Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Compendium Search is Available Now!

Edited 1696462548
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hey everyone, We've got an exciting new addition to the Roll20 VTT to share with you today: we're rolling out our new and improved Compendium search. This is a redesign on the front end as well as a brand new backend service that features: Much faster response times (up to 10x as fast in some complex queries) A brand new filters interface to help you search for exactly what you want to find A new design that's much easier on the eyes and matches the work we're doing to refresh the Roll20 interface If you're opted in to the new UI Redesign, you have the option to turn on the New Compendium in your settings menu. We're excited to share this improvement with you and we'd love your feedback on how we can continue to make the Compendium Search experience in the VTT even better moving forward!

Edited 1696469807
First complaint is that the new Compendium does not seems to search for sections within pages, which the old version did. An example of what I mean. I want to know what the paralyzed condition means. Old Version: Search for "paralyzed", result:     -Rules         Conditions: Paralyzed New Version: Search for "paralyzed", result:          No Matching Results     No results found for paralyzed
Hi.  Is there an option to switch off results from the Systems Reference Document (SRD)? Couldn't find it under campaign settings/compendium selection. This would reduce unnecessary duplicate results. Thanks
There are categories that are empty including the one labeled "Category" and as the first comment pointed out it doesn't allow for specific searches. Just another poopy thing I paid you to break. .
Gauss
Forum Champion
Seb said: Hi.  Is there an option to switch off results from the Systems Reference Document (SRD)? Couldn't find it under campaign settings/compendium selection. This would reduce unnecessary duplicate results. Thanks My take,  Multiple entries from different sources have always been in there, however the SRD was typically replaced by PHB, DMG, or MM.  But, that created a problem, you have some users using the SRD and others using the MM and thus explaining things are different between the two (they are not identical).  I don't know if the Devs will keep it this way or revert to the older way mentioned above, but I would like to see the SRD stay. 

Edited 1696490752
WHY not include an option to display the SRD or hide it? IF you have purchased the books, you do not need the SRD. Thus you can hide it and don't see any duplicates. If you have not purchased the books you have still access to the SRD as this option is enabled by default (Option could be: Show SRD Content ) And regarding the search itself... I guess they need to Re-index the whole compendium to fit the new search options. BUT this can only be done by Roll20 as no one else can edit the compendium! Gauss said: Seb said: Hi.  Is there an option to switch off results from the Systems Reference Document (SRD)? Couldn't find it under campaign settings/compendium selection. This would reduce unnecessary duplicate results. Thanks My take,  Multiple entries from different sources have always been in there, however the SRD was typically replaced by PHB, DMG, or MM.  But, that created a problem, you have some users using the SRD and others using the MM and thus explaining things are different between the two (they are not identical).  I don't know if the Devs will keep it this way or revert to the older way mentioned above, but I would like to see the SRD stay. 
SkipMonkey said: First complaint is that the new Compendium does not seems to search for sections within pages, which the old version did. An example of what I mean. I want to know what the paralyzed condition means. Old Version: Search for "paralyzed", result:     -Rules         Conditions: Paralyzed New Version: Search for "paralyzed", result:          No Matching Results     No results found for paralyzed Thanks for pointing this out. We've identified this issue and agree that it really makes it was less useful. Working on a fix now!
