Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LDL Emits Light Showing Players 2x Range

Edited 1607909856
I know that LDL is close to going away, but I'm still using it until UDL is updated enough that it can be used without my players being shown the entire map after they move (happened earlier today in my game). I'm hoping my issue can be corrected with a LDL option that I'm overlooking. I'm finding in both (2) of my games that characters are able to see 2x more distance than what their Emits Light is set to. Further, the GM view shows the correct distance. If I set a token with a Emits Light at 20 ft / 20 ft / 100, the player can see 40 ft. The multiplier is set to x1. I have tried resetting the options of the page and recreated with a new never used token. It completely baffles me. Example of the GM view with the selected token: Here is the Player view of the same token in the same location: If it matters, I'm using Windows 10. The GM view is Firefox and the Player view is Chrome (both browsers are up to date). But this isn't my system only. My players were the ones reporting this issue across different browsers, including Safari on a Mac. It should be stated that I'm not using any of the Fog of War options in LDL.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Do the player tokens have their multiplier set to 2?  I'm not sure what game system you are using, but in Pathfinder 1E any player character of a race with low light vision would have their multiplier set to 2 to account for seeing twice as far in low light conditions.

Edited 1607923028
@Kraynic Thank you for your reply. All of the tokens have their Multiplier option set to 1. I thought this may be the case, so I made sure of this during my testing before posting. I even deleted and recreated the token that had previously been set to 2.

Edited 1607923389
Have you checked the grid cell distance setting on the Page Details tab? I think the page may be scaled so that each square is 2.5 feet.
@Rabulias Good suggestion. I looked at my page settings. Everything appeared to be default (i.e. 70 px per square, 5 ft per square, Pathfinder/3.5). I took another screen shot with side-by-side comparisons of the same token. Player view on left, GM view on right with token properties.

Edited 1607954892
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
If those are really the settings for that token, something is broken with LDL. The edge of the light is consistent with putting the same number in the light radius and start of dim, but the distance is twice as far as it should be for the player (the GM view is correct). Yes, I know that's what you said. I'm just agreeing with you. I'll see if I can get similar results later. EDIT: Are there any other  tokens on the page that have the multiplier set to 2?
Actually, the GM view is not correct for 10/10. It would be correct for 20/10. 20 feet total light (so the end of dim), and after 10 ft. bright stops and dim starts. Correct for 10/10 would be same as 10/- : 10 feet bright, nothing after it. 
Thank you. There are other tokens on the page, but they are all either set with Multiplier = 1 (for PC tokens) or the Has Sight is unchecked (for NPC/monster tokens; I track what they can see visually). Further, the other tokens are separated in a completely different room from the token pictured. Brian C. said: If those are really the settings for that token, something is broken with LDL. The edge of the light is consistent with putting the same number in the light radius and start of dim, but the distance is twice as far as it should be for the player (the GM view is correct). Yes, I know that's what you said. I'm just agreeing with you. I'll see if I can get similar results later. EDIT: Are there any other  tokens on the page that have the multiplier set to 2?
Further testing... it appears the Multiplier is not working at all. I tried changing the Multiplier to 2 and .5 and even 0. Nothing changed on the player's view. The distance the player should see did not change. I believe at this time that this is the root of the problem.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Are any of the features of UDL turned on in the page settings? Or token settings, I guess.  I know there is a setting in UDL for that view distance, so if that is enabled somewhere maybe that is overriding the LDL setting?  I'm not somewhere I can test this, but thought I would throw it in the mix since it came to mind.
Good thought. I did use UDL settings in one game briefly (same one I've been posting the screenshots above), because I couldn't find the cause why the players were seeing twice as far as they soon. This doesn't appear to be an issue with UDL, but UDL has it own issues. Until UDL is fixed and usable on the public servers, I'm stuck with LDL. I did go through to be sure that the UDL options were turned off in all of the tokens (including Light Multiplier set to 100% under Advanced Options) and map pages on the one game. The other game never had UDL options enabled. Kraynic said: Are any of the features of UDL turned on in the page settings? Or token settings, I guess.  I know there is a setting in UDL for that view distance, so if that is enabled somewhere maybe that is overriding the LDL setting?  I'm not somewhere I can test this, but thought I would throw it in the mix since it came to mind.