Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Announcing Roll20 Characters!

Edited 1700160787
JC
Pro
OMG.   How does one turn this new interface off?   You removed critical information making it impossible to use.  I have several copies of characters for very good reason,and I want to be able to see when I imported them into the Vault and from which game.  How does one now distinguish and manage characters properly under this new interface?? It used to be a functional Character Vault, but now it's effectively useless - see screen snapshot below
JC said: OMG.   How does one turn this new interface off?   You removed critical information making it impossible to use.  I have several copies of characters for very good reason,and I want to be able to see when I imported them into the Vault and from which game.  How does one now distinguish and manage characters properly under this new interface?? It used to be a functional Character Vault, but now it's effectively useless - see screen snapshot below Hey JC, Thanks for that feedback. We're working on that now. We're going to add back the date it was added so that you can see a better picture of which character you recently added. As far as the game it came from, we're making some changes that will help make this a little more clear but they're going to take a little while longer. Sorry about that. I know it's super frustrating to have to click into each one of those to see which is which. I'll update this thread when we have the added date back on those Character Cards. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
JC said: OMG.&nbsp;&nbsp; How does one turn this new interface off?&nbsp;&nbsp; You removed critical information making it impossible to use.&nbsp; Hi JC, you can still get to the old system via this link:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters</a>
I don't know what happened, but I can't get into my character sheet to make updates to it. I can see it for about 3 seconds when I try to load it, but then it goes to a blank screen. I need to be able to get to view this sheet to game with the group I am in. How am I able to view my character sheet to make updates? I honestly don't know what I did to have it all of a sudden disappear. Thanks for any help.
On D&amp;D 5e sheets once they get a little filled in with features, spells etc. they start glitching out and randomly generate empty items and empty spells crowding the sheets and making them unusable. At the same time this lags the site heavily.
Also please add a function where one can export characters without them being removed from the "vault". Like it used to exist.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I missed this in the announcement, but the current roadmap was posted on the blog. Re-posting here, since it contains several features that people (including myself) have suggested. Here’s the roadmap of additions we’re targeting: Automatically save changes on your character Adding a character to a game Instead of just moving it (Export Functionality) Live-syncing character changes with the VTT which allows you to play on the character sheet and in the VTT at the same time The ability to claim a character (Import Functionality) See other players’ dice rolls See all characters in a game Start releasing more sheets As with every roadmap we talk about, the most important thing for us to do is listen to your feedback. This roadmap is subject to change based on your feedback.
Please add the information from which game the character was imported (available in the Character Vault!) and the DATE when it has been added... BOTH are MISSING in the current Characters! And PLEASE make the Images in the HUGE Menu smaller! WE are all not blind here...
Hey Folks, I really appreciate the feedback we’ve seen in this thread over the last couple days. I have seen a lot of passion and drive to make sure you can keep using this tool to solve your problems. I’m sorry. I should have done a better job communicating that you can still use the old link to the vault; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/vault/characters</a> . We specifically left that link active just in case people might want to use it during this transition period. At this point in our shift to Roll20 Characters beta, we can still keep up the old functionality along with the new functionality. Because of your feedback, I see how this beta release changed things for you all in unexpected ways and I see how, in some ways, it made it harder to manage your characters and games. I want you to know that we’re working to get some quick fixes out for these issues. Changes We’re Making in Response to Your Feedback&nbsp; First, we’re going to add the old link to the Vault functionality in the beta banner at the top of the page. This change should make it easier for you to access and will make it available to users who are just learning about the update. We should have done this from the start. Sorry about that. Second, there was confusion over unsupported character sheets. I miscommunicated that and I’m sorry. Those characters that use sheets that aren’t yet supported ARE still supported in Roll20 Characters beta. You can still do a lot of things to them but you can not view their character sheet (YET). We’re going to remove that language so you can see the avatar again and we’re going to make sure the text in the red pop-up communicates it properly. We’re also hoping to give you a way to vote on which character sheets you’d like us to release next. Third, the imported date was removed with this change. This was clearly a mistake and we’ll be adding it back as soon as we can. We removed it because there was some confusion between the words “Added” and “Created”. As we release the ability to create a character outside the VTT, some characters are likely to never have an “Added” date and instead, they were just created. Either way, we’re going to add that back because the confusion around identifying the right character you’ve added is much more frustrating. Sorry about that and I’ll let you all know when that has been updated. Lastly, removing a character from your “My Characters” list when it is