Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Blank Character created on startup of game

This may be a bug, rather than an API issue, but it's a bit weird, and I have been messing with API scripts, so I thought I'd run it past you API experts first. I have a few (quite a few!) Roll20 games set up. I've been adding in some API scripts, and writing a couple of my own. One of my games has the tokenmod script, the spawndefaulttoken script, the aura/tint health colors script and the vector, matrix and math scripts, as well as two small scripts of my own. Whenever I open this game, a new character is created in the journal which is completely blank - blank name, blank image, no attributes, no character sheet etc. If I delete this character and re-open the game, the character is re-created. If I leave it there, no additional characters are created. I cannot work out what is creating this character sheet.  No I'm sure you are thinking it is just my two API scripts that I wrote. But I have EXACTLY the same scripts in another game of mine, and that does not show this problem - no blank character is created in that game. Not only that, if I disable ALL of the API scripts I have running, it STILL creates this character every time I open the game. Also, if I make a copy of the game (which doesn't copy API scripts over), the copy also creates this blank character. Can anyone suggest a way I can find out what is creating this character?  As I say, it doesn't look like an API issue, but you clever API experts may have a better idea what happens at startup that could be creating a character. It's only started doing this since I started messing with the API stuff.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
You could disable all of your installed scripts just to double check. That being said, I've heard of a similar thing happening for one or two others with handouts. One guy had dozens of "Mysterious Notes" show up every time he logged on. Could be a related bug. I think they ended up putting in a help desk request to get it cleared up.
David M. said: You could disable all of your installed scripts just to double check. That being said, I've heard of a similar thing happening for one or two others with handouts. One guy had dozens of "Mysterious Notes" show up every time he logged on. Could be a related bug. I think they ended up putting in a help desk request to get it cleared up. Thanks David. I did disable all the scripts and it didn't stop the character from being created. Useful to know I'm not the only one to see the bug, and I count myself lucky that it is only creating a single instance (and it isn't all that problematic)! I'll get in touch with the help desk about it. Cheers!