Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Are Large Timezones differences (>3) between players too be avoided?

Dan W.
Sheet Author
Hello, I'm trying to build up a group of players and some of the people interested in playing are more than 5 timezones different from myself, and more than 8 timezones different from the other end of players currently in my game. I feel like they should be 'at choice' to decide whether they want to deal with the odd hours that might inflict on them to play in our campaign, but maybe I (and they) are not being realistic about their ability to participate in the longer term. How do other's feel about this and what experience have people had with players from very disparate timezones (for this discussion, let's say MORE than 3 hours difference) ? I'm trying to decide if I should allow some of the people interested in joining my game that are from far away or should I keep looking for awhile longer?
Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 is very good about converting the Next Game Time to the timezone of the viewer, so each participant can see it for their own time zone. There is no problem with playing with people in any & all time zones, as long as the person says they are available for the hours of gaming that you state in advance. Some people work at night and play in the day, some people work or school in the day and play at night. Does not matter if you mix & match.
The exact times are much more important than the time zone. Everyone's schedule is different; widely separated time zones just means that you might end up with a group that mixes early birds and night owls. For example, my Saturday game includes someone who is ten hours off of me (and most of the group is three hours off of me); so far the only times people have missed sessions have been due to vacations or other things which would've conflicted regardless of time zone.
In my group I got three people from the US (6+ hour difference to me), and only one from the UK, which is 1 hour difference to me. It works out fine and has for the last 1.5 years. I played in a game where most people were from the west coast of the US, so 9 hours difference. Worked fine too. Much more important than timezones is if you and the others get along and that can work across the globe.
I ran a one shot in May I had a player all the way in Australia. She chose to get up at 4 AM and, once she had a cup of tea, was by far the most vibrant player. I work 11 PM to 11 AM Mon-Thur, so I am comfortable all over the time zones, other people are not. Like everything else it is subjective.
it really is up to the time the game is run. I have had a mix of people from US, UK, and Australia.

Edited 1405837019
Pierre S.
Pro
Translator
I play a game of TRAVELLER on Friday night for me, but it is Saturday afternoon for the guy from New Zealand who runs the game, and almost as late for the Australian player with us. It doesn't matter. People are either free for a 4-hour stretch at the posted time or they are not. But it is shaky every spring and fall equinox when the time changes forward for one and backward for another. Here people have to try and adapt.
I run games at 3 PM for British players that play at 7 PM, and others that start at near midnight. it all depends on the specifics of start time and availability. I post what times I can run, and then people join or don't. Trying to figure best times for people from 3 continents is a real hassle. I've always preferred having people self select in or out.