Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character Sheet Enhancements!

Edited 1615314993
Analyzer
Roll20 Team
As many of you recall, we were testing some enhancements on the dev server . These changes are now fully live for everyone to use! You can find information on our Help Center regarding more specifics of this update Below is the familiar list of changes that were implemented: A new, less restrictive HTML sanitization system, which now allows for: Accessibility enhancements: ARIA and semantic HTML support No pre-pending of “sheet-” to classes Unique identifiers (id=””) in HTML elements Allowing the usage of HTML datalists Allowing the usage of HTML details and summary tags The CSS sanitizer has been removed, which now allows for: Media queries that allow responsive design Sheet authors can now use the print media query to style their character sheet for printing from the popout window Support for CSS Animations Integrated macro bar for character quick attacks, including pop out windows Below are the FAQs from last time that we believe are still relevant: Do I have to change anything on my sheet? Nope! The new system will be the default going forward, but you will still be able to opt-in to the legacy system. All existing sheets, including games with custom sheets, will be automatically opted-in to the legacy system. At some point, we may remove the legacy sanitization, however an announcement will come well in advance to prepare you for legacy retirement. For sheets submitted to our sheet dropdown or used via our sheet sandbox system, the opt-in for legacy sanitization can be toggled through a boolean value (true/false) in the “legacy” field of your sheet.json. For custom sheets, there is a legacy sanitization checkbox you can toggle in your game settings page above the “Custom Sheet” section. Note Regarding Roll Templates Because chat is closely integrated into the VTT, roll templates will continue to use the legacy system, both for CSS and HTML.   What kinds of things should I be looking out for? This is a pretty fundamental change to how character sheets work, as almost all character sheet functionality has been touched to some degree or another. We've been testing this internally for a while, but with 800+ character sheets, we can't check them all ourselves. One of our main concerns is that existing sheets continue to work exactly as they did before, and we would love the community's help in verifying their sheets. Again, we’d like more testing done on existing sheets (using the legacy system). As you test, things to pay attention to on both systems are: Drag and drop functionality and performance Missing and/or incorrect HTML + CSS in your character sheet Sheetworkers functioning as expected Issues with your roll templates We’re also inviting sheet authors to start playing around with the new sanitization system in custom sheets. We’re excited to see what you can do, so let us know in the thread what awesome and cool things you can do with these changes! Please feel free to share your feedback and ask questions!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent! First impressions: This seems to have also solved the "Character sheets not reopening once popped out on Chrome" issue as well, though handouts still have the problem. For anyone having difficulty with the new drag to integrated macro quick bar feature, drag all the way to the bottom of that gray bar. It should then appear at the macro quick bar on the bottom of your screen. Also, repeating rows can now be re-ordered when a sheet is popped out: yay! For anyone who tries, dragging to a popped out sheet still does nothing (and is never likely to, given the web browser architecture) On the downside, there is now a definite lag when opening the D&D 5th Edition by Roll20 Sheet. Once I needed to refresh the game to get rid of the refresh circle. This issue was not apparent on dev.
Hello! I just noticed the changes, though I noticed all of my character sheets -and my players' that possessed tables are now missing. They're still visible while editing the sheet but they disappear as soon as you get out from editor mode, both clicking Save Changes or cancelling. Is it normal? Will it be fixed or should I get used to it?
Ritto said: Hello! I just noticed the changes, though I noticed all of my character sheets -and my players' that possessed tables are now missing. They're still visible while editing the sheet but they disappear as soon as you get out from editor mode, both clicking Save Changes or cancelling. Is it normal? Will it be fixed or should I get used to it? This. Absolutely this- I really do hope this isn't intended, because it makes a lot of sheets look really ugly and so much harder to look through without the lines making clear borders. Everything is still in place, but the table lines themselves don't appear until you look in the editor.
Yeah the tables in my games have been botched as well. While they're still there technically, when not in Edit Mode it makes everything in them look really mushed together, disorganized, and in some cases just unreadable. Hate to sound ungrateful, but this is going to make organization a lot harder on me and my players.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful.
We are still waiting on the automatic conversion of custom sheet sandbox games to the legacy sanitization system to process. We'll let you know as soon as it's complete. Apologies for the trouble!
Hey folks! We have run into some issues with the process which converts our custom sheet sandbox games to our legacy sanitization system. Until we fix this issue, you may notice some visual problems with your custom sheet sandbox games. If you would like to manually fix this issue for your sheet sandbox games, please add the following key/value pair to your sheet.json file. {    legacy: true; }
The Aaron said: Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful.   Here's a Screenshot of a newer sheet. Its not as bad as its still mostly empty and doesn't have any descriptions. But with more filled out sheets, it becomes extremely cluttered. And if you look on the left there, you can see another table is running over into this section. As for what Character Sheet, I'm using. its just the Basic Sheet, no specific sheet selected. So I'm not sure if I can edit its .JSON file or whatever. I admit I never fiddled with anything like that before. 
Smug Alligator said: The Aaron said: Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful.   Here's a Screenshot of a newer sheet. Its not as bad as its still mostly empty and doesn't have any descriptions. But with more filled out sheets, it becomes extremely cluttered. And if you look on the left there, you can see another table is running over into this section. As for what Character Sheet, I'm using. its just the Basic Sheet, no specific sheet selected. So I'm not sure if I can edit its .JSON file or whatever. I admit I never fiddled with anything like that before.  Hey Smug Alligator - Would you mind providing me a link over PM to the game in which you discovered this error, please? 
The Aaron said: Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful. Here's mine. I know it's in spanish though I hope it'll be of use. I've never used any of the specific sheet available so I'm still using a Basic Sheet, I don't know if that has to do with it.
Ritto said: The Aaron said: Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful. Here's mine. I know it's in spanish though I hope it'll be of use. I've never used any of the specific sheet available so I'm still using a Basic Sheet, I don't know if that has to do with it. Hi Ritto -  Can you send me a link to that game over DM perchance? I'll definitely take a look as soon as possible!
Nicholas said: Smug Alligator said: The Aaron said: Can you post screenshots and list what character sheet you're using?  I think that will be helpful.   Here's a Screenshot of a newer sheet. Its not as bad as its still mostly empty and doesn't have any descriptions. But with more filled out sheets, it becomes extremely cluttered. And if you look on the left there, you can see another table is running over into this section. As for what Character Sheet, I'm using. its just the Basic Sheet, no specific sheet selected. So I'm not sure if I can edit its .JSON file or whatever. I admit I never fiddled with anything like that before.  Hey Smug Alligator - Would you mind providing me a link over PM to the game in which you discovered this error, please?  I was going to, but on looking now. It appears the Tables are back in working order. Seems the issue has already been fixed. Thanks for the offer regardless Nicholas!

