Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I can't open again a Handout once I close it

Using the Chrome browser, once I open a Handout in my game and close it I am not able to open it again.  I've been exploring if anyone else had this problem before and found some messages about compatibility issues with the Chrome browser and its updates. Therefore I did all the steps that are recommended in this forum: -I tried to use the Firefox browser and everything works perfectly, so it led me to the conclusion that the problem was Chrome. - I reinstalled Chrome, removed all the extensions, cleaned cache and updated to the latest version and the problem was solved. It seems that Chrome had an update 5 days ago. Has anyone else had this problem recently? Many Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have not experienced this problem. I am on Chrome Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (x86_64) Are you the author of the handouts in question? Are you a GM while trying to open them?
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've seen other reports of Beyond20 causing issues with Chrome. Were you using that at all?
Do you mean what version of Chrome am I using? Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit) Or do you mean what game?
keithcurtis said: I have not experienced this problem. I am on Chrome Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (x86_64) Are you the author of the handouts in question? Are you a GM while trying to open them? Yes I'm the Game Master and the Author of them
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hugo G. said: Do you mean what version of Chrome am I using? Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit) Or do you mean what game? I think Oosh was asking if you were using Beyond20.

Edited 1602680447
I have the same issue here since 1 week. It's really annoying, and i have to press F5 everytime it happens. Now i'm scared of closing handouts or CS ! I use Linux and Windows version of Chrome and always have the same issue. My current version is  Version 86.0.4240.75 (Build officiel) (64 bits)  and i changed nothing in my options.
i just started having the problem of not being able to open handouts.  not ones i have created, and I am the GM. im in dragon heist.  Hitting F5 reconnects and i can open them again.  is this what you are talking about in this thread?  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have just run into this as well, several times today. Usually with ones that I had popped into their own windows, but I can't be certain that was true of all of them. Refreshing fixed it, but... annoying.
I know that I've double clicked on the header of handout to iconise them (particular character sheets).  When I alt-clicked on a token to open the handout it doesn't open, it just flashes where the collapsed header is on the screen. Of course, this might be a totally different issue.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, this is different. It's nowhere to be seen.

Edited 1606608440
I am having the same problem in Chrome and have been for some time.  In my own game, if I click on a handout, it will open once. If I close it, it will not let me open it again until I have exited the game/reloaded the game.  I have disabled all my extensions, cleared my cache and even shut off my anti-virus.  Nothing seems to work.  This is VERY annoying. Has anyone posting here come up with a solution to the problem? I am using Chrome version  Version 87.0.4280.66 (Official Build) (64-bit)   on Windows 10 ( os build 18363.1139)
This happens to me too. Very annoying.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has been reported in other threads and in the Help center as well. It is an issue with Chrome only, apparently, and the only workaround at the moment is to not pop sheets out into their own window (or use Firefox, I suppose). Sheets that remain engaged in the main window can be opened and closed normally. I have not heard anything about a fix time.
Is someone addressing this? I am having the same issue. Open a handout as Gm and then close  it. Then I can't open it again without F5 reboot and starting over. This is not optimal! 
As of last week, 12/04/20, this was a problem in both Brave and Firefox for me (GM) as well as all of my players. None of us are using Beyond 20. You've known it's a problem. You know it's still a problem. Please fix it.
I had the same issue on friday, with my Out of the Abyss campaign, made from roll20.
Wow this many people with the issue and no response yet? Would love a fix for this annoying bug.

Edited 1609595894
Steve
Plus
I have this problem too (as DM).  Refreshing the Chrome tab (F5) seems to work--thanks for the tip.  Sure would like to get this fixed as it (really) interrupts game play.
Had this problem since summer 2020, still the case in Jan 2021.
Clicking on Edit and after Cancel modification refresh the pop up.
I am also having this problem; once a popup window has been opened, and then closed, for a journal item, I cannot open it again. (Torgak, refreshing the pop up is not the issue. The problem is that once the pop up window is closed, it cannot repoen at all). How do we get this issue fixed? Do we need to submit some kind of report to Roll20?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have submitted a  Help Center Request  twice, with no resolution yet. Feel free to do the same, since this may increase pressure to find a solution. The issue seems to have appeared after a Chrome update a few months ago. My guess is that this introduced something that is blocking a simple solution.

Edited 1611015633
Nathaniel said: I am also having this problem; once a popup window has been opened, and then closed, for a journal item, I cannot open it again. (Torgak, refreshing the pop up is not the issue. The problem is that once the pop up window is closed, it cannot repoen at all). How do we get this issue fixed? Do we need to submit some kind of report to Roll20? I, too, reported this a couple months ago.&nbsp; Other than a form email saying that they handed the issue over to the Development Dept, I have heard nothing. :(&nbsp; Here is my email text (minus the actual log): Description of the problem: As the host/GM of a game (using the Chrome browser) I am unable to reopen any "Handout" once I have opened it and closed it. This situation lasts until I leave the game and log back in. It doesn't matter if it's in pop-out form or not. Once I have closed the handout, if I try to click on it again, I get absolutely nothing, not an empty frame or anything. This is unlike the minor annoyance issue of sometimes having the character sheets open up as a blank frame with nothing but an EDIT button. When that occurs, all I have to do is hit EDIT and then cancel the edit frame and the regular sheet appears fine. Annoying but not game breaking. This only happens in Chrome, not Firefox. It has been occurring for perhaps a month or longer. It happens whether I enable or disable my few extensions. I can not really run my game using Firefox, because it does not allow me to group tab my NPC sheets. I tend to run with multiple character sheets open and toggle back and forth as necessary. Chrome is the only real choice I have. Steps to reproduce: Pretty well detailed above. Open a handout, close it and try to open the same handout again. Will not open again until I log out and log back in. This will happen with every single handout and once they have been opened I can not reopen them in the same game. Description of your setup: Web Browser: Chrome Browser Version: Chrome 87.0.4280.88 Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit) If Javascript is enabled: Yes Link to Roll20 profile: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/users/662992/mitchel-m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/users/662992/mitchel-m</a> Link to game: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7556815/a-couple-things-to-do-in-denver-when-you-are-dead" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/7556815/a-couple-things-to-do-in-denver-when-you-are-dead</a> Screenshots/screen recordings: There is no way to visually capture the issue. When I click on a link to a handout I previously opened, it does nothing. List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled: Adblock Plus, Google Docs Offline, Windscribe (However, it doesn't matter whether they are enabled or not; I have the same issues. Have tried multiple times turning each independently and also all on and off before and during the game.) Console log: (Note: I copied the entire available log. I know the last lines pertain to the problem as I watched them appear as I duplicated the process. It has something to do with "already has child window" which makes layman's sense) Here is the response I received: Your request (37996) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email. Hi there, Thank you for the information. We have used this to fill out and submit a bug ticket for our Development team to help assist with. We appreciate your patience. If there is anything else you might need assistance with in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out to us again. Best, - Roll20 Team Several days later I received another form letter asking how I rated their service and response.&nbsp; I replied "Bad, I am unsatisfied.."

Edited 1611455835
I found a fix that worked for me. If you are logged in as GM go to the settings. The second check box below "Master music volume level" that says "Use window popouts for characters" make sure that is un-checked. Any handouts that had been opened that session wont open. but if you close the game and come back. they pop up in the browser. NOTE: I am using Chrome Browser.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is the workaround mentioned above, yes. This has been reported in a number of threads and&nbsp; Help Center Requests . As yet, there is no acknowledgement of the problem or estimate for a fix time.

Edited 1611537508
keithcurtis said: That is the workaround mentioned above, yes. This has been reported in a number of threads and&nbsp; Help Center Requests . As yet, there is no acknowledgement of the problem or estimate for a fix time. Oh, I must just be over looking that post when I read through them.&nbsp; Hope it helps someone.
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
I too am having this with chrome, the workaround did not work for me, as it was not checked.&nbsp; I did however previously have the journal popped out.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Giger said: I too am having this with chrome, the workaround did not work for me, as it was not checked.&nbsp; I did however previously have the journal popped out. Popping the journal out is what causes the problem. Having that option checked is just one way of popping the journal out.
Yes, this problem is very annoying. I would expect at least some reaction from the Support :(
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
All I know is that they are aware of the issue (I have filed it twice). There has been no public confirmation of it or a timeline for a fix. (This is not unusual.)
Still unfixed.
I am also having this same issue, since late last year
I am having the same issue as the GM using Chrome on a Macbook. Some handouts, not all, do not launch after the first launch.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My third report in as many months finally got an official acknowledgement of the issue and a promise to investigate and get back to me. That's not the same as a promise to fix, but it's the best I've gotten so far.
Also having this issue. I pop out a Journal Entry and then if I close it, it won't reopen unless I logout and back into the game.
Come across this error today.&nbsp; Really annoying.
I have been having this issue as well.

