Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Add Charactermancer to the Tools section -> Character Vault

The tutorials provided and current process for character creation is based on a DM experience. You have to create a game, go into Journal then make a character. Most of the users I would think are players, and this flow is counter intuitive to what to would expect.  The first place I would look at to create a character (putting on my new to roll20 glasses) as I scan across the top Nav pane and see a section called Tools.  In the drop down section under Tools I see Character Vault. I would begin there to make a character.  I believe you should consider adding the Charactermancer to the Character Vault to allow players to make characters so they can import into games later that they join. I know of very few players who currently use character vault as there is no function for it or they cannot figure it out. By allowing players to make characters from the Character vault and save them, you improve the utilization of this feature,  you will speed up game set up by allowing players to import characters into an existing game already made, and through better marketing of this feature, increase sales to compendiums like the players handbook, since more players will be pre-generating their characters to import into games. 
character vault i believe is for exporting character from a game in case you want to transfer them to a new game (or archive them for posterity).  though you can use that to premake a character if you want (just create a dummy/test game).  
You are right on all accounts,  but therein lies the rub. You should NOT need to create a game to make a character is the point. You should not need the counter intuitive steps of: 1. Creating your own game to make a character (not at all easy to figure out how to do this for a new user)  and 2. Exporting it to the character vault before being able to import into I the game you want to join.  Imagine.... Making the character first, then importing it to the game you join - simple and logical.  You should NOT need to create a game to make a character is the point.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
One thing to keep in mind is that character sheets don't exist outside of a game.  Part of setting up a game is setting which of the 700+ character sheets available on Roll20 is actually going to be used in that game.  What the character vault holds is just the raw data (attributes) snapshot of a character, no character sheet involved.
Actually they do exist outside the game, in the character vault. All stuff in roll20 is just data.... even when it is rendered later on into a character sheet. Good point about the game / character sheet selection.  That is a very simple addition to the process as making it the first choice before launching the charactermancer.  We can banter this back and forth forever, but the fact is simple (read posts and groups) more people are using other resources to create their characters outside roll20 and now; or so I have read, can use their other account to roll in roll20 etc... These users are not spending their money in roll20 not buying books or subscriptions, which in the end helps the betterment of our community by paying the wages for the developers and other employees of roll20.  I do not expect this post to get voted up, I just was trying to help the roll20 team stop the bleed.

Edited 1607528757
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
No, the character sheet code is not included in the character vault.  The character attributes (what is stored in attributes defined in the html of the sheet) are all that exist.  You can easily import that character into a game using another sheet and the attributes will still exist, but many of them won't display except where the new sheet uses exactly the same attribute names in the html.  The html/javascript/css character sheet does not exist in the character vault.  It is basically the information from the Attributes & Abilities tab that gets stored in the Vault in raw data form, including any hidden attributes generated by sheetworkers or repeating sections in the live game before it was added to the Vault. I'll not post again, but I'm just trying to pass on that what you are suggesting has many more hurdles than I think you give it credit for.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .