scriptomancer and everyone. Upon a review of my overall Suggestions votes, I cringe to take back this +1 because I want to spend it on a newer Suggestion that has arisen. I still hope that Roll20 will do more to leverage capability within the Community here, such as partnering directly with The Aaron to support his skills and let his talent inform Roll20 productively officially.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Back'atcha. No worries Gold.&nbsp; ;-)
+1
+1

Edited 1645626334
This dude is a fucking saint, hire him!&nbsp; +1
+1
+1&nbsp; Need more funding for epic tier facial design.
+1 This dude is basically doing your customer support.
+1
Not only voted, but I must add my recommendation in writing.&nbsp; When I started in Roll20 I knew nothing of API and still know very little.&nbsp; However, as I tried writing new API, The Aaron has always been there (along with others to be sure) to answer questions, review my code and make suggestions.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I voted on this as it supports what I said a year or more ago.The Aaron has done a ton to keep Roll20 competitive in being more than a 'you can see the map and move your tokens from far away' game interface.I joined Roll20 a few years back as a player with years (too many) of experience playing and game mastering tabletop RPGs for friends, family, and conventions. I love the tools and appreciate that R20's developers seem to finally be doubling down on addressing some of the user requests that have been out there for years, but I am finding that work slow in coming while newer VTTs are breaking ground. I will confess that while I like Roll20 and have spent a lot of time (and cashy money) here, my players have been hearing me grumble about the increasing deficit of automated features in Roll20 that are becoming standards in other VTTs. On their request, we have dabbled in AboveVTT, Foundry, Fantasy Grounds, etc. making a list of what we like and what we don't. All too often, I come back to Roll20 and dig through the terribly organized forums to see if I can find an API or macro set that accomplishes SOME of the built-in features in the newer VTTs.&nbsp; Often times, I find an API written by The Aaron that did/does/or might come close (if I can figure out all the coding lingo and assumptions). While I like Roll20's ability to provide increasing game context when playing at a distance, or even enhancing game play at a real table top with visual aids, it still lacks a ton of the streamlining game mechanics that make a game a LOT more fun. Currently, I find Roll20 to be fine as a player (aside from compendium limits (6 per Pro GM, really??), search ability, and presentation of the compendiums), but as a DM/GM, it requires a heck ton more time to prepare games than it used to with tabletops. I find I have to have multiple web pages and apps up to manage the game, greatly increasing my stress. Where was that table/graphic/etc.? It reduces game time for players waiting for pure mechanical background fixes, token manipulations and load speeds (thank you for working on that!).&nbsp; As other VTTs are entering the market, they are adding a LOT of features to their tabletops such as player-controlled doors, 2-way windows with lighting, built-in and proximity sound effects, animated spells/tech/effects/mapping, automated combat, enhanced token modifications/tools/ map layers, etc that are core components, not arcane enhancements. It is becoming more important that Roll20 keep up if they want to stay in the VTT game world. I hearken back to TSR's AD&amp;D Core Rules software in the late '90's. The software allowed DM/GMs to focus more on the fun storytelling than the mechanical game pieces, helping keep players more engaged during game time. The Aaron's apps often do just that by streamlining mechanics and enhancing game play. It is clear that he has become intimately familiar with the code, so I have always wondered why many of his apps were not directly implemented at least as core options to 'one-click' add (not just for Pros) with supporting documents and tutorials from Roll20 to make it easy for non-coders to use.&nbsp; While I know that Roll20 wants to keep the application fairly game agnostic so that many systems can be played, I want to toss in a quick plea for more D&amp;D support. It is still the single most widely played RPG in the world. So even if you create a separate instance of Roll20 that better supports D&amp;D Beyond dynamics and specializes in making D&amp;D dungeon mastering as easy as pie, Roll20 can support all the other games as well. It is like college sports. The big games (basketball, baseball, football, soccer) draw in the donor, ticket, and merchandise dollars to support funds and resources for fencing, golf, swimming, etc. So please consider hiring The Aaron and some of his fellow coders like Keith Curtis etc, (or at least buying and implementing some of their best used APIs to add to your core product) to enhance what your Roll20 team is doing. A caution: in an ever increasingly commoditized world, should someone at Roll20 decide that passing on purchase costs for enhancements like some VTTs do (marketplacing API-type additions) might generate some cash in pocket in the short-term, it will definitely cost Roll20's longevity as other VTTs make (what Roll20 currently considers 'optional enhancements') core features. After all, I do not want to have to repurchase all the games, compendiums, and modules again unless it gets to the point that I spend more of my game sessions frustrated by what Roll20 does NOT do than what it does. That is a large part of what is keeping me now. Seriously, a character turning on a light source (candle, torch, flare, flashlight, Bat Signal ...) should not require a Pro account, coding and web design skills, etc. In conclusion, my thanks to the many coders who have created some of the tools that I and my players enjoy in Roll20. The Aaron, you and Keith are among the ones I appreciate the most. Thanks to those at Roll20 for moving ahead!
Jeremy H.
Pro
Sheet Author
Considering Roll20's unprofessional penchant for ghosting potential employees, I wouldn't hold any breath on whether or not anyone gets hired, especially from a forum post. Otherwise, I'd add my support here.

Edited 1654525552
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
+1.&nbsp; TheAaron dedicates time pro bono to make sure not only his scripts are working but other's as well.&nbsp; Plus the guy is a machine when it comes to javascript.&nbsp; Foundry has always struck me as a cash grab as the API developers are charging for use of their APIs.&nbsp; A huge difference from Roll20 and a reason why I'm still here as API devs on Roll20 realize the concept of shareware.&nbsp; Free contribution.&nbsp; Roll20, TheAaron as a part time consultant can help you not introduce some architecture issues that recently force API devs to make changes across the board (_pageid), but can also improve the architecture for future API development.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Now that everyone has lots of votes, lets bring this to the top of the attention list.