Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Easy variations on a creature's token?

Say I want to drag multiples of a particular NPC or creature onto the map. Is there an easy way to give provide an assortment of images which it cycles through or picks one at random, so it's not so repetitive? In other words, the same creature but with variations on the tokens, without having to do it manually.

Edited 1608672605
Here's the procedure I used for random commoners: Make a rollable table consisting of token images of different variations of your creature, then hit the "token" button next to that table. This will produce a multi-sided token, and, for each instance of that multi-sided token, you can either choose which side is displayed or generate a random side to be displayed. Then, if you want to, you can edit the multi-sided token, assign it to a particular creature, and edit the creature's character sheet to make your multi-sided token the default. Edit: There's still a tiny bit of "manual" to the process (hitting "Random" or choosing among the images assigned to each token), so this might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it works for me. I hope this helps.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The best bit about the random side option of a rollable table token is that you can group select all of them and hit random side as a group.  No need to do single tokens out of a group unless you are redoing certain ones to remove duplicate results.
Can confirm this works, but I wonder if there's an easy way to automate it to choose a random image every time I drag an NPC from the journal to the map... rather than having to click every time. This is for larger groups of NPCs usually.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Not that I know of, but since you have a pro subscription you might want to ask about automation of that in the api forum.  There might already be a script that can do that for all I know.