Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Severe Lag in game.

Edited 1616969687
Hello, I run a lot of games per week and I've noticed a steady decline in the service over the past few weeks. I've seen the posts week after week saying you've seen that there are issues but I'm not really seeing an improvement in the quality of service. The character sheets get to points where it takes 30 seconds or more to open them or they just won't open at all. Its almost every game that we get the red error in the top left and just have to break until the games working again. I've even had to on the rare occasion cancel a session because roll20 just completely stopped working for a long period of time. I get that this is a free website to many, but I do pay you guys and have done so more than a year now and have spent a couple grand in products on here. I would really like to know if you guys are doing something to improve the servers or more of a long term fix because clearly whatever short term fixes you're implementing aren't working.
DM Dallas said: Hello, I run a lot of games per week and I've noticed a steady decline in the service over the past few weeks. I've seen the posts week after week saying you've seen that there are issues but I'm not really seeing an improvement in the quality of service. The character sheets get to points where it takes 30 seconds or more to open them or they just won't open at all. Its almost every game that we get the red error in the top left and just have to break until the games working again. I've even had to on the rare occasion cancel a session because roll20 just completely stopped working for a long period of time. I get that this is a free website to many, but I do pay you guys and have done so more than a year now and have spent a couple grand in products on here. I would really like to know if you guys are doing something to improve the servers or more of a long term fix because clearly whatever short term fixes you're implementing aren't working. I agree with all of this. I love this site and I have put a lot of time and money into it over the last year. I appreciate what you all do to make this work, but the last few weeks with the character sheet issues and the server lag is causing my players to second guess playing online. Can we get an update as to what is being done? The does not seem to be any solutions being discussed.
This is becoming a serious issue. The site is very slow and some of my layers cannot even log into the game. This is the 3rd week of this almost a month of paying for something that is not working.
I've been having a similar issue. It seems the first time after someone interacts with a token or makes a roll after the game loads, the server drops my connection. It lasts anywhere from 30 second sto 5 minutes as the worse of it. I can sometimes force an update/reconnection if I make a roll or interact with my token. It started 2 weeks ago for me. However my issue spans both Chrome and Firefox, as well as my laptop and desktop. It's not an internet issue as my roommate is both a player and a DM in the only three games I'm in (and the issue is persistent across all games). To further prove it's not an internet issue, I've recorded footage of myself moving tokens on his laptop, and both chrome and firefox on both machines freeze at the exact same time. But if I'm moving tokens on either my laptop or desktop, they update normally on his laptop, yet the other system will disconnect. Does this sound like your issue? My computers aren't synced via Microsoft accounts, and nothing changed in the two weeks that should've caused both to act up. I submitted a help ticket and have uploaded a ton of troubleshooting steps I've taken and am waiting for them to get back to me.
Having similar issues. I've been able to run a game, but sounds and music periodically don't load, sheets periodically lag, and it's a lot harder to prep since uploads frequently fail and need the page reloaded. I'm not gonna quit the site or anything, but I'd at least like to know what's been going on the past couple of weeks that's caused so much trouble.
+1, seeing this in my games as well. Lots of issues over the last couple of weeks, massive lag in the UI, loading the VTT, etc. Frequent lag issues even just working on the game when no one else is logged in. Sitting on a fiber connection, and no connectivity issues on my end. Players complaining of having a hard time loading the games.
I just keep waiting for DNDBeyond to finally release their VTT so I can say goodbye to this dumpster fire of a service forever.  Long time Pro account, every official WotC book purchased, and even with all that money tied up into it I'm ready and willing to give this company the final F-U  It honestly seems like you don't give a damn anymore.  
Eve
Roll20 Team
I know how frustrating things have been over the past couple weeks. As of right now a hotfix has been rolled out that should help to mitigate these problems. A more complete update on the situation has also been posted in our  Announcement Forums .