Edited 1615323365
Atlau
Roll20 Team
Hey everybody! The character sheet issues should be fixed now. If you run into any further problems, please don't hesitate to let us know!
Elizabeth W. said: Hey everybody! The character sheet issues should be fixed now. If you run into any further problems, please don't hesitate to let us know! I've checked just now and everything's running smoothly. Thank you everyone!
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Any word on when we might see documentation for this?

Edited 1615325952
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Andreas J. said: Any word on when we might see documentation for this? Hey Andreas - Documentation for this is now available on the Help Center:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360061735034-iFrame-and-Sanitization-Changes#legacy-system-0-1" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360061735034-iFrame-and-Sanitization-Changes#legacy-system-0-1</a> . Thanks for checking on this!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'd recommend noting in the documentation that .charsheet &nbsp;is still prepended before CSS declarations.
Are there plans to put a default token editor back in, or is vision going to have to be edited every time we drop a token on the board?
Hey folks -&nbsp; Another quick update - the new sanitization system is actually defaulting to the legacy sanitization system behavior right now. We're working on a fix for this and will get it out to you as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience here!
Hi, I'm not tech savy at all so I didn't understand what you meant when you mentioned fixing the character sheets manually? My sheets still aren't working, but I notice some peoples are, is it an issue on my end or something still being looked into?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Brian said: Are there plans to put a default token editor back in, or is vision going to have to be edited every time we drop a token on the board? ??? There is no such thing as a default token editor in Roll20. You edit a token, open the sheet, put it in edit mode and replace whatever existing default token there is. You should not have to reset anything when you drop a default token from the journal. Roll20TnT Linking Tokens and Journals

