Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5E Wondrous items that set attribute values

Items that set attributes to absolute values instead are ADDING to the values.  For example, a Belt of Hill Giant Strength which is supposed to set the Strength to 21, when added to the character sheet of a character with Strength of 10, sets the Strength to 31.  I've tried this with all of the belts - Frost Giant, Fire Giant, etc. and they all fail the same way - the strength gets the sum of the belt's value and the original value instead of set to the absolute value. The problem is not just with Strength.  It happens with other attributes as well. For example, an Amulet of Health which is supposed to set the characters Constitution to 19 doesn't set it at all. It's supposed to have "Constitution 19" in the Mods field (which is technically a separate bug).  Adding the Constitution benefit to the mods field causes a character with Constitution of 10 to get a Constitution 29 instead.  On a character with Constitution 13, the Constitution gets set to 32. So this isn't something that just flakes out when the original value is 10 - it happens regardless of the attribute's original value. I'm also sending this in as a ticket but I thought I would post it here so that other DMs would be aware of the problem.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Saul J. said: I'm also sending this in as a ticket but I thought I would post it here so that other DMs would be aware of the problem. Thanks Sal, that's  thoughtful touch. I know this has been reported before, and I believe it is on the fixit list.