Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drag and Drop Handouts With Identical Names Not Adding Additional Handout

Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
I can't seem to find information on this so I apologize if this has been discussed before - When I try to drag and drop a compendium item that has a title identical to one that already exists from a different source, a new handout isn't created and instead it pulls up the previous handout. Most notably this happens with Magic Items. I tried a lot of things to drag and drop the Magic Items handout from the DMG but the game defaults to the Magic Items handout from the Essential's Kit. I have noticed this behavior before with things like Sorcerer, where there is one from XGE and one from PHB and whichever was placed first is the one that is referenced.  The behavior persists for simply trying to open a new instance of Magic Items by clicking the DMG tagged one, not just drag and drop. I can duplicate this behavior with nearly all similarly named handouts so I was curious if I was the only one encountering this problem. As it stands the only way I am able to view the Magic Items page from the DMG in game is navigating the index from a separate window.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is probably related to the feature (not bug) that keeps you from overwriting any home brew or modified monster/npc sheets. If you give your local goblins long swords instead of short swords, or different token art, dragging "goblins" from the compendium will instead drag from your journal copy. The trick is to re-name the local copy to something else. I can see how this might be annoying in the use case you outline above, but to change that behavior could absolutely wreck people's games.

Edited 1607622321
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Interesting. The feature makes sense; however, I can't seem to create a DMG Magic Item handout at all, even after renaming the handouts. I have been trying to make a handout that contains the Magic Item tables (A, B, etc.) and the mixing potions rules to no avail. Edit: To be thorough, I have tried dragging from each instance of Magic Items after renaming the new handouts AND after deleting all handouts with the name. And for clarity, I do not wish to replace a current handout, I would have just expected an additional handout that is named like "Magic Items 2" and increments for further additional handouts.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Curious. What is draggable and what is not seems to be all over the place. I can create a Flame Tongue handout, or a Random Encounters or Random Treasure handout, but not a Random Encounters: Sylvan Encounters. The latter seems to be because it is part of the the larger Random Encounters compendium entry, which is  draggable. The rule of thumb seems to be that subsections are not draggable, so anything with a colon (:) in the title is undraggable. Drag the parent document. So to get the magic item tables, drag the "Magic Items" entry with the "DMG" stamp. That will create a handout with all of the tables in it. However, I haven't run into a magic item which is not draggable. Examples? As an aside, as a PRO user, you do have one great resource:  HA! I was about to mention this great new script that makes handouts rollable, until I remembered whom I was talking to!

Edited 1607637822
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Lol! Ironically, this issue is brought about by trying to test the tables in said handout for that script. It is not a specific magic item that isn't draggable, it is the entire Magic Item handout that I am trying to produce that contains all of the Magic Item Tables and Potions/Scroll Mishaps tables. You are correct in that the subsections are what make them not draggable, which in turn means I cannot simply drag Magic Item Table F into the game to produce a handout; instead, I would need to drag the all-encompassing section but every time I try it defaults to the essentials kit handout. This happens even when dragging from the item that has the DMG tag on it. There are four instances of "Magic Item" currently and I have tried each of them separately with no luck. I am technically able to continue with testing through some copy/paste of innerHTML from the non drag and drop sections but that's a very crude solution.