Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Charactermancer bug 5e OGL charactersheet still

I own the PHB, XGE, TCE, SCAG, and MHH... when using the charactermancer to create a 12th level Human Variant School of Evocation Wizard I'm running into this issue I've submitted a request already but wanted to put something in the forums to see if anyone else has come across this issue or found a fix for it.

Edited 1609469187
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Isn't this just a notice to the user? I have always been able to move forward with the process even without meeting the prerequisites. The feat also shows up on my character sheets when I finish the process.  Edit: Meaning to say that I don't think it is a bug - just a visual indication of the feats RAW limitations since it doesn't restrict anything programmatically.
Jordan C. said: Isn't this just a notice to the user? I have always been able to move forward with the process even without meeting the prerequisites. The feat also shows up on my character sheets when I finish the process.  Edit: Meaning to say that I don't think it is a bug - just a visual indication of the feats RAW limitations since it doesn't restrict anything programmatically. Prodigy gives you benefits as does Elemental Adept that you have to choose... if you don't meet the requirments for the feats you can't take them thus not giving you the ability to select them in the charactermancer. I would expect once you choose Prodigy you should be able to pick which new skill/tool/language you want and which skill you want expertise in. Elemental Adept I would imagine it would make you choose the element so it would appear on the character sheet as "Lightning Elemental Adept" or something of that nature.

Edited 1609511664
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, well in the same sentiment, I would classify that as a missing feature instead of a bug - many of the feats (including Skilled, Magic Initiate, Skill Expert, Fighting Initiate, Linguist, etc.) have things that need to be chosen by the player but are not chosen in the Charactermancer. (These can be manually added afterwards, and persist after each new level) For some this may be a bug involving the section screenshotted below, but neither Prodigy nor Elemental Adept have that scenario in their descriptions. Edit: The prerequisite part has no effect on the selection of abilities if they are provided; a Tiefling could take a feat for Dwarves and still choose from a drop down list if it is provided.
I would classify this as a design choice.  It notifies you of the requirements, it's up to you to fulfill them. Note that enforcing it could break a lot of campaigns with optional, home-brew rules.  Mine included, so I prefer the notification method rather than an enforcement of the rules.
Jordan C. said: Ah, well in the same sentiment, I would classify that as a missing feature instead of a bug - many of the feats (including Skilled, Magic Initiate, Skill Expert, Fighting Initiate, Linguist, etc.) have things that need to be chosen by the player but are not chosen in the Charactermancer. (These can be manually added afterwards, and persist after each new level) For some this may be a bug involving the section screenshotted below, but neither Prodigy nor Elemental Adept have that scenario in their descriptions. Edit: The prerequisite part has no effect on the selection of abilities if they are provided; a Tiefling could take a feat for Dwarves and still choose from a drop down list if it is provided. The charactermancer is supposed imo automate the leveling process to make it quicker and easier. If I was going to have to manually add those things myself why would I use the charactermancer? It does well with most other things, those were just specific examples that I noticed. I knew some of the other feats prompted choices so when those did not that's why I thought it might be a bug. Anthony said: I would classify this as a design choice.  It notifies you of the requirements, it's up to you to fulfill them. Note that enforcing it could break a lot of campaigns with optional, home-brew rules.  Mine included, so I prefer the notification method rather than an enforcement of the rules. The feats could still be added manually in the case of homebrew rules. IMO charactermancer should be to automate and simplify leveling with RAW... it keeps things simple and if it's RAW then there isn't an issue of "it works like this for this person, but not me"

Edited 1609522142
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not arguing whether the feature should exist or not, just pointing out that it doesn't seem to be a bug, which is what this particularly forum discusses. I also think it would be nice to have that be what happens, but wanting it doesn't put it in the bug category.  Edit to add: I definitely don't think it should add restrictions at all. That would cause more harm to games than it would help them.