Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

doors and dynamic lighting

sorry if this has been posted before my question is while using dynamic lighting the pc only get a black outline of a building even if the building has a visible door the pc cant see this due to dynamic lighting blacking out everything beyond the wall and door so what i want to know is how do identify that there is a door there with dynamic lighting on? 
The easiest way I've found for designating doors is to draw them as a separate line the the dynamic lighting layer (when they are closed) that is a deferent color. That way, you can easily see where your doors are on the DL layer and can open them by dragging the line into an unused part of the map. Hope this helps.
i get that bit the thing im struggling with is once you have done that the pc cant see the door because it just blends with the wall so how does the pc identify where the door?
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
That helps the GM, but the players will still just see the blackness. You have a couple options that I can think of. The first and most common is to "pull back" the dynamic lighting lines a little bit from the perimeter of the room or whatever so the players can see what is blocking sight. This works best for outer perimeter walls and such. Depending on your map image, it may be a little tricky for interior walls if they are thin. Another option is to create a "bump" in the DL lines with your door to reveal more/less of the image. The goal is to break up the flat line of the surrounding wall. A third option is to drop in some images that basically say "hey there's a door here" in a graphical manner. Use transparent backgrounds and reduced opacity to make it look less jarring. See example here .
thank you 

Edited 1613261866
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
On maps where doors are unclear, I sometimes drop in an invisible token with a slight aura on it that the players can see.
You could always do this to show actual door locations -  Showing Door Locations  - (from Keith's stupid tricks thread)