Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Consumable Rollable Table

I'd be surprised if this is a new question, but so far my search-fu isn't sufficient and I can't find the answer.  Or, if this is a new question maybe I'll get lucky and intrigue The Aaron so I don't have to write it myself.... :-) I want a rollable table where each item is removed as it is selected.  Could be encounters, unique treasure, NPC names, whatever:  I don't care what order they come out in, but once it's been selected I don't want to get the same X again.  (bonus points:  maybe I want to get a maximum of Y instances of thing X before it is removed from the table?)  I mention The Aaron since such a functionality combined with recursive tables would be an awesome tool:  certainly only the most brave and powerful GMs could wield such a device.....
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could do this with a card deck...

Edited 1608962981
I played around with the cards but couldn't identify a low-impact way of interacting with them.  Weights can be simulated by adding a certain number of each card to the deck - that's easy.  Creating an image for the card backs isn't so bad.  But it seems like I have to create an image for each card front individually?  That's a non-starter.   On top of all of that I really don't want/need the skeuomorphism of having hands and physically passing cards to players or putting them into my own hand..... I really just want to be able to push a button to invoke an API or macro, get some data whispered to me and then be able to move forward with the game with minimal delay.... edit:  @keithcurtis if I am mistaken, please set me straight!  I don't want to seem that I'm discounting your suggestion out-of-hand, I'm just trying to find a solution that addresses my need while disrupting the narrative as little as possible.
On the deck suggestion (which is what you are describing, btw. A deck fits it perfectly) i do not believe each front needs to be unique. (for example, i think it is acceptable to have 4 minor healing potion cards, each named "minor healing" or the like. In any event, a minimalist deck should be very simple to make images for, just text on a white background with the same dimensions for each card.

Edited 1608991862
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
I imagine you could do this by tagging items and removing the tag before the result gets sent, then deleting the table item with that tag afterwards.  You could do it without tags as well, I just see it as conceptually easier to use them. Edit: forget the tags, you already get the item ID when you catch the result.