Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it possible to save the settings of an avatar the same way you do with a token

When my players are in a battle map, I use the token with token actions on them. But when it's a social encounter I usually put a nice background and ask for the players to drop their avatar pictures on the background. This works well because the token actions are still linked to the avatar. However, I am unable to save the attributes linked to the 3 bar (colored circles) above the avatar pictures, it always resets. I'm I missing something or is impossible to do as of now?
Gold
Forum Champion
That is a nice approach, showing the portraits (avatars) during the social role-playing phases. I believe you would just treat the avatar exactly as if it is a token. I'm not a token expert but I think you (the GM) just click the avatar (that is to be treated like a token) and in its options, you the GM must set "Represents Character" and "Controlled By". See also, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Token_Features</a>
That's right Gold, but the problem is that, unlike a token, the avatar's information doesn't save. He has to re-set it every time, and that's the question... is there a way to save the settings? I believe the answer is 'no', but I've been wrong before. -Phnord
In fact, the avatar saves everything like the token except for which attributes are linked to what bar. It's set to none by default and I can't manage to save it. Also I kind of use the "bars" a lot, so that's why I would like it to be saved if possible.
Ok, set the token up, so the bars are linked to attributes. Then go into the character sheet. Delete the "Default token" that's set there. Set the token as default token. That should preserve the link. Otherwise you can make a start page or something and copy all PC tokens there, set up correctly. Then when on a new map you copy them from there and paste them into the map.
Oh wait. When you say "drop their pictures in the background" do you mean this: THEY open their character sheet, grab their picture from there and drag it onto the map? I'm fairly sure that is a bug and players should not do this. This is not how it's supposed to work and it will not retain any linked bars. YOU, the GM have to drag their Journal Entry onto the map to get the default token to show, set up as above.