I am seeing a strange issue with the new compendium. In the compendium under the "adventure" section the module "A Night of Masks and Monsters (A Requiem of Wings #1)" appears in its entirety both for me as the GM and the players. This is not the game we are playing so it isn't a big deal, however I went into a game I am a PC in and the entire module of that game is visible to me in the compendium.  Any thoughts?
While I know you pointed this out at the top of this post, and maybe the pop-up with the intro text mentioned it, it's not at all obvious that you have to select "New Compendium" to get the new search.  I tried the old "filter results" for a while, without much luck, before I figured that out. That said, it works much better than the old filter (not a high bar, admittedly).  I could easily find monsters by CR and type, for example. Very useful. While a funnel may be a common ui short-hand for filtering (I know it from Excel), it's likely not at all obvious to a non-computer literate player (of which I have several), "filter results" in small print, as the old compendium had, is much more human-friendly. It would be nice to have the 5E playable races searchable (eg, give me alll of the ones with darkvision, or spellcasting, etc) If I select multiple options, the box only shows a subset of them (eg checking a list of serveral CRs only lists 3 of them, but it does find monsters of the non-visible CR). Your sort order is alphabeitc. Understandable, but for a list of numbers (CR ratings) you get an ordering like: "0, 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 2...".
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ken S. said: While I know you pointed this out at the top of this post, and maybe the pop-up with the intro text mentioned it, it's not at all obvious that you have to select "New Compendium" to get the new search.  I tried the old "filter results" for a while, without much luck, before I figured that out. When you load a game and the popup shows announcing the new feature, there is a huge pink button at the bottom to turn it on. I also missed it. :D
It's not working with the Fallout compendium. I switched it off and now there's a bit of lag but it works.
Chris M. said: I am seeing a strange issue with the new compendium. In the compendium under the "adventure" section the module "A Night of Masks and Monsters (A Requiem of Wings #1)" appears in its entirety both for me as the GM and the players. This is not the game we are playing so it isn't a big deal, however I went into a game I am a PC in and the entire module of that game is visible to me in the compendium.  Any thoughts? I also see A Night of Masks and Monsters when logged into a game with a dummy account, or my own main account (dummy account on a game in which I'm GM, my own account as a player in a different game).  However, I do not see any other content that should not be viewable by my players. Overall, I like this new search, but I think it needs a little work.  Better, more intuitive filtering as mentioned by Ken above, for example.
Chris M. said: I am seeing a strange issue with the new compendium. In the compendium under the "adventure" section the module "A Night of Masks and Monsters (A Requiem of Wings #1)" appears in its entirety both for me as the GM and the players. This is not the game we are playing so it isn't a big deal, however I went into a game I am a PC in and the entire module of that game is visible to me in the compendium.  Any thoughts? I'm also having this issue in all of my games, but for Phandelver and Below: Shattered Obelisk. It would be great if the entire adventure wasn't just in the compendium for the players to read through...

