Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting issues as GM

Not sure what is causing my issue but below is a picture for visual reference.  Basically as the DM my vision is being partially affected by dynamic lighting.  It seems to be getting limited partially by what the players are able to view.  I've played with it a little bit and realized that if I drop a light source that the players can see then my vision will improve as well.  What I don't understand is that in areas where the players cannot see, such as area 3 of the below map, I can see fine.  Any help you all can provide with troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
There are some bugs with UDL that cause overlapping areas of regular vision, night vision, and auras to cause some visual artifacts. I think that's some of what is happening in your photo (it's a little hard to tell). But as GM you also get to see more than just what the players see, and you can adjust how 'dark' the areas are that are not visible to players, but is visible to you.  On the layer selection tab of the sidebar, there is a slider for GM Overlay Opacity -- this only affects what you can see as GM, not what players see. I'd suggest you make a 'Dummy Account' to confirm what your players are able to see when they are logged in.  Don't trust 'rejoin as player' or using Ctrl-L to give a true player view.  Using a Dummy Account also allows you to see changes 'live' as you make them as DM.