Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Beyond20 and turning off or hiding the initiative tracker

Hi!  This is a question about 3 interfacing systems, so I really have no idea where to post it.  Hopefully someone can just help out. So, I use Dndnbeyond for characters and I use their combat tracker. I use Roll20 as my VTT (obviously, or else OH BOY would I be on the wrong forum). I use beyond20 to send info from one to the other so rolls are automated and easy to see. The problem is that when I run the encounter, it launches the initiative tracker in Roll20. That is fine EXCEPT, sometimes the names of the creatures in Dndbeyond could be a problem. If the first intiative slot is for "Invisible Goblin 12" and the players only see 3 goblins in front of them, its a wee bit spoilery and people might just start casting faerie fire without probable cause.  Similarly if someone shows up on the list as "doppleganger" or "Intellect Devourer" and their turn matches one of the party members turns, it can raise unwanted questions. So, is there somewhere that I can switch this off? Or make the initiative tracker on roll20 hidden from the players? I am open to creative solutions that work. Thanks!
Sr. K
Pro
Sheet Author
Tokens in the GM layer don't appear in the tracker. You can use Bump API to interact with them directly from the token layer and make them appear when the invisibility situation ends.
Since you have a PRO subscription, I'd suggest using the Group Initiative API . I also use D&D Beyond and Beyond20 for all of my players' rolls, but I found that it was easy for them to forget to have their token selected when clicking initiative on DDB, which means I would have to manually add their token to the turn tracker anyways.  So instead I just created a collection macro that is visible to all players: !group-init !group-init --sort The benefit for you as GM is its super easy and quick to select which NPCs you want to add to the turn tracker, and you can make sure they are on the GM layer if they are not supposed to be visible to players yet. It has the added benefit of a few settings such as auto-opening the turn order (or disabling it so you have to do it manually, preventing players from opening it), and allowing or disallowing rolls to be replaced (so if a player clicks the button twice, it can ignore the second roll).
When tokens are placed on the GM layer, they are invisible to players both on the VTT and the ToT. Furthermore, by using advanced control options, you can move tokens from layer to layer quite quickly.
People keep posting about tokens, and this is confusing to me. The issue is that items in the dndbeyond encounter appear in the iniative tracker. I can't hide them on roll20 because they do not have roll20 tokens. I need to hide the initiative tracker.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That's because each entry (not counting custom labels) in the turn tracker on Roll20 is attached to a token ID. If Beyond20 is adding things to the turn tracker that don't have tokens, it's subverting Roll20's usual operation intentionally and you'll probably need a Beyond20 solution.
Seth The Frank said: People keep posting about tokens, and this is confusing to me. The issue is that items in the dndbeyond encounter appear in the iniative tracker. I can't hide them on roll20 because they do not have roll20 tokens. I need to hide the initiative tracker. Ah I did misunderstand you. Are you using the turn tracker at all on Roll20?  If not, you should be able to adjust the Beyond20 settings to turn off initiative rolls being sent to Roll20: I just tested it and the Beyond20 roll was sent to Roll20 (so it showed up in the chat) but it did not get added to the Turn Tracker. However, if you are using the Turn Tracker on Roll20, you'll have to turn off that settings and manually add your NPCs, as there's no way for Beyond20 to know whether to add each individual roll to the Turn Tracker or not -- it's either always on or off. If you're not using the Turn Tracker at all on Roll20, how do your players keep track of combat order? Do you simply announce each (visible) PC/NPCs turn as it happens, based on the Combat Tracker on D&D Beyond?
Thanks!  I actually have that setting turned off on Beyond20.  Not sure why the initiatives are still showing up. Appreciate it though!
Oosh said: That's because each entry (not counting custom labels) in the turn tracker on Roll20 is attached to a token ID. If Beyond20 is adding things to the turn tracker that don't have tokens, it's subverting Roll20's usual operation intentionally and you'll probably need a Beyond20 solution. Thanks!  I think I will need to figure out where to reach out to them.
Seth The Frank said: Thanks!&nbsp; I think I will need to figure out where to reach out to them. <a href="https://beyond20.here-for-more.info/support.html#help-support-and-issues" rel="nofollow">https://beyond20.here-for-more.info/support.html#help-support-and-issues</a> <a href="https://github.com/kakaroto/Beyond20/issues" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/kakaroto/Beyond20/issues</a>
HAHA I figured it out! I needed to open Beyond20 while I was on a Dndbeyond combat tracker page, and then the option appeared to disable it.