Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opt In to the New Measure Tool!

My one complaint about the new measuring tool is that the boxes and lines and markers sometimes linger for quite awhile...does the maker of the measurement have to click somewhere to make it disappear?
Gauss
Forum Champion
DMFrank said: My one complaint about the new measuring tool is that the boxes and lines and markers sometimes linger for quite awhile...does the maker of the measurement have to click somewhere to make it disappear? That sounds like they have it set to persistent. To clear it all they have to do is draw a new one that is not persistent, or hit the trashcan icon to clear it.  AND, anyone can clear it from their own screen by hitting the trashcan icon. 
Hey folks! We've pushed out another update to the new Measure Tool today based on your feedback. In particular, the measure tool info box that appears at the cursor and waypoints has been made much more compact and transparent so that you can more easily see what's on the map. In addition, if you create a lingering measurement, the tooltip will further collapse into just a number. At that point you can click on the tooltip to expand it and get more info if you'd like.  Let us know what you think!
Much better, thanks!  I'd personally like the last waypoint to appear a bit farther from the the terminal arrowhead, or maybe just behind it, but I can certainly work with this. :)
As one of the people who complained about the old endpoint box, I must say that I like the new, smaller, one, especially the ability to have a Lingering measurement toggle the box between the waypoint circle and the small box. I can still accidentially right-click in the box to set a way point (which fails), but it happens less now. While I really want the "squares" count in addiiton to feet, maybe defaulting to the "feet only" waypoint circle, and toggling the lingering form between the two would be better? Or you could add an "Endpoint Box" setting, with "measure distance" / "measure map squares" / "measure both"?
Solid improvement, gives great amount detail without being obscuring the focal point. Additionally, by showing both distance and squares, it makes it even more system agnostic. I dig it.
Riley D. said: I think part of what's happening with the Dark Mode toggle, the Light Mode stylings for the toolbar are still in progress. When you toggle Dark Mode does the rest of the UI go Dark/Light? Yes they do - the turn order, the sidebar with chat etc., the page toolbar, everything except the new toolbar and the map zoom tool. So I guess that means us, who can't really handle the dark mode, are practically excluded from this trial period.

Edited 1697289633
There's a problem with the new design, regarding compatibility with other features. When using token actions, the token action bar that appears at the top of the screen overlaps the zoom interface, if also used: This leaves the zoom interface only partially usable. The VTT should bring the zoom interface to the top when you click on it. I think that's the best way to fix this problem. The only other viable solution I can think of would be to move the zoom interface to the center of the screen.
I really like these new features, especially the cone tool . Unfortunately, it doesn't work for isometric maps. Maybe it would be possible to use the same behavior as the auras ?  
Finally got to try the new measure tool after Kiethcurtis provided me with a Stylus script to make the new toolbar useable, and nice as it is, do we have to have that great box showing all the time we aren't actually measuring anything.  Now it might be the Stylus script, but having tried changing the settings I don't think so.  Would it be possible to have a way of minimizing it, or a hot key to hide it in between measurements so we can see the map area.
Whilst not as ideal as a hotkey, I would grab it by the top bar and pull it down to the bottom of the screen so it sits alongside the macro bar?  Unless you are about to measure, it will close the instant you select anything else anyway, so this just gets it out of the way whilst you check the map. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yup, Stylus would not affect the appearance/disappearance of the dialog. That's handled by the central code of Roll20, likely some flavor of JavaScript?
Oenanthe said: ...snip   Would it be possible to have a way of minimizing it, or a hot key to hide it in between measurements so we can see the map area. Yeah annoying until you realise you just have to select another tool