Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Module for first time 5e GM

First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but it seemed like the best place out of the options. Can anyone suggest a 5e module/adventure path for a first time GM?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not a bad place to ask at all. My personal favorite is The Sunless Citadel, which can be purchased separately from the rest of the Tales of the Yawning Portal, and will take you through levels 1-3 IIRC. Good roll play opportunities, things to fight, a great dungeon to explore. From there you can decide to use one of the larger modules, since most have an initial section which can be condensed or skipped, which handles the lowest levels. There's also the Master's Vault, which is free to play.
I recommend The Lost Mine of Phandelver for a first time GM.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Vanyal said: I recommend The Lost Mine of Phandelver for a first time GM. That's a good one. To avoid spoiling: I would watch a couple of youtube reviews. There is an early encounter that could be unintentionally deadly if not handled delicately.
Unofficial recommendation here! Master's Vault can be a fun one to start with. It's free, it comes with pregens for level one, and it's short (compared to Phandelver or Sunless Citadel). It could be a good warm-up and practice for you! Otherwise, I also love Yawning Portal and +1 that recommendation. 

Edited 1637869295
Caleb
Plus
Tempest  said: First off, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but it seemed like the best place out of the options. Can anyone suggest a 5e module/adventure path for a first time GM? Winter's Dungeon from Necrotic Gnome is a wonderful starting adventure for GMs and players alike. It sends the player characters into an enchanted burial ground in a dark fairy tale forest, leading them into a star-crossed fairy and human lover mystery which will likely result in the PCs crossing over into the frozen fey realm and its eternal winter castle. The dungeons are full of exciting features and unique challenges, the maps are stunning, the writing is terse yet evocative, and the layout is fantastically usable. The module also contains wonderful tips for new GMs starting out—real simple and strong advice on establishing a setting, running effective random encounters, and handling dungeon exploration procedures. Plus, if you like Winter's Daughter, there's a whole excellent line of books set in its Dolmenwood setting from which to continue your party's adventure. I can't think of a level 1-3 module I'd more heartily recommend to someone knew to GMing or playing. If you want to get a gist of the adventure's offerings, I recommend Ben Milton's review on his YouTube channel Questing Beast. He reviews the OSE version, but there are no substantial differences between that and the 5e version except for the stat blocks.

Edited 1638478609
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
This is the adventure we usually start our new DMs off with... It is a one-shot with a little bit of everything (roleplay, puzzles, combat) and is great for introducing new DMs and players to the game. It leaves everyone wanting more, excited to play again.&nbsp; It also ties in with all of our other one-shots and the "Incursion at Rithe Ag Athru" adventure in case anyone wanted to run it as part of an adventure path. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/5365/the-city-that-was" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/5365/the-city-that-was</a>
Hey there! I'm a DM for hire. I can help you by discussing your ideas and creating a single quest, or other game components to get you going. Send me a message for more details.&nbsp;