Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can GM initiate a roll off a players sheet?

Eric
Sheet Author
I have a button on the character sheet that reports the characters status to the GM via whisper chat. It uses the sheet template with a whisper command like this ... <button type='roll' name="roll_status" value="/w gm &{template... If a player clicks the button then the status is shown to GM in his chat using the sheets template.  Right now the GM would have to ask player to "send me a status" and the player would click the button. Is there a way that the GM can initiate the button roll themselves, via a macro or something else, for any player they want to see a status of?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yeah, %{charactername|status} would activate it. or if u want a universal macro, first select the character token of who you want the staus for and then do %{selected|status}
Eric
Sheet Author
Awesome; works perfect. Thanks Andreas!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Instead of %{selected|status} , it might feel more practical to use  %{target|status} , as then you can call the macro first, and then roll20 prompts to select which character/token you want to do the check for.
Eric
Sheet Author
Just tested that; your right. Way more intuitive that way. Thanks.
Gold
Forum Champion
Andreas J. said: Instead of %{selected|status} , it might feel more practical to use  %{target|status} , as then you can call the macro first, and then roll20 prompts to select which character/token you want to do the check for. I need to test & switch some of my macros to that.  Would target work for all players? All tokens? Or only the GM? Or only the GM and Players only on tokens they have Control/Edit permissions of?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Gold said: Would target work for all players? All tokens? Or only the GM? Or only the GM and Players only on tokens they have Control/Edit permissions of? Works for players &amp; GMs, probably only for characters you have permissions for. I'm not sure about the details, but IIRC there are some selected/target based macro interaction that might go too far(as in players being able to query npc stats with a macro without having edit permissions Obviously only works for tokens that are connected to sheets, otherwise you can only call the token's info and it's token actions. This is the best info on the stuff: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#target" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Complete_Guide_to_Macros_%26_Rolls#target</a> If you figure out something about it, please add to the documentation, I've done a good bit of work to make that wiki page the starting point for all macro-related stuff.
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks for that, Andreas. I will look into it, next time I get into the headspace for macro-coding and playtesting. I've heard that bit about players being able to query stats of an NPC (sheet or token) by using Target.&nbsp; In all my years on Roll20, so far I have not ran any games where I had the Players or Player's Tokens being able to TARGET the NPC/monster tokens.&nbsp; I can see how this could be used such as Cleric being able to Add HP to the target of their healing spell.&nbsp; Of course vast majority of games/GM's on this site would ask the Cleric Player to tell the healing out loud (voice or text) and have the Patient PC or the GM to manually increase the HP. And so, the inverse would also be possible, GM's could allow a Target macro that lets Players actually inflict/deduct HP from a Target (monster token). Or, similar, Players can target a Monster Token and find out it's AC. With great power comes great responsibility! What will we do?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Gold said: I will look into it, next time I get into the headspace for macro-coding and playtesting. Yeah I've avoided the macro stuff like the plague as it felt so all&nbsp; over the place and poorly documented. But then I eventually took the same approach as I had with Character Sheet Creation . Started out with to figure out the basics, and update/streamline the documentation as I learned things. Still only have a solid grasp of the basics, and can't compare myself to the macro wizards, but looking up things is now much easier than it was before. Fun fact, I still haven't wrapped my head around how Reusing Rolls works, but at least I've bundled up all info we have on it on a single page, so it's easier to find. Same with the Chat Menus trick. I can see how this could be used such as Cleric being able to Add HP to the target of their healing spell.&nbsp; Of course vast majority of games/GM's on this site would ask the Cleric Player to tell the healing out loud (voice or text) and have the Patient PC or the GM to manually increase the HP. And so, the inverse would also be possible, GM's could allow a Target macro that lets Players actually inflict/deduct HP from a Target (monster token). Yeah, using ChatSetAttr it's possible to have API-based commands that does that. Here is an example for the Stargate Sheet.