Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rime of the Frostmaiden use wrong map scale

It seems that WOTC have published Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden with most combat maps using a square grid of 10 ft per square. Roll20 have implemented all their maps as 10 ft per square - and each square remains at 70 pixels. It then implements the 0.5 scaling factor on the maps so that the grid can be 5 ft per smaller grid square, but this works by getting the grid to have squares that are 35 pixels in size. This means that players have to ZOOM IN to get the map to show the same size tokens. This means that the NAMEPLATES are twice as large as they should be, and they blot out anything in the square immediately the token. This makes the map fairly useless for combat, unless all nameplates are switched off! Why can't roll20 rescale the maps so that the combat map of 5 ft squares still uses 70 pixels per 5 ft square? ---- I suspect this is the same for any combat map where the scaling factor is used.
What I find asinine about WotC's decision, at least in Icewind Dale, is that they haven't even been consistent about scale. Some maps are 5 ft. per square, others 10 ft. per square. Why, WotC, why? I do agree that Roll20 should address pixel-per-square issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This token interface scaling issue has been around since day 1. I'd like better control, too. Part of the problem with some maps is that the grid lines are baked into the map graphic as delivered from WotC.
keithcurtis said: This token interface scaling issue has been around since day 1. I'd like better control, too. Part of the problem with some maps is that the grid lines are baked into the map graphic as delivered from WotC. Just because the map shows a grid of 10 ft squares doesn't mean that the map can't be stretched and roll20 grid overlay switched on to present 5 ft squares for the players to see.