Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Compendium Search is Available Now!

Edited 1697626748
One other thing I noticed regarding the Monster Section: I purchased the Malleus Monstrorum  and I know for certain there are way MORE Monsters in it than shown in this list and it does NOT expand! Using the OLD compendium I am able to see everything just fine!
Using the new compendium, when I select the category "Monsters" I get an alphabetized list that stops after 37 entries. After that, the scroll bar on the right side bottoms out I cannot scroll any further with the mouse wheel. If I switch back to the old style everything is normal ( I can scroll the full list ) 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just chiming in to confirm that I can see this behavior, too.
keithcurtis said: Just chiming in to confirm that I can see this behavior, too. Adding to that: Spell List expanded as one would expect. Problem is the Monster List...

Edited 1697661477
Hiding empty categories would be helpful.  As it is, you may have to click on a number of them when searching for something where you don't know how it got classified, and empty categories just add work to that. I, too, use mouse and keyboard, and I rather like the larger buttons, and particularly the larger text. It's much more readable than the old format, at least for my eyes.  But on a smaller screen, they probably would be too large. What constitutes an "adventure" is an interesting question.  I happen to own the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica, and I can see three handouts in Adventures tied to it, which turn out to be the subsection of chapter 4, Creating Adventures titled Krenko's Way, divided into three parts.  This is described as a "short adventure" in the book, and seems to serve as an example of how to use the material in the preceeding sections of the chapter. But the other sections are not classified as Adventures. For example, a part of the Boros Legion subchapter shows up as "Adventures - Boros Legion" under Rules, which seems misclassified to me as it is about adventure hooks, character motivations and similar material for creating an adventure.  That may be how Wizard's felt it should be split up though. I, too, see the problem in Monsters, but I'm seeing something similar with Spells, which stops after 32 entries with the scroll bar bottomed out.  Oddly, the other day I had a similar problem, but after a little which I could scroll spells futher.  It felt like a back-end problem where the server would send me some data, then de-prioritize my request and only get back to it after a few minutes. But it doesn't seem to be doing that now (Firefox, recent or current version, on mac).
The larger Text is OK, but the free space around not... at least not for me ;) Regarding Spells (at least for Cthulhu) the list expands and I can scroll through the whole list without any Problems. Using the Old Compendium I have no problems at all... Ken S. said: I, too, use mouse and keyboard, and I rather like the larger buttons, and particularly the larger text. It's much more readable than the old format, at least for my eyes.  But on a smaller screen, they probably would be too large. I, too, see the problem in Monsters, but I'm seeing something similar with Spells, which stops after 32 entries with the scroll bar bottomed out.  Oddly, the other day I had a similar problem, but after a little which I could scroll spells futher.  It felt like a back-end problem where the server would send me some data, then de-prioritize my request and only get back to it after a few minutes. But it doesn't seem to be doing that now (Firefox, recent or current version, on mac).

Edited 1697702785
I am experiencing some difficulty too; having been through the compendium in its new format, disregarding "bad brews", I find the following do not scroll /load further as would be desired: Feats (for me stops at Poisoner) Items (stops somewhere in B's having looked like it was working)  Monsters (stops at A's) Proficiencies (stops in G's) Rules (stops in C's) Spells (stops in B's) Subclasses (stops in M's) I am aware that results depend on what we own in our libraries, but thought I'd chime in with the detail I see.

