Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whisper table macros to DM

Edited 1608140592
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I was reading a closed previous post about the Rolling Table Macro and trying to Whisper the result to the GM.  I found a way to do it, although it will take a bit of work if you have large tables already set up. In each table item, just begin it with /w gm Here is an example of my random encounter items in my table: /w gm [[1d6]] Ice Mephits /w gm [[1d3+1]] Wolves /w gm No Encounter It works perfectly!
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Just so you know,  You can accomplish a whispered table roll without editing each item. Here is the command: /w gm [[ 1t[ table-name ] ]]
Jordan C. said: Just so you know,  You can accomplish a whispered table roll without editing each item. Here is the command: /w gm [[ 1t[ table-name ] ]] No, that won’t accomplish the same effect as the other guy’s table. Not without API.

Edited 1608150988
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
I must be missing something and really need coffee: What does adding "/w gm " to an item accomplish? In the command I listed, I see a table result that is whispered to the gm and API isn't invoked at all. Also, I didn't see a whisper when I tried rolling an item with the added "/w gm " so I am really  missing something here. The roll handout tables script could maybe benefit from having this option if there is more user options available that I am unaware of.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think this trick is a non-API way of trying to get around the need for the Recursive Tables script?
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Maybe?  This was what I got when I tried OP's method:
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I am using the Roll Table Macros API.  While using that API, there is no way to whisper the table result within the command or macro written to execute the API.  This is a work around to allow the result to be whispered. Using the !rtm API, I am able to now roll on a random encounter table, have the result of [[1d6]] be rolled as part of the result, and have all of that be whispered to the DM. !rtm Encounter-Options ?{Encounter Location:| Arctic,!rtm Arctic-Encounter| Coast,!rtm Coast-Encounter| Desert,!rtm Desert-Encounter| Forest,!rtm Forest-Encounter| Grassland,!rtm Grassland-Encounter| Hill,!rtm Hill-Encounter| Mountain,!rtm Mountain-Encounter| Sea,!rtm Sea-Encounter| Swamp,!rtm Swamp-Encounter| Underdark,!rtm Underdark-Encounter| Underwater,!rtm Underwater-Encounter| Urban,!rtm Urban-Encounter}

Edited 1608221586
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, well another quick FYI - Recursive Tables is great for this. This macros will whisper results and roll the dice from a query: !rt /w gm ?{Which Table|A,[[ 1t[Alpha] ]]|B,[[ 1t[Bravo] ]]} resulting in this: coming from this: And lets you have a single line like so: !rt /w gm You encounter [[ 1t[Arctic_Enctr_Lvl_1-4] ]]
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Excellent suggestion, thanks!
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I finally found the original post I was referencing above: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6489066/whisper-table-macros-to-dm" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6489066/whisper-table-macros-to-dm</a>

Edited 1608223785
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I didnt mention before that I am using two !rtm calls to build this.&nbsp; The "You come across" portion is 1 of 10 items in a table.&nbsp; I could have done without the rtm on that and just used the 1t[] but I do not like fact that the 1t command returns the request as part of the response:&nbsp; rolling 1t[Encounter-Options] ( You are ambushed by) =0. I also do not like the =0 at the end.&nbsp; So I think your !rt is a more elegant solution.&nbsp; I am new to the API world, and saw that post so I figured I would post what I did to solve it with !rtm.
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Yeah the more ideas and brains the better! I was honestly making sure I wasn't missing something about RTs because I could always be improving stuff so I wanted to see if this solution did something I wasn't aware of.&nbsp; It is really hard to keep track of all the functionality across all the scripts!
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It is crazy and also awesome!&nbsp; Roll20 has a great community.&nbsp; Thanks all!
You can do this without API using a macro: /w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Random Ravenloft Encounter}} {{Occurance=[[1t[Ravenloft-Encounter-Occurance]]]}} {{Encounter=[Encounter](`[[1t[RavenloftEncounterTable]]])}}
Actually just using a template seems to be enough!