Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updated and now maps are gone.

I updated Area of Effect Template Pack and now all my pages are blank. Any suggestions?
Gold
Forum Champion
That sounds awful. Have heard of it before. I think you might have to use Roll20's new "Help Center" if you would like a higher chance of a Roll20 Team response. Good luck.
MrBS
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I just had the same thing happen to me but mine was an update to the FATE Points & Aspects addon.  All maps gone across all pages.  Also had two blank new pages created as well.
I have the same problem. After the Area of Effect Template Pack updated all maps went blank.
Same issue here
Hey everyone, Thank you for the reports, we will be looking into this asap!
I updated my Rime of the Frostmaiden game according to the new patch which seemed to have the same affect on map pages in the game.  I don't imagine there's an undo button but I thought to contribute to what seems to be a known issue. 
I had the same issue.  Updated a map pack and all maps across the entire game are gone. The thumbnails show the maps and when you click on the map it just goes to a grey screen.  Please help!
For folks who are experiencing issues-- If you have a Pro account, you will want to use the Rollback system to restore your previous content. If you have a Plus or Free account, please send in a request letting us know what happened to Roll20.net/help
I tried the Rollback feature for each day and it says: There was an error when trying to roll back the game: * Couldn't fetch backup file. There is not a backup file for the date given. Canceling rollback.
Hey folks, The problem with the patches causing issues should be resolved at this point, but if you appear to have lost any maps or work please submit a request to the help center with your game links and we'll see what help we can provide.
Ryan H. said: I tried the Rollback feature for each day and it says: There was an error when trying to roll back the game: * Couldn't fetch backup file. There is not a backup file for the date given. Canceling rollback. Same here.
Same here. Updated a deck addon, lost everything. Can't roll back.
Glad (?) it's not just me. Let's see if a rollback fixes it.
Looks like your rollback feature isn't working, Roll20... " There was an error when trying to roll back the game: * Couldn't fetch backup file. There is not a backup file for the date given. Canceling rollback."
Good thing they are increasing the fee.
Rollback is still nonfunctional.
Guess I’m cancelling tomorrow’s paid game. Can’t run a session without maps or tokens. 
I submitted a help request using the link provided last night, but have yet to hear back from them. I still have prep to do for tomorrow's session but I'm afraid to do it in case they roll back my game.
Chris said: I submitted a help request using the link provided last night, but have yet to hear back from them. I still have prep to do for tomorrow's session but I'm afraid to do it in case they roll back my game. That's where I am at. I know I could  rebuild the maps and tokens I need, but last time I did that (had my entire community rebuild their characters), the rollback then restored everything old and deleted everything new.
And if the backups don't exist and they can't fix the problem, I wish they'd tell me sooner rather than later so that I can get to finding a solution...
I agree - having the same problem. Sent a help request yesterday but no answer yet and will have to cancel tonight's game since there isn't any maps or tokens to play with.  Would also take a long time to rebuild and certainly don't want a rollback to just delete that rebuild...hopefully will hear something positive soon.
Multiple Nerdgasms said: Chris said: I submitted a help request using the link provided last night, but have yet to hear back from them. I still have prep to do for tomorrow's session but I'm afraid to do it in case they roll back my game. That's where I am at. I know I could  rebuild the maps and tokens I need, but last time I did that (had my entire community rebuild their characters), the rollback then restored everything old and deleted everything new. I used the "help" feature last night, as well.  Still nothing and no word if anything is goin to be done about it.  I weep for the future if I have to rebuild every map in my campaign...
Same, still no reply from my help ticket...ugh
Ryan H. said: I agree - having the same problem. Sent a help request yesterday but no answer yet and will have to cancel tonight's game since there isn't any maps or tokens to play with.  Would also take a long time to rebuild and certainly don't want a rollback to just delete that rebuild...hopefully will hear something positive soon. Drespar said: For folks who are experiencing issues-- If you have a Pro account, you will want to use the Rollback system to restore your previous content. If you have a Plus or Free account, please send in a request letting us know what happened to Roll20.net/help ticket was sent in 24 hours ago and no response. Tried rolling back and get the posted error. This is for a dnd 54e curse of strahd module. 
Coming up on 36 hours since I lost all of my maps/tokens, and 24 hours since my first ticket was submitted. Not impressed.
Hey everyone,  We are still actively looking into this issue to resolve roll backs. You should be seeing responses to any support tickets coming soon.
