Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Migrating Deprecated Attributes

mrianmerry
Pro
Sheet Author
In the latest update to the sheet I'm helping to maintain, I've refactored how we handle the sheet styling, and in doing so have eliminated the need for a few attributes.  The chances of these being used in a player macro are quite low, as they're simply "off" or "on" (and only one "on", at that!)  but I've taken steps to migrate what use they had to the new attribute via a sheet worker that runs on sheet open (and doesn't call the costly setAttrs if there's nothing to change) . What I want to know before I publish this change is twofold: How long is it prudent to maintain this migratory sheet worker in place? Are there any missed steps that I should take when removing attributes? Thanks for your time!

Edited 1607787893
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
The sheep migration code should remain indefinitely on the sheet, no real reason to remove it. Just make it so it runs/check only once, so that it's never triggered again after teh migration have been done, but the code exists so that if someone picks up their old campaign 2 years after the migration was done, the sheets will be updated once they have been opened at least once Speaking of, the Sheetworker pages on the Community Wiki could really do with a simple and clean example of how to migrate an attribute, if someone smarter than me is inclined to create one...

Edited 1607788569
mrianmerry
Pro
Sheet Author
I've put checks into the sheet workers to prevent them from doing the bulk of their processing in the event that things are "as-expected" for this version. Would probably be easier to just add a hidden attribute to hold a version number, and then run the migrations if the version is below their introduced point? ᐰndreas J.  said: but the code exists so that if someone picks up their old campaign 2 years after the migration was done, the sheets will be updated once they have been opened at least on Hadn't considered that possibility. I'll leave them in, then!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Would probably be easier to just add a hidden attribute to hold a version number, and then run the migrations if the version is below their introduced point? Yeah, that's how I've understood the more robust sheets have done it. The main 5e is pretty massive, but there should be other sheet examples on how versioning is handled. This section have some links to a versioning script by GiGs, that might be helpful: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Sheet_Author_Tips#Sheet_Versioning" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Sheet_Author_Tips#Sheet_Versioning</a>

Edited 1607821333
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm a big fan of the way Aaron handles versioning with a switch block, allowing fall-through for different versions. It's probably overkill for this purpose, and I haven't played in the Sheet Sandbox, but I don't see any reason why a switch block wouldn't work in a sheetworker. It's a kind of "fire and forget" approach - you just add to the end of the block each time you update, and if anyone is 5 versions behind they get the same updates as anyone else by falling through the version numbers. Very clever! It would need some tweaking to be sheet-specific, as the linked code is for an API script.

Edited 1607823026
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I added a link to Aaron's versioning to the wiki page.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The wikiGod strikes again!