Edited 1615345019
There was previously a token editor that could be accessed from the character sheet as part of the enhancement suite. Is there a way to access that or has it been removed?
I'm having players' character sheets getting reset to level 1. This is for the base Roll20 Pathfinder character sheets. They open up to the Charactermancer and are reset to level 1. This is wreaking havoc on the game I'm attempting to run tonight, hard to continue a level 8 game where everyone's lost all their progress...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Jay said: There was previously a token editor that could be accessed from the character sheet as part of the enhancement suite . Is there a way to access that or has it been removed? That is a 3rd party addon, and not part of Roll20 at all.&nbsp;

Edited 1615350272
On the Sheet Sandbox, every time I upload CSS or HTML, it changes the active tab from "Character Sheet" to "Bio and Info".&nbsp; Very annoying as it used to just keep the previous view on an upload. Now it is an extra click every time.&nbsp; This is on both Chrome and Firefox.

Edited 1615356156
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Token Action Buttons will no longer open action in edit mode with a shift click I have found a non-catastrophic, but very annoying and serious bug. Previously, when you shift click on a button on the Macro Quick Bar or Token Action Bar, it would take you directly to the macro or ability, already in edit mode. This is an incredible timesaver. It still functions for macros in the Collections tab, but for abilities will only open up the corresponding sheet, on the bio tab, and the Ability is not in edit mode even after manually switching to the proper tab. This has been an essential feature for many years. I hope it will not be too difficult to restore.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Many Token Actions are non functional and cannot be edited That is, they can be clicked on, but they cannot be opened, edited or assigned to the macro bar. This seems to happen if the character sheet is ever re-opened. The Abilities tab functions normally the first time a sheet is opened in a session, but when you open it a second time: Clicking "show in macro bar" does nothing. The checkbox is clicked, but the action does not appear or disappear in the bar. Clicking the edit icon (pencil) is non-functional. This one is a critical failure, as the ability to edit Abilities is essential.

