Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with NPC Saving Throws Macro

I've been trying to set up a template character to start adding in some homebrew monsters from D&D Beyond mainly for having them just drag and droppable into the game but I've run into a snag with finding or trying to create a token action for the NPC's saving throws. I found a few online but none of them really seem to do the trick properly. I've mostly set everything up with the creature's saving throws but with the macro I use currently: /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+@{strength_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{strength_save_bonus}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+@{dexterity_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{dexterity_save_bonus}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+@{constitution_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{constitution_save_bonus}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+@{intelligence_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{intelligence_save_bonus}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+@{wisdom_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{wisdom_save_bonus}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+@{charisma_save_bonus}]] | [[1d20+@{charisma_save_bonus}]]}} It doesn't seem to, for example, add the 7 bonus to strength that they creature has when rolling this. Just does the base d20 roll + modifier. The creature created has a Strength of 18 for a +4 to checks and saving throws with proficiency in it as well, with the grand total coming up to 7. Does anyone how how to solve this or is it the fault of the macro?
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
If you are referring to a custom NPC stat block, the attribute is called a different name than that for a PC sheet. You need "@{npc_str_save}" for example or "@{npc_str_save_base}" which includes the math operator.
Hey Thanks! I changed all the references to npc_str_STAT_base and they ended up working! Appreciate the help! /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+@{npc_str_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_str_save_base}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+@{npc_dex_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_dex_save_base}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+@{npc_con_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_con_save_base}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+@{npc_int_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_int_save_base}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+@{npc_wis_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_wis_save_base}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+@{npc_cha_save_base}]] | [[1d20+@{npc_cha_save_base}]]}}
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
No problem!
You can use this one if you want the wtype template. /w gm  @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} @{selected|npc_name_flag} @{selected|rtype}+?{Save|Strength,[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]}}{{rname=Strength saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Dexterity,[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]}}{{rname=Dexterity saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Constitution,[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]}}{{rname=Constitution saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Intelligence,[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]}}{{rname=Intelligence saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Wisdom,[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]}}{{rname=Wisdom saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Charisma,[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]}}{{rname=Charisma saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} }
Rober M. said: You can use this one if you want the wtype template. /w gm  @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} @{selected|npc_name_flag} @{selected|rtype}+?{Save|Strength,[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_str_save}]]}}{{rname=Strength saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Dexterity,[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_dex_save}]]}}{{rname=Dexterity saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Constitution,[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_con_save}]]}}{{rname=Constitution saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Intelligence,[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_int_save}]]}}{{rname=Intelligence saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Wisdom,[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_wis_save}]]}}{{rname=Wisdom saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} |Charisma,[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]]]}} {{mod=[[@{selected|npc_cha_save}]]}}{{rname=Charisma saving throw}} {{type=Roll}} } Oh damn thanks! Saves me a ton of chat space with that instead of billowing out a full stat list for everyone! I still haven't learned how to exactly use the drop down menu to create my own macros for ability checks, but looking at this makes me think it's gonna be worth learning
Jordan C.
Pro
API Scripter
If you want a working example to deconstruct here is a version of what I use that has worked well for me (also has links for the saving throw/ability checks:  Universal Skill Checks .