Hi everyone, An update on the issues reported here. After some investigation, we will be unable to restore games via the rollback function. A problem with an upstream service provider is preventing rollbacks. We are actively working on the issue with the service provider. Additionally, an error in the patching process removed access to images and maps in affected games. Custom images are still available in your Art Library, but the URLs and links to any custom images and images included in modules/addons have been broken, which prevents them from displaying. If you need to play your game immediately, you will need to create a new game with any modules and/or addons that were being used in the original. From there, making use of the transmogrifier tool in order to bring over any custom/homebrew content that may have been built for that game. Everything in your Art Library should be fine. However, you will need to re-add it to a game for it to display. I know this is a frustrating situation that has caused the loss of hard work and I’m really sorry that this happened. If you have been affected by this issue, please make sure to contact us via Roll20.net/help outlining the situation. If you have already sent in a request, we will be helping you shortly. We will continue to provide updates on this situation as more information becomes available.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Just to be clear; Is it safe to use the Update feature in our games when prompted given the Rollback feature(pro perk) is currently not working? Thanks
Drespar said: Hi everyone, An update on the issues reported here. After some investigation, we will be unable to restore games via the rollback function. A problem with an upstream service provider is preventing rollbacks. We are actively working on the issue with the service provider. Additionally, an error in the patching process removed access to images and maps in affected games. Custom images are still available in your Art Library, but the URLs and links to any custom images and images included in modules/addons have been broken, which prevents them from displaying. If you need to play your game immediately, you will need to create a new game with any modules and/or addons that were being used in the original. From there, making use of the transmogrifier tool in order to bring over any custom/homebrew content that may have been built for that game. Everything in your Art Library should be fine. However, you will need to re-add it to a game for it to display. I know this is a frustrating situation that has caused the loss of hard work and I’m really sorry that this happened. If you have been affected by this issue, please make sure to contact us via Roll20.net/help outlining the situation. If you have already sent in a request, we will be helping you shortly. We will continue to provide updates on this situation as more information becomes available. so in other words, nothing can be done? or am i reading this wrong? 
Hey vÍnce, The update portion of this issue is handled. Any updates/patches that are currently waiting will not cause this issue. That said, as the patch mentions, we would recommend making a copy just in case so you can have that extra assurance. vÍnce said: Just to be clear; Is it safe to use the Update feature in our games when prompted given the Rollback feature(pro perk) is currently not working? Thanks Hi W1Z25, With the current state of the rollback and the issues therein, we cannot rollback to a state before the issue occurred. We are still investigating the issue and will provide more info as soon as I can. For an immediate workaround, the steps mentioned above (create new game, transmog custom content, re-add art library assets) is what we can recommend currently. If you have not already, you can also contact us at Roll20.net/help. W1Z25 said: so in other words, nothing can be done? or am i reading this wrong? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'd second that Roll20.net/help advice. I lost nearly a month's worth of work on a game once due to a very similar glitch—rollbacks were no help. I can't begin to tell how many hours I have lost to crashes in even world-class programs like the Adobe Suite. Crappy stuff happens. But if you contact help, they may be able to give you specific advice, or even give assistance with features you might not otherwise have access to. 
Gold
Forum Champion
vÍnce said: Just to be clear; Is it safe to use the Update feature in our games when prompted given the Rollback feature(pro perk) is currently not working? Thanks There has been a steady stream of Bug reports of losing content in numerous modules/games when running Update (Patches) ever since Frostmaiden 1.4 patch, more than a month ago. Is it safe to run any update or patch from Roll20 before they resolve this repeating problem?  There are dozens of threads in Bug Reports about this, for numerous modules, many of those threads are wholly unanswered for weeks and weeks.
The Roll20.net/help ticket only gives you a $10 credit and no help other than using the transmogrifier tool that you have to be a Pro user to get and won't help restore anything anyway, so for free or plus users you are boned...terrible service.
Drespar said: Hi everyone, An update on the issues reported here. After some investigation, we will be unable to restore games via the rollback function. A problem with an upstream service provider is preventing rollbacks. We are actively working on the issue with the service provider. Additionally, an error in the patching process removed access to images and maps in affected games. Custom images are still available in your Art Library, but the URLs and links to any custom images and images included in modules/addons have been broken, which prevents them from displaying. If you need to play your game immediately, you will need to create a new game with any modules and/or addons that were being used in the original. From there, making use of the transmogrifier tool in order to bring over any custom/homebrew content that may have been built for that game. Everything in your Art Library should be fine. However, you will need to re-add it to a game for it to display. I know this is a frustrating situation that has caused the loss of hard work and I’m really sorry that this happened. If you have been affected by this issue, please make sure to contact us via Roll20.net/help outlining the situation. If you have already sent in a request, we will be helping you shortly. We will continue to provide updates on this situation as more information becomes available. Roll20/Drespar - can you please confirm - are you saying above that there is no chance at all that the Rollback will ever work to restore the lost content OR are you saying that the issue is being worked on still and might be resolved if we can wait a little while to see?  This is important as I want to know if I should wait a while longer to see if resolved or if I need to bite the bullet and start redoing my work. Thanks
Ryan H. said: Drespar said: Hi everyone, An update on the issues reported here. After some investigation, we will be unable to restore games via the rollback function. A problem with an upstream service provider is preventing rollbacks. We are actively working on the issue with the service provider. Additionally, an error in the patching process removed access to images and maps in affected games. Custom images are still available in your Art Library, but the URLs and links to any custom images and images included in modules/addons have been broken, which prevents them from displaying. If you need to play your game immediately, you will need to create a new game with any modules and/or addons that were being used in the original. From there, making use of the transmogrifier tool in order to bring over any custom/homebrew content that may have been built for that game. Everything in your Art Library should be fine. However, you will need to re-add it to a game for it to display. I know this is a frustrating situation that has caused the loss of hard work and I’m really sorry that this happened. If you have been affected by this issue, please make sure to contact us via Roll20.net/help outlining the situation. If you have already sent in a request, we will be helping you shortly. We will continue to provide updates on this situation as more information becomes available. Roll20/Drespar - can you please confirm - are you saying above that there is no chance at all that the Rollback will ever work to restore the lost content OR are you saying that the issue is being worked on still and might be resolved if we can wait a little while to see?  This is important as I want to know if I should wait a while longer to see if resolved or if I need to bite the bullet and start redoing my work. Thanks I bit the bullet.  At least dynamic lighting tracing was not effed up.  That would have been really bad.  It's a pain, for sure, but it' s a first world problem.