Edited 1615362519
Earlier today, I ran into a problem with a Pathfinder 1st Edition game I run, using the Pathfinder by Roll20 &nbsp;character sheet as-is. When I loaded into a character, it executed the "select spell level" function you normally see when pulling a spell from Compendium that isn't listed for your character's class.&nbsp; However, it did so from within Charactermancer , which (as with any time Charactermancer is launched) caused a complete purge of that character's game info. This also happened to a couple of other characters, both times involving random loads of different parts of Charactermancer. Is there anything that can be done about this? (Edit: It appears that Jeremiah, above, is describing the same issue as I am.)
Hi, I'm a blind gamer and this post states that the new sanitization system will enable better accessibility enhancements at some point. Is there a way to set sheets in my current game to use it? I don't use anything custom. Just the Pathfinder first and second edition sheets as well as Starfinder. I've read something about changing a value in a sheet.json file but I'm not sure what that means.
Nicholas said: Hey folks -&nbsp; Another quick update - the new sanitization system is actually defaulting to the legacy sanitization system behavior right now. We're working on a fix for this and will get it out to you as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience here! Still none of my character sheets are working since your update, will it be fixed soon?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The timing on the multiple reports of timeout issues in this thread suggest a correlation: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884013/game-loads-forever-into-memory-time-out" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884013/game-loads-forever-into-memory-time-out</a>
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I've started with the community wiki documentation for this update here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Enhancement" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Enhancement</a> It's still barebones, but links to this thread, the HelpCenter page, and lists some examples.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Please fix this as soon as you can, this is game breaking! keithcurtis said: Many Token Actions are non functional and cannot be edited That is, they can be clicked on, but they cannot be opened, edited or assigned to the macro bar. This seems to happen if the character sheet is ever re-opened. The Abilities tab functions normally the first time a sheet is opened in a session, but when you open it a second time: Clicking "show in macro bar" does nothing. The checkbox is clicked, but the action does not appear or disappear in the bar. Clicking the edit icon (pencil) is non-functional. This one is a critical failure, as the ability to edit Abilities is essential.
The character sheet update seems to have disabled the option to save a character while art is still uploading (using PF 1e character sheets, but it seems to be related to the main system rather than the PF-specific stuff). Being able to save the sheet and let the upload finish in the background was really helpful when dealing with slow upload times, and it's a shame to lose that feature.
Building on Keith Curtis' post above about login timeout problems being potentially linked to the updated character sheet.&nbsp;&nbsp; I've been having problems since last night accessing my 5E game on Chrome.&nbsp; I do not seem to have the same problems with other browsers.&nbsp; Earlier this morning, the game would not open on Chrome at all, but in the past 30 minutes I've gotten it open, but it took more than 5 minutes of load time.&nbsp; A few more specific data points follow: 1.&nbsp; I finally got my 5E game to open on Chrome.&nbsp; As it did that I was watching my system performance, and chrome's memory consumption jumped through the roof.&nbsp; It was spiking as high as 3GB of RAM used and power consumption was VERY HIGH.&nbsp;&nbsp; 2.&nbsp; Once the game finished loading, and I could interact with maps and tokens, memory consumptions dropped to about 1.5GB.&nbsp; Still extremely high in my estimate, but much lower than at load time.&nbsp;&nbsp; 3.&nbsp; When I was in that game, every time I messed with a character sheet processor load, memory and power use all spiked.&nbsp; Memory in particular went up by more than 50% (measured from the 1.5gb steady state baseline) to like 2.25GB for a short period of time (like 15 seconds) 4.&nbsp; When I opened another game using the AGE system (so no 5E character sheets) the load time was faster, and memory usage was much lower.&nbsp; Stable at about 900 mb of memory after the initial load.&nbsp;
VTTES posted an update a few hours ago that fixed the char sheet loading issue. Not sure if you are using that or not, but it may be worth a shot to update that extension to 1.35.18.
I have not been using that extension - but I'll check it out. Thanks for the tip.&nbsp;
I totally agree! C'mon Roll 20 you are better than this..... Laurent said: Please fix this as soon as you can, this is game breaking! keithcurtis said: Many Token Actions are non functional and cannot be edited That is, they can be clicked on, but they cannot be opened, edited or assigned to the macro bar. This seems to happen if the character sheet is ever re-opened. The Abilities tab functions normally the first time a sheet is opened in a session, but when you open it a second time: Clicking "show in macro bar" does nothing. The checkbox is clicked, but the action does not appear or disappear in the bar. Clicking the edit icon (pencil) is non-functional. This one is a critical failure, as the ability to edit Abilities is essential.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although many people do use that extension, I'd recommend against using it at the moment, if you are dealing with any issues caused by the character sheet update. It only muddies the reporting waters, adding variables the Dev Team has no control over.
As keithcurtis has already mentionned, an issue occured at around the same time that seems to be linked to the rollout of the feature : <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884013/game-loads-forever-into-memory-time-out" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/9884013/game-loads-forever-into-memory-time-out</a>
Even with the extension turned off the absurd amount of Ram being eaten is still occurring for a lot of people and it appears the extension is not the cause of at least a changeable factor in people being unable to go into their games.

Edited 1615401242
Hi there. (Please be kind, english is not my first language.) I have run into a completely different problem here. I am using the "Vampire the Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition" Character Sheets. Character Sheets that are older than 2 Months can be opened as always, Sheets younger than that always open in a new browser window. The Sheet itself opens in the original Window but does'nt contain any information and cant be edited, unless i do it in the aditional window.&nbsp; Our Players use a variety of browsers, like Firefox, Chrome, even Internet Explorer. Language setting is german, though the problem persists, when the language is changed. Hopefully you have an idea or even solution for this. Edit: Firefox is an exemption here. It seems to work perfectly in firefox.

