Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can players bring their own tokens?

I am running a game and one of my players has found a token maker and has made his own token. He would like to use it in our game. For some reason, when I try to bring in a token while logged in "as a player," my attempts to load a token on my computer result in my browser showing me the token as a file location on my computer instead of dragging onto the virtual tabletop. Is it just me or can players not add their own tokens? I can understand why it would be so, in order to prevent players from filling the tablespace with funky tokens/pictures. Do I need to drag/drop it for him?
I think the Gm is the only one who can add elements to the game.
Gold
Forum Champion
Yep. Either have the Player send you (the GM) a Link to where they've put the token online (They can put it on Photobucket or Imgur or the like, for free)... Or ask them to email the file to you (or send to you on Dropbox).
I believe that, officially (as per Riley Himself), the ability of the player to add their own token exists, is a bug, and will not be 'corrected' any time soon. This is based off a dimly-remembered series of posts about this very thing, some 5-6 months ago, which I can't be arsed to look up. But yes, they know about this already. What To Do: As a GM, provide a character sheet to a player. Make sure they have full access, both to edit and to control. As a player, open the sheet and hit the big EDIT button. In the upper left now, you'll see an AVATAR section; as a player, you are able to insert an image here. Do so, and save. Either the player or the GM can now drag, from the journals section, that image onto the map. It will, as mentioned in THIS THREAD , not have any of the attribute bars at this point. However, it will be linked to the character sheet from which it was created, in that any token actions will be available. As GM, now all that's needed is to set those bars As Per Token Type , and then set THAT token as the 'default token'. Only the GM can do this part. But, since the players can upload their own avatar image, in effect they can thereby load up their own tokens. It just takes a bit of setup. I have done this exact process several times in the past few weeks, and it works just fine. -Phnord Edit: I just tried this as a player in someone else's game, and it works. The only limitation is in the placing of the AVATAR image on the map; one must save the image, then drag it from the bio&info page on the character sheet, not the journal tab's listing (as the GM can do.) Edit 2: Proof Edit 3: Oh, and the player cannot delete or erase the image once it's placed. Sorry Sam! q;}
Gold
Forum Champion
Phnord Prephect said: Edit 3: Oh, and the player cannot delete or erase the image once it's placed. Sorry Sam! q;} I think there may be one way they can sort-of delete it. This is buggy and/or unintended and/or is a workaround if you the Player really wants to delete the image. This may be wrong so correct me if you find differently (last time I did it like this was a couple months ago). I think that if the Player went into Edit Bio and uploaded their own Avatar picture, by drag-dropping onto their own Bio, then it is Uploading the image from their computer to the Player's Roll20 Library (your collection of uploaded art assets). If the Player later goes into their own Library (which you cannot do from inside your GM's campaign, but you can do it outside their game, in your own campaign where you are the GM, you can access your Art Library there), the person could delete the art asset from their own library. Thereafter it would appear as a broken graphic symbol (the so-called "Red X" or broken-graphic symbol) in your GM's campaign map. As a GM, I would look at this as a bug, in that a Player could create a 'broken graphic' on your map, and the GM would be left with no reference link to the deleted avatar image. As a player it's certainly a feature to be able to Upload your own self-selected avatar image, and have it appear on your character Bio in your GM's campaign, a great feature on Roll20. Whether the Player should be able to drop their self-uploaded image onto the GM's map, I have heard it may be considered a bug as Phnord described, and it is unknown if this will change in the future.
The ability for players to add their own graphics to the map is definitely a big. It's also not sized correctly and will usually be really large. Much better and easier to just give your token to the GM and he adds it.
I use a token maker and ask them to submit a picture they would like turned into a token. Quality control for me, custom tokens for them.

Edited 1403970442
I would love the ability to have the players at least be able to drag characters etc onto the map is they have control of it. I have templates for area of effect, as an example, and I always have to drag it on for them.