Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Echoing when using the AudioChat function with multiple players

I ran into an odd problem with echoing happening with Roll20's audio chat function. The echo would occur when multiple players had logged into the system; it was not a problem for one-on-one chat, nor have I had this happen through Skype (though Skype has other problems with connectivity). Has anyone else encountered this echoing issue and if so, what would you suggest as methods of eliminating the echo so roll20 can be used in place of Skype? I am currently using Chrome for roll20 and outside of one player using Firefox, I believe everyone else uses Chrome as well. We're using WebRTC as we could not get Flash to provide any sound.
Usually it's an issue of echo cancellation. About the only thing Skype does well is echo cancellation. Someone probably has a laptop? If so, it's common for the laptop mic to pick up the laptop speakers, hence the echo. The simple solution is to get the player causing the echo to use headphones. Also, you can have people use push to talk, which I don't think is supported directly by roll20, so you'd need a mute/unmute button handled by the DE. The slightly more involved solution is to get the host OS to perform echo cancellation, basically it can either auto-mute the mic when sound is playing, auto stop the output when the user is speaking, or if it's fancy, edit out the audio from the speakers in real time. In my experience, most out of the box solutions for that are expensive or unreliable or a royal pain to set up.

Edited 1403741383
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
As Logan suggests, whoever is causing the echo needs to use a headset. If they are on a laptop or using a boom mic, they tend to pic up the speakers. My son experienced that until I got him a headset for his steam games. Roll20 does not have push to talk feature although it is often requested. Earbuds works just as good as a headset if they just want to use the same mic and only need to cancel out the echo (this is if their computer supports that style of audio connection, most do). Good luck and have fun.
Okay, so a quick search for push-to-talk for linux turns up a few applications to interact with most sound systems and DEs, windows seems to have a couple as well, which basically just send the mute/unmute command, I have no idea on Apple products...