moved to a game is a big change. It’s also not the ideal way we’re hoping that works in the future. We’re currently working on our ideal solution which I call “Add to game”. This will keep the character in your “My Characters” list and will just connect it to the game so that you can see it in the game as well. This means that the character data that you see in the VTT is the same as what you see out of the VTT. Someone making a change in one place will be reflected in the other. I know this isn’t exactly how it worked before in the Vault, but we’re hoping this change will be a big benefit in the long run. It means you could have your character sheet open while also looking at the VTT. Or even better, you could be using your character on a tablet while looking at the VTT on my computer. It also means that you can make changes to your character for this weekend during your lunch break and you don’t have to go into the VTT to do it. Demo of What’s to Come The vision for Roll20 Characters, when it’s out of beta, is to allow you more flexibility with your characters in and out of the VTT. And we hope to accomplish that without losing the reason you started using the Vault in the first place. I’m sure you have thoughts and opinions about how to make sure we do it right. I’ll, of course, be reading along in this thread, BUT I would also love to show you how it’ll work and get your feedback on what we’re planning. If you’re interested, you can schedule some time with me to walk through it and ask questions. <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters</a> The Old Vault functionality With the changes we plan to make to allow you to see your characters in and out of the VTT, there will soon come a point where we can’t support the old Vault functionality anymore and I’d like to share why that is. NOTE: We won’t take away the old vault functionality until we know you are happier with the new thing. In the past, we stored character data in Firebase and we organized that data around each game. For years, this worked fine for us because characters were only ever in the game and it was easy to access them for the VTT. But then we started getting requests to move characters from one game to another and to keep those characters outside of a game. That’s why we created the Vault in the first place. To accomplish this, we copied data from the game in Firebase, and put it in a new Postgres database. We did this so we could store characters more economically. For users, this meant that moving a character from one game to another would create 3 copies of the character: one in the original game, one in the vault outside of the game, and one in the new game. Each of these copies were completely separate and updating one would not update all the rest. For some, this was perfect. It would save a snapshot of that character at that time, but for a lot of other people, it now meant that they would leave a trail of copies of characters wherever they go, and keeping those in sync just wasn’t possible. Today, to make sure that you can view and manage your characters in and out of the VTT, we need to make sure that a character is always a character and that they are stored consistently across all the different databases. Essentially, we’re going to keep all character data in Firebase. This will mean that it doesn’t matter if a character is in a game or not, you can still view and update it. Adding a character to the game only creates a link from the character to the game instead of creating copies of the character in different places. Because of how the databases will need to change, we can’t keep the old Vault functionality around, but what we can do is give you similar functionality as you had before. We are currently working on, what I call, “Add to Game”. We hope this will solve your problems so you don’t need the old vault functionality.&nbsp; We hope to be completed with this work around mid-December which means I want to make sure our plans will, in fact, meet your needs before then. We won’t move forward with removing the old Vault functionality until we’re sure of it. We Want Your Feedback Between now and mid-December, I really want to hear from you all about what you think. I’d love to show you what we’re planning, and I’d love to hear your thoughts about it. If you’re interested in seeing designs and perhaps a demo, please schedule a time for us to meet . Thank you all again for your passion and feedback.
Gold
Forum Champion
I appreciate and notice the Responsiveness from Roll20 Team on the Community Forums lately. Keep up the good communication. Thank you for that.&nbsp; My question, Andrew, in regards the "Lastly" paragraph that is quoted below,&nbsp; So in the future that you describe, HOW do we keep a "1st Level" copy of my Character, while also playing the "3rd Level" evolution of that character?&nbsp; You seem to be saying that changes to Character in a Game, WILL change the stats of the Character in your NewVault "Roll20 Characters". Ok, but then what is the feature to maintain a Copy of your Character from an earlier state which is NOT subjected to modifications from gameplay?&nbsp; Andrew Searles said: Lastly, removing a character from your “My Characters” list when it is moved to a game is a big change. It’s also not the ideal way we’re hoping that works in the future. We’re currently working on our ideal solution which I call “Add to game”. This will keep the character in your “My Characters” list and will just connect it to the game so that you can see it in the game as well. This means that the character data that you see in the VTT is the same as what you see out of the VTT. Someone making a change in one place will be reflected in the other. I know this isn’t exactly how it worked before in the Vault, but we’re hoping this change will be a big benefit in the long run. It means you could have your character sheet open while also looking at the VTT. Or even better, you could be using your character on a tablet while looking at the VTT on my computer. It also means that you can make changes to your character for this weekend during your lunch break and you don’t have to go into the VTT to do it.

