Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[DnD 5e] Looking for 1 player for ancient Greece inspired, homebrew game

Edited 1611873101
Game time and date: Saturdays, 8 PM GMT+2 Looking for one player to join in an ongoing campaign set in a high fantasy, pseudo historical version of pre-Persian Wars ancient Greece. The players are chosen champions of one of the Olympian gods, whose mission is to assist the gods in an ongoing war against eldritch gods from another world. We are running a serious, roleplay-heavy campaign with a lot of lore but we’re friendly to both veterans and newbies alike. We’re also LGBT+ friendly and a relaxed group. Current party is level 10 and consists of: A Dwarf (Telchine) Armorer Artificer - Champion of Hephaestus A Drow (Lampad Nymph) Roguelock  - Champion of Hermes A Satyr (homebrew) Wildfire Druid - Champion of Demeter and a Satyr (homebrew) Hexblade - Champion of Artemis After initial approval, you’ll be able to join in a little interview with the group, made through Discord, to make sure we’re all compatible and to discuss your character idea and plans, before we make our final decision. Requirements for applying: Discord + decent microphone for voice chat; enough free time to attend a 4-hour session every week; an appetite for fun and adventure; a love for roleplay-heavy games with characters that can be adapted to seamlessly fit and blend in well with the world; a tolerance for memes and low humor, (heroic?) nudity and learning through playing; and a passing familiarity with Greek mythology. Sources Allowed: The Player's Handbook & Errata Revised Ranger Xanathar's Guide to Everything Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Volo’s Guide to Monsters Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide Tales of Old Margreve Midgard Heroes Eberron Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything Homebrew classes and races will not be allowed for this game for balancing and lore purposes, sorry! UA is on a case to case basis, and Homebrew backgrounds, custom rulings and spells may be allowed, if they are fair and balanced and more importantly, if they fit the setting; I'll have to review everything before I make a call. There is a setting-mandated limitation on allowed races. The 'default' races are Aasimar, Centaur (homebrew), Dragonborn, Elves (gender locked to female only because they're standing in for nymphs), Half-Elf, Human, Minotaur (homebrew), Satyr (homebrew), Siren (homebrew) and Tiefling. Alternative races are allowed on a strict case by case basis. For example: dwarves stand in for the primordial lesser demigods called Telchines and as such are extremely rare. I'm open to discussions about possibilities but I maintain the final word. Disclaimer: This is a very setting-and-lore heavy game. Elements of the allowed sources may be disallowed to preserve the integrity of the setting and the immersion of all participants. Please respect this decision. Try to come up with character concepts that fit the setting. Don’t ask to be a nordic dwarf in an ancient Greek setting who worships Thor. The point is to play local people who are close to and chosen by the Greek gods.    Some further disclaimers: Don’t worry if you don’t know Greek mythology or ancient daily life in excruciating detail. This is a game, not an exam. You are free and encouraged to ask your Greek archaeology nerd DM questions OOC or make various checks IC to gain information about various mythological or setting topics. Nobody is going to punish you for asking for information -- unless you’re asking the BBEGs. Then I can’t help you. Topics like disease and death, slavery (as functioned in ancient Greece), war and its atrocities, crime, sex and nudity are major themes of Greek mythology and history; they come up, through various perspectives. If at any time you feel uncomfortable, please remain civil, request a timeout and sit down and talk with the rest of the group for the best possible resolution. The views and opinions expressed by characters within the game do not reflect the DM or the players' own beliefs and ethics. Remember that this is fiction. Please be civil in discussing them with your DM and other players. We are here to play a game. There will be conflict and problems and content that might be difficult, but it’s there for your characters to deal with as heroes do, not simply to upset anyone. We are not here to solve real world politics and societal problems. Remember that your group are humans, not mere voices on the other end of Discord. We are not running an explicit 18+ game, but nudity is just about everywhere and you will have to cope with it. You will be naked at times. It’s a setting where people dress in what is essentially bedsheets, it happens. Please be chill about it. Sexual themes will get the 'fade to black' treatment and any “creeper” behavior on your part will first earn you a single warning, then an insta-kick from the game if you carry on. Please resist the temptation to re-create hackneyed pop-culture interpretations of Greek mythology for this game. Characters like Percy Jackson, Kratos or Kassandra from Assassin’s Creed will not make the cut. Yes, we’ve heard all the Zeus jokes already. Please don’t. Don’t forget to include the code word “Malakas” in your app, so I know you read it all through. If you wanna know what it means, ask me. :D What your characters should know: The world is well into the Age of Iron, the Heroic Age is in the past. Like much of the rest of the Hellenic world, you are aware that the Olympians have been curiously distant from the world for the last 50-odd years. They aren't gone but their presence is not felt as closely as before. Nobody you have met is certain why, or if they do, they are reluctant to disclose it. Hellas is far from united. City states are at odds, squabbling over land, dominance and resources. Disease has swept through some, leaving behind shaken people trying to rebuild their lives. Strange creatures everyone calls ‘Nostoi’ (singular: Nostos) have been appearing throughout Hellas and nobody can explain why or what they are. They are aggressive and appear and vanish seemingly at random. The monsters of the old world have yet to breathe their last and bear down upon civilization. Travel has become difficult over the past few decades due to an increase in brigands and other roadside perils, as tensions brew stronger between the city states of Hellas and the Persian Empire to the east is making moves to consolidate its hold on the Hellenic colonies of Asia Minor. In short, you’re thrust into a fantasy version of Greece shortly before the Persian Wars. We’ll figure out how your character meets the party, before your first session with us. Player Info What should we call you: Gender/Pronouns: Experience: Expectations of the game: Character Info Name: Race: Class: Personality: Brief Backstory:

