Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Game loads forever into memory time out

Evening,  As of today this evening, I have been unable to do any work on my 3 year-old campaign. I have not installed or updated any browser extension, and I did not run any script that day. The chrome subpage jumps to about 12gb of ram consumption before shutting down and giving me an error. Is anyone else experiencing this ?
Yes, this is the issue i have as well with Chrome. While Firefox works with no issues.
I am also encountering this issue along with two separate DnD parties, only one person out of the eleven separate people has been able to enter.
Same thing here, it's already bad enough they're updated dynamic lighting is not working right, now not even the games are.
I have Firefox and do have issues as well made a post that no one responds to so thought I was the only one having issues
I am also having the same in Chrome
Vampiregoat69 said: I have Firefox and do have issues as well made a post that no one responds to so thought I was the only one having issues I have firefox that works good. For me its just chrome.
This is a mess, nothing from staff and they're deleting posts on reddit about this problem.

Edited 1615351660
I have had a similar issue with chrome. It lets me into the game but maybe ten minutes after it forces a logout, while I'm still in the game. then nothing loads, I can't drop tokens or upload any new images. and I can't even look at character sheets. It also logs me out if I'm scrolling in the forms or the marketplace. It's only with Chrome, but firefox has a separate litany of  unrelated  issues that just make it frustrating to work on! I filed a bug report to customer service, gave them all the info I could, they said they issued a work ticket to IT Techs about it or something (said they didn't have an ETA for it being resolved), but three weeks later and I've heard nothing about it. Nothing in their bug update form or anywhere else about it. (EDIT: took 3 log ins to post this....)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cass said: This is a mess, nothing from staff and they're deleting posts on reddit about this problem. Just for clarity, Roll20 does not exercise any editorial control over the Roll20 Reddit channel. If posts are being deleted there, I assume there are other reasons; bug complaints are perfectly allowable on Reddit to my knowledge. You can bring it up with the reddit moderators.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
For those of you having issues in Chrome, are they new to today (when the Character Sheet update rolled out)? Are they persisting? (I see lots of single posts, but no followups). I know there was an update period, while sheets were being sanitized. CurioCat, it sounds like you are dealing with a different issue. Logging into the forums themselves sounds like something beyond normal bug behavior, and I haven't seen a rash of similar issues. It's not likely related to the issues the others are reporting, which is limited to game loading time. If you haven't heard back from the Help Center in a while, I'll see if I can get some attention on it, but I honestly have very limited powers in that regard.
keithcurtis said: For those of you having issues in Chrome, are they new to today (when the Character Sheet update rolled out)? Are they persisting? (I see lots of single posts, but no followups). I know there was an update period, while sheets were being sanitized. The last moment at which I had access to the games without these memory issues was around 5 PM (Paris time) only way after that did I try to log in again (around 9PM) and then the issues were up and running I thought is had something to do with the update and went to the forums but saw no post. There was also an urgent "banner" at the top of R20.com that said a problem with character sheets was being investigated. I tried loging in when the banner went off but the issue was still there. I confirm that this is a Chrome issue. I have tried with Firefox and although the game does climb up to 2/3 gb of ram consumption while loading it shoots down to 600mb once it's loaded. Any updates? (Sorry writing this on the phone)
keithcurtis said: For those of you having issues in Chrome, are they new to today (when the Character Sheet update rolled out)? Are they persisting? (I see lots of single posts, but no followups). I know there was an update period, while sheets were being sanitized. It began yesterday afternoon (EST time) and it's still happening here as of writting this, it freezes on the loading screen until chrome indicates an error and shuts it down, firefox works, albeit incredibly slow. keithcurtis said: Cass said: This is a mess, nothing from staff and they're deleting posts on reddit about this problem. Just for clarity, Roll20 does not exercise any editorial control over the Roll20 Reddit channel. If posts are being deleted there, I assume there are other reasons; bug complaints are perfectly allowable on Reddit to my knowledge. You can bring it up with the reddit moderators. I imagined it, a very weird practice, they're deleting the posts claiming piracy.

Edited 1615369890
Error code: SBOX_FATAL_MEMORY_EXCEEDED; this is from Chrome as I logged in to my game just now. Firefox is still running good for me. If theres a fix for chrome, let me know or link it.