Edited 1696541836
wepv
Pro
Please fix this issue ASAP, for some reason every single encounter and map is a player accessible hand out in the compendium for Phandelver and Below. (edit: it also seems aquisitions inc and eberron's adventures are also fully available for players to access)

Edited 1696561935
If I go to "Monsters" and select filter results, any choice of filter results in no result for me. Ie, I cannot filter monsters of CR 12. None of the filters give me results. EDIT: To be clear. The filter breaking is without the new Compendium UI selected. The existingfilter has broken. If I turn on the new UI, yes, I can filter by CR rating, but if opted in for new UI, and not selected the new compendium, then things break,
Hey folks, Just wanted to update this thread quickly. So we've identified a few key issues with the new Compendium Search that we are in the process of fixing: 1) Some content that should show as owned is not appearing. 2) The fuzzy search for some terms is not working as well as we feel like it should (compared to for example the previous search). 3) Some questions around content showing up for players (this may be related to 1 but we're gathering more info). The team is working hard to get fixes out for both of those issues. I believe we should have 1) fixed today, and the fix for 2) is well underway but it may take an extra day or two. I'll keep you posted! In the meantime you can easily opt in or out of the New Compendium Search using the Player Settings tab in the VTT.  Thanks!
Riley D. said: Hey folks, Just wanted to update this thread quickly. So we've identified a few key issues with the new Compendium Search that we are in the process of fixing: 1) Some content that should show as owned is not appearing. 2) The fuzzy search for some terms is not working as well as we feel like it should (compared to for example the previous search). 3) Some questions around content showing up for players (this may be related to 1 but we're gathering more info). The team is working hard to get fixes out for both of those issues. I believe we should have 1) fixed today, and the fix for 2) is well underway but it may take an extra day or two. I'll keep you posted! In the meantime you can easily opt in or out of the New Compendium Search using the Player Settings tab in the VTT.  Thanks! All books, not some, are not showing for me. At least, the books from D&D I've purchased. Also, any SRD sheet that is added to the local maps are imported without any token art.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Dominick M. said: All books, not some, are not showing for me. At least, the books from D&D I've purchased. Also, any SRD sheet that is added to the local maps are imported without any token art. SRD characters have not ever had token art due to their being free.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Dominick M. said: Also, any SRD sheet that is added to the local maps are imported without any token art. Hi Dominick! Just a point to consider apart from the other concern: SRD content has never had token art.
Hey folks! Just wanted to update this thread. The owned content issue should be resolved at this point, and you should see any content/books that you own showing up correctly in the New Compendium Search. If that's not the case please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks!
kahn265
Pro
API Scripter
The rules lookup for compendium search really isn't working correctly. For example, I enter the phrase "Attack of Opportunity" - for Starfinder. This is pretty basic information and NOTHING comes up outlining it. I'm expecting to see a link that has output with text like THIS -&gt;&nbsp;<a href="https://www.aonsrd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=115" rel="nofollow">https://www.aonsrd.com/Rules.aspx?ID=115</a>
I have to say the new compendium looks and feels a lot nicer. Being able to use the expand to see a monster's sheet and the new filter settings not being a pop up makes it much easier for me when making my games!
I opened a feedback ticket concerning the new compendium look annd feel with Star Trek Adventures. While the "classic" compendium works just fine using the new compendium does not work. I see the topics (like "Acadamy Trainig", "Alien Vessesls" etc but when I click a topic I get a picture of a potion and the text "This was a bad brew!&nbsp; There doesn't seem to be any content in this category." Searching does not work either. Search words like "Klingon", "Phaser" got results in the old version. In the new version I just get "No Matching Results&nbsp; No results found for Phaser" (eg)
I will stay with the old one for now as the new compendium takes up way too much space compared to the old one as the buttons are obviously there to be controlled with TOUCH devices! Maybe this will be optimized in the future, but as of now, I stay with the old one!
Jiboux
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Riley D. said: Hey folks! Just wanted to update this thread. The owned content issue should be resolved at this point, and you should see any content/books that you own showing up correctly in the New Compendium Search. If that's not the case please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks! Hello Riley, I can confirm it is not... I still have several compendium expansions that don't show up. I had opened a ticket for it that can be used... I know this is not a feature request, but could this opportunity be used so that compendium developper can set some attributes to be used for filtering / sorting for each category... like level for spells ?
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I had a fiasco this weekend when I need to look up the "Incapacitated" condition, and my compendium search turned up nothing, while my non-opted-in players all could look it up fine, and I had to drop back to looking for "conditions." I'm the DM by the way.&nbsp;
Jiboux said: Riley D. said: Hey folks! Just wanted to update this thread. The owned content issue should be resolved at this point, and you should see any content/books that you own showing up correctly in the New Compendium Search. If that's not the case please let us know so we can investigate further. Thanks! Hello Riley, I can confirm it is not... I still have several compendium expansions that don't show up. I had opened a ticket for it that can be used... I know this is not a feature request, but could this opportunity be used so that compendium developper can set some attributes to be used for filtering / sorting for each category... like level for spells ? You opened a support ticket? Okay I will see if I can track it down to investigate.
Hey folks! We updated the fuzzy search to be better and it should now work closer to how the Old Compendium fuzzy search did. For example, searches for things like "Prone" and "Incapacitated" should now show results :-)&nbsp; Let us know how it's working for you!
Pat said: I had a fiasco this weekend when I need to look up the "Incapacitated" condition, and my compendium search turned up nothing, while my non-opted-in players all could look it up fine, and I had to drop back to looking for "conditions." I'm the DM by the way.&nbsp; Sorry about that, we were working on a fix for that which released earlier today. Give it a try now!
Still not working well. For example, I used to be able to search "Travel Pace" for 5E and get the daily movement in miles. That search no longer pulls up anything relevant. Amusingly, if I search "5E Travel Pace" on Google, IT pulls up the correct Roll20 Compendium page. But incentivizing me to go offsite instead of using your shiny new tech means your shiny new tech is not working well. An "improvement" that doesn't work as well as what it replaced is not an improvement.

