Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pop-up Menu on macro usage

I wasn't sure exactly how to phrase this to do a forum search, so if there is another thread about this that you know of, please point me to it. I was wondering if, like using a query, there was a way to call up a dialogue box in a macro that would let one choose from a list? I am playing in a game where each person actually has 2 characters in different squads. It would be really cool to be able to just use my #FortSave macro, then have a box that pops up asking me if I want Bob or Steve. Or a #Knowledge macro that lets me then pick which knowledge skill I want to roll. That saves me buttons on the playing table. I doubt this is possible, but I thought I would check before I make a suggestion about it. Plus it would be real useful right now. Thanks!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can kind of fake it with something like: ?{1=Bob, 2=Steve|1} You might even be able to build the guts of that prompt with another macro. I'm not sure what you'd do with the 1 or 2 value after that without having access to the API to parse it and perform some logic. You're probably better off using the Token Macro check and having tokens for those characters. That's what I end up doing mostly for a game I'm in with two PCs. I do have the same issue with a huge macro bar for skills I might want to use without a token. Depending on your game, you might also get a character sheet together that isn't too complex and gives you some concise menus for each character.
Thanks. I would love to do a sheet, but I can't afford mentor right now (it's a sort of beta/borrower campaign that I wouldn't be able to find a pre-made sheet for) and we don't use maps and tokens. I'll try your suggestion and see what I can do with it.

Edited 1403726023
Is there a way to do this? [[d20+@{Knowledge (?{Which area of Knowledge do you want? })}]] Right now it fills in the blank, but won't close the parentheses to actually match the attribute on my handout. I've tried different configurations of the end bit, but don't seem to be getting the right one. EDIT: Nevermind, got the right combo to close the parentheses but it doesn't work as is. Either it won't work at all, or I am missing something. [[d20+@{Knowledge (?{Which area of Knowledge do you want?}})]] :(
You can't use Queries to call an attribute value by name. The order of the command parsing won't call the value ; just the text you enter.
Yeah, I gathered that was the case after continuing to try. I settled for Aaron's suggestion by having a menu that calls the values so I can just quickly reference then input the correct value. Takes a few seconds longer than just clicking, but beats having multiple character's worth of macros to switch between on the bar.

Edited 1403790365
The way I handle it is by grouping macros up by category. For example, in Pathfinder, your physical skill checks are pretty cut and dried so I clump them together in a single macro. ex: /me rolls his shoulders and prepares for a feat of ATHLETICS ! Acrobatics:[[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Acro}]] | Jump:[[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Jump}]] Climb:[[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Climb}]] | Swim:[[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Swim}]] Fly:[[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Fly}]] | Ride: [[1d20 + @{BlahBlah|Ride}]] Result: BlahBlah rolls his shoulders and prepares for a feat of ATHLETICS ! Acrobatics:15 | Jump:16 Climb:13 | Swim:12 Fly:1 | Ride: 12

Edited 1403799942
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That's a good point. In your case with two characters, you could have the macro spit out the results for both of the: Knowledge(Artillery): Bob[ [[1d20+@{Bob|K_Artillery}]] ] | Steve[ [[1d20+@{Steve|K_Artillery]] ] Then just read the right one. Knowledge(Artillery): Bob[ 23 ] | Steve[ 12 ]
That's not a bad idea. I'll play with that, thanks.