Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Measure Tool!

Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi DMFrank,  Could you elaborate? They are working for me. 
This new measurement tool is fantastic! Thank you!
Hi Gauss, I logged in this morning and they are now working! Before they either did not work at all (right click and drag or drag+Q) or the measuring tool was on the other side of the screen.
Love the built in cone, square and circle tools, but I'm just not a fan of the measuring box. It covers items like Wolfgang A. and  seodoth has already posted about and enables more spam painting like below and a cleaner or none intrusive design like Rick A. would look better. P.S. the picture to the right is from our GM/DM that does not have the new design enabled but is still getting the new measuring boxes, though it might be the cause of him using a no script browser addon/plugin. P.S.S. When doing a token move by selecting a token and then dragging it the tokens bars cover the total distance a character moves.
I agree that the square obscures the area you are pointing to.  I'm getting phantom measures that stay on the screen until the player goes in and clicks.  The player (or DM) can't see that they have left this measure on the table but others can.  Is there a way to turn this feature off so I can use the old way until some of the bugs are fixed?  I'll definitely be using this once those issues are addressed.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Maybe the "measuring box" can simply appear in single location on the vtt?  ie Pinned to the lower left corner of the main window, or...?
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
This is a great addition. A suggestion though : this kind of measurement is often associated with AoE spells, and depending on the system, AoE spells can be directly a linear measurement ( a 4 m radius), or can be an area where potentielly the user could decide to shape a cone as he wants ( 60 square meter). Having the measurement window not only give the distance to center, but also the area would be very useful.
Best thing that could happen! I now save so much time when trying to determine who is affected by my Dragon's Breath. Great job.
Baker_reorients said: Love the built in cone, square and circle tools, but I'm just not a fan of the measuring box. It covers items like Wolfgang A. and  seodoth has already posted about and enables more spam painting like below and a cleaner or none intrusive design like Rick A. would look better. P.S. the picture to the right is from our GM/DM that does not have the new design enabled but is still getting the new measuring boxes, though it might be the cause of him using a no script browser addon/plugin. P.S.S. When doing a token move by selecting a token and then dragging it the tokens bars cover the total distance a character moves. as baker says having it in a single spot would be better. not each point in the movement of the line.

Edited 1691930960
Silv
Pro
Also i dont know if its just me but my partys are always travling and needing to know days the first is for the end point the second is from the start point 
Venter L. said: I agree that the square obscures the area you are pointing to.  I'm getting phantom measures that stay on the screen until the player goes in and clicks.  The player (or DM) can't see that they have left this measure on the table but others can.  Is there a way to turn this feature off so I can use the old way until some of the bugs are fixed?  I'll definitely be using this once those issues are addressed. I also got phantom or stuck measurements whilst I was playing yesterday.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Silv said: Also i dont know if its just me but my partys are always travling and needing to know days Is the issue that you need to simultaneously display each leg of a longer journey or that you need the measurement tool to output in days of travel instead of miles?