I've been having the same problem with Firefox and Safari on a Mac. All my players had the same problem on Chrome & Firefox on PCs. Massive memory leak, near infinite load times, if the game does load(roughly one in 25 attempts) character sheets & NPC sheets don't work. We spent 2 hours last night trying to figure out what we were doing wrong. The problem persists this morning.
I'm having the same issue, and I can confirm that something changed around 10:30 PM EST because I was logged into a game which suddenly locked up on me and it took several attempts to re-enter.  Using chrome to log in to my game, everything hangs on the loading screen.   I don't have the same issues using Edge, but I haven't tried firefox or other browsers.  Looking through the litany of posts above, this seems to be something specific to chrome.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I cross-posted a reference to this thread in the Sheet update thread , upon the suspicion that they are related issues (suggested by the timing). Did all of these games use a sheet other than the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? Did they have an abnormally large number of sheets (like 200 or more)?
keithcurtis said: I cross-posted a reference to this thread in the Sheet update thread , upon the suspicion that they are related issues (suggested by the timing). Did all of these games use a sheet other than the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? Did they have an abnormally large number of sheets (like 200 or more)? I have well over that amount of sheets yes, for NPCs, monster and the such, but with a Plus subscription, I'm only using about 10% of the total storage I'm theoretically allowed to use, for me, this issue doesn't even reach the character sheets, the game simply won't open.
Both games I have tried to use are using the D&D 5e character sheet.  The one game that ran (but very slowly) didn't have that many character sheets.   The game I'm unable to open on Chrome now has A LOT of character sheets between PCs, NPCs, and monsters, but I don't know if it goes over 200.  It's a possibility though.  
@keithcurtis I think you are on to something with the character sheet for 5e.  Here's some additional information (I'll cross post so that this gets into other folks hands too). 1.  I finally got my 5E game to open on Chrome.  As it did that I was watching my system performance, and chrome's memory consumption jumped through the roof.  It was spiking as high as 3GB of RAM used and power consumption was VERY HIGH.   2.  Once the game finished loading, and I could interact with maps and tokens, memory consumptions dropped to about 1.5GB.  Still extremely high in my estimate, but much lower than at load time.   3.  When I was in that game, every time I messed with a character sheet processor load, memory and power use all spiked.  Memory in particular went up by more than 50% (measured from the 1.5gb steady state baseline) to like 2.25GB for a short period of time (like 15 seconds) 4.  When I opened another game using the AGE system (so no 5E character sheets) the load time was faster, and memory usage was much lower.  Stable at about 900 mb of memory after the initial load.  
keithcurtis said: I cross-posted a reference to this thread in the Sheet update thread , upon the suspicion that they are related issues (suggested by the timing). Did all of these games use a sheet other than the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? Did they have an abnormally large number of sheets (like 200 or more)? This could very well be the case. My game currently has 717 character sheets (although 90% of them are archived) I do not use the 5E template, nor any custom template, just ordinary text formating and tables.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cass said: keithcurtis said: I cross-posted a reference to this thread in the Sheet update thread , upon the suspicion that they are related issues (suggested by the timing). Did all of these games use a sheet other than the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet? Did they have an abnormally large number of sheets (like 200 or more)? I have well over that amount of sheets yes, for NPCs, monster and the such, but with a Plus subscription, I'm only using about 10% of the total storage I'm theoretically allowed to use, for me, this issue doesn't even reach the character sheets, the game simply won't open. Character sheets (or games themselves for that matter) don't use any of your storage to speak of, only art and audio. The number of character sheets and the amount of info (example: lots of spells) on them in a game determines that amount of data that has to be loaded into memory when you load a game, though. This could be part of the issue. I urge folks reporting in this thread to post to the Character Sheet feedback thread link I posted above. I have a strong feeling the issue is related.