Edited 1611866211
Player Info What should we call you: ivo ( Malakas ) Gender/Pronouns: him Experience: 1y+ exp Expectations of the game:  have fun nights with a lot of roleplay jokes, puns and some sad, intense  moments of combats Character Info Name: Winter Race: Tabaxi (if  not possible) something else of the races => would like to speak with GM what is best Class: Gloom Stalker Ranger Personality: Chaotic Good Brief Backstory: Daughter of known king she was abandoned  as a kid because she was a girl (he wanted a son),  raised  for a few years by  Artemis, she became a great hunter knowing how to track and kill animals for living, but also protect them. At some point  about 10 years old Artemis left her so she can be raised by humans. The humans who found her  ware a bunch of bounty hunters and assassins being raised by them she learned how to kill humans,  although that she is not fan of it, she prefers to track down and resolve everything without a fight.
Player Info (Malakas) What should we call you: Wally Gender/Pronouns: He/Him Experience: 4-5 years Expectations of the game: Have fun time playing dnd while exploring/interacting with greek mythology. Character Info Name: Tulipa Race: Siren  Class: Druid Shepherd Personality: She is friendly with pretty much everyone, and loved to care for and keep the forest and its animals safe. She is very curious about new things that she finds. She is a bit shy when it comes to civilization however, and tended to try keep a safe distance from most civilized folks. Brief Backstory: Lived alone isolated from civilization. She loved to interact with animals, and protect the natural life around her. Always curious about civilized folks but was never able to work out the courage to leave her small "groove". Whenever people wondered into "her territory" she kept an eye on them from the side and would at times provide assistance in form of medicine, food, and similar things while staying out of sight when doing so.

Edited 1611884952
Player Info What should we call you: Justin Gender/Pronouns: He/Him Experience:  Never played in a campaign, I have all the core mechanics down and have several sourcebooks I have also watched a few DnD campaigns and played around with character creating as well. Experience of the game: Just have fun and create fun friendships Character Info Name: Zerilus Race: Tiefling Class: Paladin Personality: Zerilus being 19 is still immature being a young adult(he would tell you he is very mature.) He takes his decision-making very seriously as he doe not want to disappoint the goddess Athena. Zerilus tries to learn from all especially those who are wise. He adds the teachings he is taught throughout his adventures and tries to apply it to his life whenever applicable in such a chaotic time. He seeks to bring law and justice to this land for the good of the people and through the divine will of Athena. (Lawful Good) Brief Backstory: Being Born a Tiefling naturally Zerilus was discriminated against by other races. It didn't help that his parents lived to the stereotypes of the race by thieving and stealing innocent goods. Due to being born in poverty Zerilus was forced into the business by his parents. One night his parents were caught by local police and were executed for their crimes. This lead Zerilus to scraping by and starving on the streets. Then one day approached by a Priest of Athena named Thydos. Zerilus was taken under Thydos as his protege as he saw potential in the boy. These teachings of Athena made Zerilus realize the good he could do for his race and kind. So he undertook the passage of the Paladins to amend his mistakes and to avenge his fallen parents. He is now 19 and ready to depart into the world putting his oath to the test as he sets out for an adventure.

Edited 1611951200
Shiev
Plus
Player Info What should we call you: Brandon (Malakas) Gender/Pronouns: he/him Experience: 1+ years Expectations of the game: An unique world where we are taken through ancient greece and all its unique intricacy heart Character Info Name: Gothar Race: Half-Orc  (i'm willing to change race if it doesn't work) Class:  Barbarian Personality: A reserved man who is quick to anger but strives to do good and help those who need it. Chaotic Good Brief Backstory: Was raised in a small town in which a majority or citizens were cultists. After being forced to be part of many rituals in which he was forced to sacrifice animals and people he was forced to sacrifice his parents to prove his dedication. With a heavy heart  he did but shortly afterwards being plagued by nightmares of their death he fled the town. While fleeing he was pursued by several cultists from the town and after a brief battle against them lost his left arm.  
Player Info What should we call you: Convoluted/Con/Malakas Gender/Pronouns: She/her Experience: New (one current 3.5e campaign, one finished 5e one-shot) Expectations of the game: I want to expand my experience in DnD and get more comfortable role-playing as well as make some more friends. I also am really intrigued by this setting so I'm excited to explore it. Character Info Name: Delphine (for now) Race: Dragonborn (most likely green/poison breath for my proposed background) Class: Paladin (Oath of Watcher) Personality: Inexperienced with social interaction due to her strict upbringing, Delphine pretends to be aloof to cover her confusion and/or awkwardness. Also low evaluation of self-worth (will readily sacrifice herself) due to the conditioning of her upbringing which emphasized her place as a tool in this war, not as an individual being. Brief Backstory: I'm taking some liberties with the world-building, but what I am thinking is that the Python of Delphi was a dragon. When Apollo defeated Python, the children of Python (the dragonborn) stayed around in service to the oracles of Delphi. When the gods became more distant, the oracle of Delphi received a prophecy directing her to have a dragonborn raised as a warrior and to send that warrior into the fight against these alien gods. Delphine has been raised in full knowledge that her destiny was to fight in this holy war as Champion of Apollo. If this character/backstory is incompatible with existing world-building, I was also thinking about a siren barbarian but I have some questions about the siren homebrew race you are using. The Greek siren I think of is the woman head, woman torso, bird body with claws rather than the siren homebrew race I found, which was more of a mermaid. If I get to the interview process, I would love to discuss character options with you since I am not set on one particular character.
Hey! Tried messaging but im not sure it worked. Are you still looking for a player? :)
Hey there, thanks for showing interest but the spot was filled a while back! Good luck going forward and take care.