Edited 1691944449
I'm seeing a different phantom measurement from what @Venter L. reported: open the measurement tool, and click-drag a token, right clicking to create one or more waypoints release, then press "x" to display the path (once displayed in this manner, I'm not aware of any way to dismiss the path other than what follows) close the ruler, reopen and make a measurement. this causes the prior path to disappear, except for a dot and measurement box at the first waypoint. that dot and box won't go away for DM or player until that person exits the game and re-enters This also happens when I measure a path without moving the token (x can apparently recall this kind of path if a token is not selected) I actually like "use x to display measured path".  It lets the player plan their move ahead, then dismiss it until their turn. On their turn, then bring it back then move their token (which does not remove the displayed planned path), so the DM can see the exact path they took, in case they moved past something interesting. (edit: fixed a minor error in my original and added a clarification about using x to measure both token moves and planned paths) Update: I don't think this is quite as I described it. Some additional testing behaved differently, and didn't leave persistent waypoints (I did have both player and DM quit and re-enter, perhaps that did something). I need to test some more.
I created a new, empty game to test (5E sheet, defaults taken). After repeated trials, the problem appears to be intermittant. Sometimes I get a phantom waypoint, sometimes I don't.  When I do, it's always caused by use of "x" to redisplay a measurement made with the measurement tool, not from token movement (then again, I didn't test token movement as much as I did measurement, as it wasn't causing any phantoms) Steps: open measurement tool click-drag and right-click to add one or more waypoints, release left mouse to dismiss path close measurement tool, open measurement tool (I never got a phantom if I didn't first close and reopen) click x to redisplay last measurement click anywhere to dismiss displayed path, sometimes a phantom of the first waypoint remains as illustrated above When it does, it appears on both player and DM maps (I do have "broadcast to others" selected), but it's the player's color only on the player's map, on the DM's map it appears white Further measurements will not erase it, each person has to exit and re-enter to remove their phantom Both DM and test user are using a mac (separate macs), firefox, no extensions, and both cleared cache before launching the game to make these tests. Note: while there's a token on the map, since I was also testing token movement, it appears to be irrelevant, and was not selected during the tests that created phantoms.  And I'd exited and cleared cache after the token movement tests, before the tests that showed intermittant behavior.
The measuring box is just awful... It's wayyy too big and blocks everything. I can't measure a dam thing properly. How does one get rid of it?!? o.O
keithcurtis said: Silv said: Also i dont know if its just me but my partys are always travling and needing to know days Is the issue that you need to simultaneously display each leg of a longer journey or that you need the measurement tool to output in days of travel instead of miles? no i need to see where im clicking so i can get the right measurement
Also had the phantom measurement box tonight - had to advise the players to refresh as there didn't seem to be any other way to get rid of it. -Adam
I agree with the posts expressing issues with the box, especially those regarding its size and placement. Whether you're using it for a serious use like Silv was discussing or a sillier use like Baker_reorients brought up , the point remains the same that the box obscures entirely too much information. And that's ignoring the bugs like the phantom measuring box- and obviously while I can't hold bugs against the mechanic in good faith, the bug remains a hamper on our sessions. I like Rick A.'s suggestion , though the best idea in my mind is either setting it off to the side like vÍnce proposed , or allow us the choice of which option we'd prefer in the settings.
My friends and I saw a phantom measurement box today too. I was also messing with the measure tool, and added intermediate measurement points until the client ran out of memory and crashed. My friends said they still saw all my measurement pop-ups until they either refreshed or I made a new measurement after reconnecting. Probably not a major issue, seeing as that seems like a very edge case, but it would be nice if there was a 'clear all' like the drawing tool just in case? Separately, we noticed today that the initiative list now shows the sort button and the count to everyone. We tested it, and we as non-DM players can see if there are things other than us on the initiative order even if they are hidden on the GM layer. This doesn't seem ideal and we didn't notice it before today so I'm not sure if it was part of this update or a previous one.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Courtney! The Turn Tracker issue was a separate update and has been reported.
The boxes are way to big... and too solid - they cover up too much of what's on the map. It might be better to make them transparent and visible/solid only when you hover over them.
I'm having a problem where the box displays no information at all... I did submit a ticket last week, but here's a pic to illustrate.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Brett, have you tried a Incognito (Chrome) or Private (Firefox) window? 
Gauss said: Brett, have you tried a Incognito (Chrome) or Private (Firefox) window?  I tried it just now, unfortunately the problem still exists.
This is a nice addition, but it lead to some bug in visual. Sometime when player are doing shape or moving their token with the Q (yellow arrow) it left a White dot on the map or an arrow on the map. In order to get rid of it we need to either F5 or switch map. Is there a configuration change that is needed to be done in order to avoid that or it is really a bug ?
okay
Cones are a cool feature but they need a check box to make them permanent, if there is one I have not located it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Not exactly permanent, but you can make them persistent til you click somewhere else by holding down the shift key, IIRC.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Joshua O said: Cones are a cool feature but they need a check box to make them permanent, if there is one I have not located it. You can hold shift while drawing the measurement to make them stay until the next time you perform a measurement.  What you could do is measure, then use an art tool to replicate the measurement. Then remove the measurement. 
I still have the problem of no data appearing in the box, it's still just a blank, black square. Funny thing though... last Monday night, when everyone was logged in for our weekly game session, the measuring tool worked for me, I could see the data in the block. I assumed at the time that, whatever the problem was, it had been corrected. However, when I logged back in the next day, when it was just me, the same problem had returned.
Gauss said: You can drop a shape that is persistent by holding the shift key as you draw it. Release the shift key after you draw the measurement. This functionality has been there as part of the measurement tool for...a very long time. :) Thanks Gauss,  I had no idea you could use Shift to make a line (or SHAPE) persist like that.  And then just measuring another shape clears it.  Brilliant!, and I feel so embarrassed for having never known that.   I am with several of the others, that it would be nice to be able to turn a measured shape into an object.   And if we do get a feature that is "highlight squares covered by measurement"  I think it would be ideal to be able to adjust the threshold for highlighting.  50% of the square/hex is a good default, but some tables and/or systems might go with 25%, or 33%, etc.  
This is a great increase in efficiency. I mean, there is some sadness because I really love the colorful and animated spell templates, and I will still use them when not in a hurry, but this helps a LOT when you have to move quickly. On the other hand, the pop-up window ... yeah, the concept is good, but it hides the point itself, which isn't good. That's easy to work around on any thing except line ruler, because it only pops up right on the information to which the line ends.
Great tool. Is there a way to keep it on the map until I dismiss it?
Menace said: Great tool. Is there a way to keep it on the map until I dismiss it? Hold down shift while measuring. You can start holding shift before your first click, or somewhere along the way, but you can’t simply press shift when you’ve created the measurement you want. 
Ficou ótimo! Obg pelo seu trabalho.
An excellent improvement!
Great tool, thanks for adding it. Suggested improvement - preset shapes/sized for common AoE effects.  You could even tie these to the game/sheet being played.
i clicked not to opt in can i switch? can i switch and if so how?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Oxxtheundead said: i clicked not to opt in can i switch? can i switch and if so how? Go to the "My Settings" tab in the top right corner of the VTT. There is a switch for the new UI there. 
Yeah my measuring is broken too.   Its like this on all my game. Do you have any possible solution before I make a bug report?
Please at least add the option to remove the large black box when you measure. Even if you fix the bug, it's still a large ugly box covering huge portion of the map when you move a token
Leo said: Yeah my measuring is broken too. Hello Leo -- Sorry about that odd behavior with the Measure tool. We'll have a fix for this bug pretty soon, looking like next week!
While I am grateful for the feature, can you make an option to measure cones by the side? In D&D, a 15 foot cone is measured by the side. The tool's 15 foot cone is much bigger than D&D's 15 foot cone. For D&D it will only hit 6 squares, but a 15 foot cone using this tool hits 15 squares, which is 2.5 more. (And that's if using the rounded cone. The straight cone is even bigger)
@Mira: All 5E says is that "A cone extends in a direction you choose from it's point of origin." I think it's a matter of interpretion if you choose side or apex-base as the length of the conical area of effect, although I and others I know use the latter. That said, being able to measure either height or side seems like a useful thing to do. Other games may have more clear-cut rules and specify the side.