Edited 1700492551
Seeing duplicate entries for some sections in the compendium. Clicking on those in the OLD compendium leads to "Page not found", the new one shows its contents. The other things mentioned here are STILL a thing and sadly NO ONE of the Staff seems to care about it! Just filed another Help Center Request on this as it is just not usable! The fact, this isn't a pinned topic anymore underlines this fact!
We put a few new fixes out today to the New Compendium Search: When you search for things with multiple terms (for example, "ancient dragon"), we'll now only show you results that contain both terms (this is the same as how the old compendium search worked). When looking at the category listing for a Compendium, we'll now hide categories which don't contain any content for you. We added an additional button to make it more clear how to close the Filter dialog after you opened it. In addition to this, we've got another change on the way to address how you can quickly filter the types of items you are seeing in the search results, that should be out next week.  Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: In addition to this, we've got another change on the way to address how you can quickly filter the types of items you are seeing in the search results, that should be out next week.  Good changes, but this one I am intrigued about. Thanks!
Hi all Was just checking a game (nice new icons for the RHS menu BTW), Monsters still only shows 10 entries with no scroll, is this something you are looking at?  I haven't checked anything else but would assume based on this that the scrolling has not yet been fixed? Big thanks for all you are doing, I for one really like where things are going
Hey folks! We put that update out I mentioned before today. Now when you view results in the New Compendium Search, the categories of the results are all "un-checked" by default. This means that for example if you search for "dragon" and just want to view Monsters, it's just one click to select the "Monsters" category, as opposed to four or five clicks to de-select all of the other options.  We're hoping this makes it faster and easier for you to get exactly what you want out of your search results. Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Took me a second to get the hang of it, but that's really the best way. I see all results after entering the search term, but a single click isolates the category, with subsequent clicks adding categories. Much less clicking.
Simon G. said: Hi all Was just checking a game (nice new icons for the RHS menu BTW), Monsters still only shows 10 entries with no scroll, is this something you are looking at?  I haven't checked anything else but would assume based on this that the scrolling has not yet been fixed? Big thanks for all you are doing, I for one really like where things are going Is this still happening for you? I think we have a bug ticket tracking this but just want to be sure.
STILL happening for me as well. Cthulhu Monster List. (MM purchased and available!) My Ticket in the Help Center on this is still open... Riley D. said: Simon G. said: Hi all Was just checking a game (nice new icons for the RHS menu BTW), Monsters still only shows 10 entries with no scroll, is this something you are looking at?  I haven't checked anything else but would assume based on this that the scrolling has not yet been fixed? Big thanks for all you are doing, I for one really like where things are going Is this still happening for you? I think we have a bug ticket tracking this but just want to be sure.
Okay. We have a fix for this that we are working on, but unfortunately it's likely going to be a few weeks before it's done (it's scheduled for our next sprint). I'll keep you updated on our progress, though! 
just gonna chime in and say that the problem of it only showing a very limited amount of enterties in a category, or even when you filter it may not show everythign if you have too many.  i hope this get fixed soon as it makes the new compendium impossible for me to use and i relly wanna get started using it 
Before the changes to the compendium browsing and searching in game, you were able to select the source for the monster (Monster Manual, Tome of Beasts, Volo's, etc.), but now that option is present but unusable (unless I'm missing something obvious). Currently when selected that field there are no drop downs to select and manually entering anything does nothing. All I see is "no data" in the field. Without this feature it makes game prep extremely hard if you have purchased a new bestiary and want to stick only to that book. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Shawn! Can you provide a screenshot of the failing filter drop down? If I try to filter by source, the drop down menu seems to be populating with all available sources. Also,can you verify that your game has those sources available (5e compendium, game is sharing those resources in the game settings page)?
Riley D. said: Okay. We have a fix for this that we are working on, but unfortunately it's likely going to be a few weeks before it's done (it's scheduled for our next sprint). I'll keep you updated on our progress, though!  I forgot to come and update this thread, but around a week ago we pushed out the fix to the New Compendium Search that should make it so that even if you have a lot of content, when you are scrolling it should now load it all correctly.
somme issues are still there looking for the monk deft strike i still do not see it while i get some esper geness entries that are not really of a dnd campaign
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Andrea! Have you specifically excluded Esper Genesis in your campaign's compendium settings? It's a 5e game, based on the SRD/OGL. If you own the core manual, hits will appear in your game unless you turn off that sourcebook. If they still appear after turning it off (and maybe deleting cache/cookies), then that would need to be addressed.