Edited 1620399828
Drespar
Roll20 Team
Hi everyone, doing a quick call out for the most important aspect first... If you encountered this issue, you can now Rollback any affected games to May 3rd or prior which should restore the image link connections. Update on the situation here. The development team has located the issue and Rollbacks should now be enabled. We have been checking things closely over the last few hours to make sure things were stable. With this restoration of rollbacks we were able to salvage rollbacks from May 3 and back (up to the 7 day limit for Rollbacks). Rollback save states are already being archived for May 7th and forward. What this means, is that if you encountered this issue, you should be able to restore any lost maps or images by rolling your game back to May 3rd or prior. Pro users already have access to the Rollback feature to restore these games. If you are a Plus or Free user, please contact us via the Help Center  providing a link to the affected game and we can assist ASAP.
Drespar said: Hi everyone, doing a quick call out for the most important aspect first... If you encountered this issue, you can now Rollback any affected games to May 3rd or prior which should restore the image link connections. Update on the situation here. The development team has located the issue and Rollbacks should now be enabled. We have been checking things closely over the last few hours to make sure things were stable. With this restoration of rollbacks we were able to salvage rollbacks from May 3 and back (up to the 7 day limit for Rollbacks). Rollback save states are already being archived for May 7th and forward. What this means, is that if you encountered this issue, you should be able to restore any lost maps or images by rolling your game back to May 3rd or prior. Pro users already have access to the Rollback feature to restore these games. If you are a Plus or Free user, please contact us via the Help Center  providing a link to the affected game and we can assist ASAP. Big thanks for this!  Appreciate the hard work.  One question, though...I'm assuming that these rolled back games are now missing the May 4 update?  If so, any idea when we'll be able to update with minimal risk?
The bug with updates/patching process has been resolved. The patches as of late are frequently also adding support for UDL on many marketplace items, so we would still recommend making a copy in case you want to switch back quickly, but the issues encountered here should not pose any risk. Shane B. said: Big thanks for this!  Appreciate the hard work.  One question, though...I'm assuming that these rolled back games are now missing the May 4 update?  If so, any idea when we'll be able to update with minimal risk?
Sooo - out of great hope comes crushing despair.  I did the rollback to May 3 and it says it worked - BUT all of the maps are still missing.  I tried another rollback to May 2 and the same thing.  I didn't use roll20 on either May 2nd or 3rd so it should be a pre-patch version. So - I'm not sure the Rollback is actually rolling back... 
Drespar said: The bug with updates/patching process has been resolved. The patches as of late are frequently also adding support for UDL on many marketplace items, so we would still recommend making a copy in case you want to switch back quickly, but the issues encountered here should not pose any risk. Shane B. said: Big thanks for this!  Appreciate the hard work.  One question, though...I'm assuming that these rolled back games are now missing the May 4 update?  If so, any idea when we'll be able to update with minimal risk? In order to update to the current patch, we must select "convert dynamic lighting" in the game settings?
Drespar said: The bug with updates/patching process has been resolved. The patches as of late are frequently also adding support for UDL on many marketplace items, so we would still recommend making a copy in case you want to switch back quickly, but the issues encountered here should not pose any risk. Shane B. said: Big thanks for this!  Appreciate the hard work.  One question, though...I'm assuming that these rolled back games are now missing the May 4 update?  If so, any idea when we'll be able to update with minimal risk? Still not working. The suggestion of "just make a new game, transmogrify across the broken maps, and re-add the images" isn't exactly a solution either. 
Tried to do a rollback today and still getting  Couldn't fetch backup file

Edited 1620645064
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Shane B. said: In order to update to the current patch, we must select "convert dynamic lighting" in the game settings? Many marketplace products are starting to be changed to UDL. These changes are active and live once the patch is applied for the product (or it is added to a game after the product was updated). You do not need to run the Convert Tool yourself for those products because the publisher has already made the changes they feel are best for the maps.
Tried to do a rollback today and could not fetch backup file. 
yeah - been having same issue and now the dates available for the rollback are after the bug date...sigh...
Backup files still not working for me.