Edited 1615407292
Analyzer
Roll20 Team
Hey folks! Here are some updates on mentioned issues with this release. We are currently aware of the below issues and are working on a fix as soon as we can. Thank you for the reports of these! [ 1 , 2 , 3 ] Many Token Actions are non functional and cannot be edited &nbsp;Hotfixed on 03/10/2021 [ 1 ] Token Action Buttons will no longer open action in edit mode with a shift click The following issues are currently being reviewed and we will post updates as soon as we have further information. We may be following up with your reports directly to gather additional details as needed. [ 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 ] Memory leak reports [ 1 , 2 ] Sheets not loading [ 1 ] Concurrent art uploading during character sheet saves [ 1 , 2 ] Pathfinder reset issues [ 1 ] Sheet sandbox games are changing the way Bio &amp; Info tab pops up when reloading CSS/HTML/Translations [ 1 ] Newer character sheets opening in a new browser window
Joe F. said: VTTES posted an update a few hours ago that fixed the char sheet loading issue. Not sure if you are using that or not, but it may be worth a shot to update that extension to 1.35.18. That extension does not fix this issue.&nbsp; That extension adds elements to the charactersheet - like the ability to modify the token settings from the charactersheet (brilliant feature; should honestly be native) - but, the update of that extension was to restore its prior function to the new iframe charactersheet structure and does not fix the underlying issues within roll20 re: new CSS, types, schemata shift etc. I'm with Keith, if you're having issues with the site WITH NOTHING ELSE LOADED, its a roll20 native issue.&nbsp; Keep the questions and detail about those issues coming in... If however you are having issues and you have some third party extensions &nbsp;(VTTes; 20exporter; Beyond20; or one of those Tampermonkey ones)... &nbsp;- if you're expecting the site to work after another major shift and you haven't turned off those 3rd party site modifiers , you're making noise for the developer group working to get BASIC ROLL20 to a stable position and being distracting. so VTTes, great extension - but it should not be viewed as a fix for Roll20's character sheet issue.&nbsp; It builds out features, not fixes core site code. I do note that the author of VTTes posted that opening several sheets in roll20 / ie spamming sheets now causes a different sort of error from Roll20 natively.

Edited 1615408315
Analyzer
Roll20 Team
We pushed out a hotfix today for the following issues and they should be resolved at this point. Many Token Actions are non functional and cannot be edited Opening multiple character sheets in a row caused them to not load properly Opening a character sheet multiple times caused ability rolls to be duplicated
@Unliked Dean - For this issue , would you mind providing us a link to the game where your problems are occurring, please? You can always send it over DM/PM, if that’s easier for you. @Tobias W. - For the issue you mentioned here , would you mind reiterating that workflow for us? We just want to make sure we're on the same page. Where are you uploading the art when this occurs? Is it on to the general Art Library tab or somewhere else? @Jeremiah N. and Kiri S. - For those Pathfinder issues you described here and here , have you noticed this occurring before this update as well? Or has this only been happening as of recently? @Cari - In regards to this problem , would you mind actually providing us a link to the game directly, either via DM/PM or in this thread, please?
Analyzer said: @Jeremiah N. and Kiri S. - For those Pathfinder issues you described here and here , have you noticed this occurring before this update as well? Or has this only been happening as of recently? This only started happening yesterday, after the update.&nbsp; Before that, I'd only encountered minor issues.
It looks like all character sheets are defaulting to opening in new windows, even when the " Use window popouts for characters" is off. Is there a way to fix this?&nbsp;

Edited 1615409326
No character sheet can be opened all day. we are using "the dark eye 4.1" sheet template and the session is basically on hold now because nobody can access any of their sheets, nor can i access any monster sheets. chrome, firefox, edge, doesnt matter. cleared cache: reopened, no success. popout on/off doesnt change it either. alle we ever see is lightly transparent data in a screen that is loading forever :
Analyzer said: @Unliked Dean - For this issue , would you mind providing us a link to the game where your problems are occurring, please? You can always send it over DM/PM, if that’s easier for you. Sent the link for my main game, though it's happening for all my games&nbsp;