Edited 1705978574
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Andrea,  What book is Deft Strike in? I couldn't find it amongst the D&D 5e Monk abilities.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The reason it's not coming up is that it is not a standalone ability, but part of the description of the 6th level feature of the Kensei monk: "One With The Blade" .
Gauss
Forum Champion
keithcurtis said: It's in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The reason it's not coming up is that it is not a standalone ability, but part of the description of the 6th level feature of the Kensei monk: "One With The Blade" . Ahhh, yeah that would not come up on its own. 
keithcurtis said: Hi Andrea! Have you specifically excluded Esper Genesis in your campaign's compendium settings? It's a 5e game, based on the SRD/OGL. If you own the core manual, hits will appear in your game unless you turn off that sourcebook. If they still appear after turning it off (and maybe deleting cache/cookies), then that would need to be addressed. ahah! yes by explicitly excluding it the compendium says one excluded because of your setting.... ok perfect thanks for this
Gauss said: keithcurtis said: It's in Xanathar's Guide to Everything. The reason it's not coming up is that it is not a standalone ability, but part of the description of the 6th level feature of the Kensei monk: "One With The Blade" . Ahhh, yeah that would not come up on its own.  but this is a strange behavior,  if you build the pc via caractermancer it appears as an independent feature but you cannot add it from the compendium because it does not appear? we were rebuilding the sheets and this way you MUST pass through the mancer...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can of course, edit anything you want into the sheet, but if you want to pursue this with an eye towards change, the best avenue is a  Help Center Request . This will put it in front of a team member, instead of community members. I suspect that Charactermancer has some logic built into it in the attempt to be helpful that exceeds a compendium drag.
Any chance the new compendium could be made a little  more compact? I'm viewing it on a 4K monitor and I can only see 17 entries at a time, while the old compendium shows about 40. On top of that, the popup at the bottom that says  "This game has some compendiums blocked. To make changes go to game settings."  takes up space from the list, reducing the number of entries visible at a time even more. The popup can be dismissed, but it always shows up again after reloading. Would also appreciate if search results were sorted alphabetically.
Would appreciate this also! Aleksi said: Any chance the new compendium could be made a little  more compact? I'm viewing it on a 4K monitor and I can only see 17 entries at a time, while the old compendium shows about 40. On top of that, the popup at the bottom that says  "This game has some compendiums blocked. To make changes go to game settings."  takes up space from the list, reducing the number of entries visible at a time even more. The popup can be dismissed, but it always shows up again after reloading. Would also appreciate if search results were sorted alphabetically.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now.
I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I ran into an issue with the new compendium. One of my players was able to create a character based on the compendium books that he has in my game even though I do not have those book unlocked in my game. For example, he has Tasha's, I do not, yet he was able to create a Bladesinger Wizard in my game with no issue. He can pull up information on it from Tasha's, but I can't.
Is said Player in another campaign whose GM has those books and shared them with him? That would explain why he can use them but you or your other players cannot... Justin said: I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I ran into an issue with the new compendium. One of my players was able to create a character based on the compendium books that he has in my game even though I do not have those book unlocked in my game. For example, he has Tasha's, I do not, yet he was able to create a Bladesinger Wizard in my game with no issue. He can pull up information on it from Tasha's, but I can't.

Edited 1706983515
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Justin,  That is by design and is not exclusive to the New Compendium.  It has always been the case that you can use your own books in a campaign even if the GM does not have them.  However, the GM can still restrict that by going into the Compendium settings and blocking the books they do not want to be used.  Go to Roll20.net Click on the name of your game (not launch!) Click Settings Click Game Settings Click Compendium Settings Click on any white book to turn it red if you do not want your players to use it.  Save Compendium  Save Changes Now your players cannot use books you don't want them to use.  Justin said: I'm not sure if this was mentioned or not, but I ran into an issue with the new compendium. One of my players was able to create a character based on the compendium books that he has in my game even though I do not have those book unlocked in my game. For example, he has Tasha's, I do not, yet he was able to create a Bladesinger Wizard in my game with no issue. He can pull up information on it from Tasha's, but I can't.

