Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Damage Reduction script request or work around

We are beginning to use the Damage Reduction variant rule from the Dungeon Master's guide. I am looking for a script that will automatically subtract the damage I input into Bar1 of tokens. The purpose of this so that I no longer have to ask the players what armor they are wearing or attempt to remember before I subtract DR from the amount of damage to input onto their character. Has this request been considered before that there is a work around or script floating out there?
First, I'm obviously a free account, so I couldn't be of much help with a script, but I have to ask, why are you the one applying the damage to the characters' sheets and not having the players do it? They should be taking into account damage reduction and resistance themselves.

Edited 1607913450
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I thought this was homebrew/3.5e, I've never noticed it in the DMG. Are you using the API at all? You could set up a macro to do this for you with ChatSetAttr. Create an Attribute per character called damageReduction (or whatever you want it to be) and set it to the appropriate amount. &{template:traits} !modattr --silent --charid @{selected|character_id} --hp|-{{description=@{selected|character_name} takes [[?{Damage caused|0}-@{selected|damageReduction}]] damage (@{selected|damageReduction} DR)}} !!! You could go a step further and automate the entire NPC attack via Powercards or something, but that's a bit of setup. Also, if you're going to use the same thing for NPC mooks, you might be better off with TokenMod, since the token values aren't usually linked to the sheet. It's functionally similar to ChatSetAttr only it works on tokens instead of character sheets.
Thank you Oosh! This was exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciation Barry S