Having the same issues since 3/9/21.  Why no response from Roll20?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Bruce said: Having the same issues since 3/9/21.  Why no response from Roll20? 1. 3/9/21 was yesterday. 2. The team does not usually follow or respond to bug reports on the forum. They are too difficult to track. Specific problems should go to a  Help Center Request , where a ticket will be automatically generated, and assigned. 3. In my experience, Roll20 devs do not often respond in thread anyway. It is entirely likely they are investigating currently. That being said, I have cross posted this thread to the character sheet update thread, in case the issues are related. Hopefully this will be resolved soon, since there are a lot of eyes on the rollout at the moment. I would suggest also posting your issue there, noting the time it began (concurrent with the feature rollout). That thread was started by a team member, and therefor curated.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A number of people reporting sheet loading issues have posted that turning off the VTTES extension resolves the problem. Further reports indicate that the extension has been updated to account for the issue.
keithcurtis said: A number of people reporting sheet loading issues have posted that turning off the VTTES extension resolves the problem. Further reports indicate that the extension has been updated to account for the issue. With Chrome, I have tried disabling VTTES. the memory leak is still present and will not load the game what so ever going into aw snap page just now, again. With Firefox, I have zero issues loading into the game with VTTES just now, again. it still takes my server about 1 to 3 minutes per usual to load up. My server has 300+ maps and or Handouts/Sheets. I read others have issues with Firefox but it seems to be mainly 95% Chrome users. Do we have to put in a ticket? It feels like that would be alot of work for the Dev's to go in one by one to fix this leak. 

Edited 1615404948
Analyzer
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone! We’re currently reviewing this issue and will provide updates on it as soon as we have additional information. Thank you for your patience and reports!
Analyzer said: Hey everyone! We’re currently reviewing this issue and will provide updates on it as soon as we have additional information. Thank you for your patience and reports!  And Thank you ^-^ I would like to add that extensions is a major player for running/hosting your server on Chrome. Extensions will majorly slow down your server. I turned off Google Drive Offline/Pc sharing, Ad Blocks off with VTTES running and everything is working as of now but theres is alot of lagg for 5-7 players making not fun at all. If i turn off VTTES there is less lagg but unusually laggy, still. Compared to Firefox where I don't have many extensions but VTTES is why my Server runs as normal before this whole fiesta. Kinda lame that this lagg/leak is here since the sheet update making things run hella slow because of the added memory of the extensions. Please Obi-won Devnobi, revert the memory stasis to normal, you're our only hope.
keithcurtis said: A number of people reporting sheet loading issues have posted that turning off the VTTES extension resolves the problem. Further reports indicate that the extension has been updated to account for the issue. Yep, first thing I tried, still freezing.
Hey folks, We're still investigating what is causing these issues but we need more specific information to narrow down the root cause. The information we're looking for right now are performance logs and heap snapshots from the games that this issue is occurring in, but the gist of it is to bring up the Browser's Dev Tools:  Firefox Instructions  &  Chrome Instructions . Performance Log: Select the performance tab in the Developer tools, and then start recording the performance before entering your game. After letting some time pass when you encounter the issue, go ahead and stop the recording and then save it from your browser. In Firefox there should be a save button near the recording name on the left side, and in chrome there is a button near the elements/console tabs to save the profile. Memory Heap Snapshot: There are memory tabs in both Dev tools that will allow you to take a snapshot. Firefox saves the snapshot in the same was as the performance log, and chrome will have a save button next to the snapshot under the profiles section that pops up. For chrome, please be sure you select the correct page for the snapshot to be created from. Crash Reporting: If you are unable to save either of those results when entering your game, please instead follow instructions at the following link:  to save a crash report  and then send it to us in a request . For Firefox the instructions are available here:  Firefox Crash reporting . When submitting a request with any of the above information, please include a link to your game so we can include that information in our investigation. If you are using any extensions, please try to disable them and enter your game. If you no longer encounter the issue or the severity lessens, please note that in your report.
Hey I am having similar issues on both google chrome and firefox, but only with my 5e campaigns. I was able to load a pathfinder campaign, but granted that one is just two months old, while the 5e ones have been going on for years.
Hey everyone, We are actively investigating this issue and working towards a solution as soon as possible. To keep things tidy I am going to close this thread and redirect folks over here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884745/unable-to-load-slash-access-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884745/unable-to-load-slash-access-character-sheets</a> We will be posting updates there as we have them.