Edited 1615443390
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone, We are actively investigating this issue and working towards a solution as soon as possible. To keep things tidy I am going to close this thread and redirect folks over here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884745/unable-to-load-slash-access-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884745/unable-to-load-slash-access-character-sheets</a> We will be posting updates there as we have them.
I have reopened this thread. This issue is unrelated to recent reports. Apologies for my mistake here!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Drespar!
Hello !&nbsp; Same problem here. Being curious, I go in the console to see what happens : at the first click on the handout, it opens and no message. I close it, then, at the second click, the message "Already has child window!" appears (in the file app.js?1617723870, I guess ...), if it could help. (sorry for approximative english :/ )
I have been dealing with this situation, too, for the past few months.&nbsp; I'm using Chrome&nbsp; Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (x86_64).&nbsp; It doesn't matter whether the handout is popped out to its own window or not, nor if it's a handout I authored or came as part of the purchased module.&nbsp; Once I close it I can't re-open it unless I exit/reenter the game.&nbsp; One thing I've found, however, that I haven't seen anyone else mention:&nbsp; This is only a problem for me in one campaign that I run (Dragon Heist - Summer).&nbsp; If I'm in one of my other 3 or 4 campaigns (including DH Autumn or Spring), everything works fine.&nbsp; This leads me to think that it's not a Chrome issue, but rather some setting within my Dragon Heist Summer campaign that has been changed.&nbsp; &nbsp;
Rogue
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Yes I have had this same issue for a long time. Mine also has nothing to do with the handout being popped out it is strange. It is simply if I open a handout at all and close it, I will not be able to open it again without a refresh. Using Chrome as well, after switching to Firefox had no problem. I just do not like using Firefox for some reason.
David
Sheet Author
Has there been any movement on this?. Having to refresh a page to get access to a handout that you have previously popped out and closed&nbsp; is really disruptive.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd really like an answer as well. The latest Round Table ran out of time before they got to my second question, which was about this. This is a Chrome issue, and Chrome is a supported browser. No acknowledgement other than Help Center form letters is disappointing. This has been going on for over 7 months.
Havoc
Pro
Compendium Curator
I can throw an additional voice onto the pile of experiencing this issue - and hey, if I was a betting man I'd guess it's connected to the same issue of chat not being able to automatically be re-added to the bar after popping it &nbsp;out.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It is true of any popped out window, but only in Chrome.
The Problem seems to be related to Chrome and some Changes Google made in the past. The Problem only occurs in Chrome and only, if you open them in a new Browser Window. If you have Window Popouts disabled you can re-open Handouts after closing even in Chrome... Annoying if you want to use Chrome and have 2 monitors...
David
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: The Problem seems to be related to Chrome and some Changes Google made in the past. The Problem only occurs in Chrome and only, if you open them in a new Browser Window. If you have Window Popouts disabled you can re-open Handouts after closing even in Chrome... Annoying if you want to use Chrome and have 2 monitors... Even with "Use window popouts for characters" unchecked popped out Handouts will NOT reopen .
Adding voice.&nbsp; &nbsp;New to DMing and found this bug extremely annoying.&nbsp; Having a hard enough time trying to suspend disbelief in working with my&nbsp; crew.&nbsp; &nbsp;Only to find out that every time I get ready to host a session and open these vital documents ahead of time it bites me on the tail.&nbsp;&nbsp; Please fix this.&nbsp; If errors like this keep ruining the moments of fun for me and my crew I will have no choice but to change venues.