Edited 1706983966
Ok, thank you for the clarification. Figures it's user error. 
And my pet peeve is that I have to constantly go into the compendium setting for all my active games to turn those white compendium additions to red. It would be huge if the default was to not allow until the GM allows them.

Edited 1707679757
Gauss
Forum Champion
Doug E. said: And my pet peeve is that I have to constantly go into the compendium setting for all my active games to turn those white compendium additions to red. It would be huge if the default was to not allow until the GM allows them. I feel that pain, I have a massive list I have to go through, and I have to go through and update that list at the start of every game session because of my account. Unfortunately, disabling (set to red) every book until it is intentionally enabled (set to green) would cause greater problems.  Many users are unaware of the compendium settings, when they buy a product they go into their game and start using it, never going to the Compendium to enable/disable anything.  If a product is not enabled upon purchase there would be many complaints. 
keithcurtis said: I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now. Can you please share that script? The main reason for me (besides it not working when compendium sharing is enabled if you are not the owner of the books yourself) is that it takes up way too much space compared to the old one...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: keithcurtis said: I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now. Can you please share that script? The main reason for me (besides it not working when compendium sharing is enabled if you are not the owner of the books yourself) is that it takes up way too much space compared to the old one... It is several different styles, each affecting different parts of the interface. This is intentional, because if the team does work on one part (say the Turn Tracker) that breaks my style, the rest of the styles can still be used. With all the changes in the interface over the last year or so, it might be time for a new thread of styles. They recently changed the way dark mode is handled which has broken a few things, but still, I'll see if I can put something together.
It seems to me there should be a setting for "Share only my books", then another for "Allow players to use their books", then finally a custom setting similar to how it is now to allow individual book settings.
Hey Folks, Quick update this morning. We fixed the new compendium panel so that the search results now pull back headers within a compendium page as well. This means that you should be able to get to what you're looking for when it is buried within a compendium page.
keithcurtis said: I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now. Absolutely seconding this. UI padding bloat is a thing in almost all of the new UI elements that have come out. Just killing some of the padding across the board would do a world of difference for actually being able to see things (and I have a big monitor, no idea how anyone on a small screen manages).
THIS! KatValkyrie said: keithcurtis said: I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now. Absolutely seconding this. UI padding bloat is a thing in almost all of the new UI elements that have come out. Just killing some of the padding across the board would do a world of difference for actually being able to see things (and I have a big monitor, no idea how anyone on a small screen manages).
Agree! KatValkyrie said: keithcurtis said: I'm still advocating for a general "compact" option for the entire interface. I make do with Stylus for now. Absolutely seconding this. UI padding bloat is a thing in almost all of the new UI elements that have come out. Just killing some of the padding across the board would do a world of difference for actually being able to see things (and I have a big monitor, no idea how anyone on a small screen manages).
Andrew Searles said: Hey Folks, Quick update this morning. We fixed the new compendium panel so that the search results now pull back headers within a compendium page as well. This means that you should be able to get to what you're looking for when it is buried within a compendium page. This works really well. My 'comprehensive' 1 minute testing suggests massive improvement. Thank you for this.
I haven't seen this posted yet, so idk if it's a common issue. In every game I've made, I cannot get the new compendium to filter subtypes on monsters. It returns with nothing found. In the example provided, no other filters are selected.  

Edited 1709664877
Tom
Plus
I am also getting the "This was a bad brew" message with my games when searching for most things in the compendium. My example, I searched for Dragon - which should return a lot, but only got this.

Edited 1709739769
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Okay thanks for the heads up, we'll investigate and let you know!