Edited 1697009094
Riley D. said: Hey folks! We updated the fuzzy search to be better and it should now work closer to how the Old Compendium fuzzy search did. For example, searches for things like "Prone" and "Incapacitated" should now show results :-)&nbsp; Let us know how it's working for you! Hi Riley&nbsp; still much less effective than the old as an example looking for the daylight spell old compendium behaviour: type just d or da &nbsp;--&gt;search does not start type day and provides a list of the daylight spell under spell and TWO DMG item on creating encounters under rules type " dayl " up to the full " daylight " word and daylight comes out automatically as you type new compendium behaviour d brings info with some wrong characters as in the attached image da no results day just ONE dmg rule on creating encounters and no daylight dayl up to daylig no results dayligh and daylight show the spell at the end the search is much less efficient than the old one as you need, basically, to type the full word this becomes even more frustrating for non English people.... (where exactly is the i in restrained??? ......in the new you need to type at lest restraine,&nbsp; thus solve beforehand the question, in the old restr was enough!!!! {also please note that in the new restr brings out weird results)). last example sun blade type sun and you find in both compendiums a long list that includes the blade type sun b and in the old compendium you reduce the list to sun blade and sun bolt, while in the new you still get the same long list of just typing day. hope it helps thanks for all the effort you are putting on all of the redesign Andrea
Okay yeah so I think the other thing that's going on is it's not handling partial-word searches as well. We're working on that too right now. Thanks for the feedback!
Right, I'm switching back to the old compendium style until the bugs get worked out. The lack of partial word searches are a deal-breaker because I suck at spelling.
Hey folks!&nbsp; We put out an update this this that I think makes the searching on the New Compendium much better. Now we will do partial matching so for example if you type "sword" you will also find "longsword", "shortsword", etc. Likewise, "day" now returns the Daylight spell.&nbsp; We also tuned the search to be less aggressive about returning slight variations of things, so that should eliminate a lot of the noise that was getting generated for partial searches. Let us know what you think! Thanks!
Starr Saphyre said: Still not working well. For example, I used to be able to search "Travel Pace" for 5E and get the daily movement in miles. That search no longer pulls up anything relevant. Amusingly, if I search "5E Travel Pace" on Google, IT pulls up the correct Roll20 Compendium page. But incentivizing me to go offsite instead of using your shiny new tech means your shiny new tech is not working well. An "improvement" that doesn't work as well as what it replaced is not an improvement. I am seeing "Movement: Travel Pace" as one of the results for that search now so hopefully working better for you, but let me know if not. Thanks!
Hi Riley thanks for the quick update rounds daylight works now but restrained does not...in a sense it worsened as now even restraine does not produce results trying starting with condition brings the condition voice so the global one you need to go up to c ondition: restrained to also find restrained (including the colon) it does not seem linked to being the second word as the draconic disciple comes out even with dis maybe it is the : that define a sub line within a main name? blindsigh . does not work but blindsight brings out the environment: blindsight (works fine even with blind in the old&nbsp;compendium) note that in other cases the structure of names is reversed for example the drow mage is not listed as elves: drow: drow mage but as drow mage: elves drow. then something is still weird heavily obscured search brings out heavily armored!!! (but in the old one gave no results) hope this testing helps Andrea
Hi, On the old compendium search you could call up the list of spells and right click on the spell name to get the link to the compendium link I tried this on the new compendium search and could't figure out a way to get the link although I could have been doing something wrong. Thanks

Edited 1697492720
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Greatly enjoying the new interface. However, there is an area I think could use some improvement. Usually, a compendium search turns up a lot of categories I am not interested in. To isolate, say "Races", I need to deselect the others, which can take 5 or more clicks. If there were a "Deselect All" button, then the process could be reduced to 2 clicks. One to deselct all categories, and a second click to activate the one category I am focussing on. Another nice touch might be to have a closing "X" button next to each category name, so that they could be closed without scrolling back up to the top.&nbsp; Here is a mockup of what I mean:

Edited 1697496820
+1 to keithcurtis' suggestion. On a related note: One thing I noticed this weekend: if you type a search term in,&nbsp; get a multi-category list, and then hit back-arrow and click on a category (try "sword" and them the Items category) it only displays Items entries with sword in the handout.&nbsp; On the other hand, if you click Items and then type "sword" in, it gives a list of entries in all categories with "sword" in the title. I'd think that ought to be consistent and produce the same results either way, although I'm not sure it qualifies as a bug.&nbsp; And, frankly, I think if you are in Items to start and search for sword, it shouldn't be showing non-items results, although I could understand if the design intent were to always treat the search box as a global search.

Edited 1697515481
It could be I don't understand something. I have a lot of empty categories in the compendium;&nbsp; Adventure, Category, Charm, Content, DM Screen, etc... if this isn't&nbsp;operator error, I suggest a way of hiding or removing these empty category items.&nbsp;
Vince R. said: It could be I don't understand something. I have a lot of empty categories in the compendium;&nbsp; Adventure, Category, Charm, Content, DM Screen, etc... if this isn't&nbsp;operator error, I suggest a way of hiding or removing these empty category items.&nbsp; Do you have purchased any Books here on Roll20? Other than that, at least for DnD you only see the SRD content which leaves many categories just empty...
Not sure if this was how it was supposed to be but I was unable to use drag and drop to drag magic items onto character sheets anymore.

Edited 1697626867
Is it possible to SHRINK those buttons? I am using Mouse and Keyboard and this is clearly optimized for TOUCH Control with those huge buttons! ALSO: PLEASE HIDE all empty categories! I have not purchased any Adventures for Cthulhu on here that'd appear in this category and by clicking on it I just get the message that there is nothing here and I should go back... WHY this WASTE OF SPACE?! FUN FACT: In the OLD Compendium there is NO SECTION "Adventure"