Edited 1700246486
Andrew, THANK YOU for the Update on this. Could you PLEASE ADD THE GAME the character was imported from to the new Characters Feature? The old Vault had this and it was VERY useful to see from which of your games the character was added! If it was created in the vault or with this feature directly, this could either be empty OR for example: Created with Characters (Or something like it!) And PLEASE shrink the menus: It takes up WAY TOO MUCH Screen Space! AND there are now 4 different Layouts for the Roll20 Site... WHY not just one for the Site?
I've never really used the Character Vault too much (with a Pro sub I can just transmogrify between games) but I certainly understand how it's an important tool for a lot of people. But thank you for the explanation of some of the behind-the-scenes reasoning for why these changes are happening the way that they are! Andrew Searles said: The Old Vault functionality With the changes we plan to make to allow you to see your characters in and out of the VTT, there will soon come a point where we can’t support the old Vault functionality anymore and I’d like to share why that is. NOTE: We won’t take away the old vault functionality until we know you are happier with the new thing. In the past, we stored character data in Firebase and we organized that data around each game. For years, this worked fine for us because characters were only ever in the game and it was easy to access them for the VTT. But then we started getting requests to move characters from one game to another and to keep those characters outside of a game. That’s why we created the Vault in the first place. To accomplish this, we copied data from the game in Firebase, and put it in a new Postgres database. We did this so we could store characters more economically. For users, this meant that moving a character from one game to another would create 3 copies of the character: one in the original game, one in the vault outside of the game, and one in the new game. E ach of these copies were completely separate and updating one would not update all the rest. For some, this was perfect. It would save a snapshot of that character at that time, but for a lot of other people, it now meant that they would leave a trail of copies of characters wherever they go, and keeping those in sync just wasn’t possible. Today, to make sure that you can view and manage your characters in and out of the VTT, we need to make sure that a character is always a character and that they are stored consistently across all the different databases. Essentially, we’re going to keep all character data in Firebase. This will mean that it doesn’t matter if a character is in a game or not, you can still view and update it. Adding a character to the game only creates a link from the character to the game instead of creating copies of the character in different places. Because of how the databases will need to change, we can’t keep the old Vault functionality around, but what we can do is give you similar functionality as you had before. We are currently working on, what I call, “Add to Game”. We hope this will solve your problems so you don’t need the old vault functionality.&nbsp; It seems like there's a simple solution to give users both options: a character in the Vault should have the option to be linked or unlinked to a game (or maybe even multiple games?).&nbsp; (I know the 'Vault' name is likely going away, so I'm just using it for clarity below.) If you create a character in a game, and then you want to put that character into the Vault, you should have two options: 1) the option to export a 'linked' character that has the same Character ID in the Vault, and any changes made in the game will also automatically update in the Vault; 2) the option to export an 'unlinked' copy &nbsp;of the character into the Vault which is then saved as a snapshot.&nbsp; Then there should be a reciprocal option from the Vault: if you have a character stored there and want to use that character in a game, you have two options: 1) a linked character or 2) unlinked copy.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think &nbsp;that's what you're saying is the plan when you say "what we can do is give you similar functionality as you had before", but it's not 100% clear if that's what you mean.&nbsp; If that is what you mean, then it sounds like from a player-facing perspective all of the current functionality will remain (unlinked copy characters that can be used as backups) while also including new functionality to have linked characters that automatically update in both locations. Great!&nbsp; If that's not what you mean, then a little more explication would be appreciated. :) I would also make sure that when an option is selected to copy a character between the Vault and a game that there is a popup or some notification that makes it explicitly clear that while it is linked any changes in either location will be shared, or if the character is unlinked that changes will not be shared.
Gold said: So in the future that you describe, HOW do we keep a "1st Level" copy of my Character, while also playing the "3rd Level" evolution of that character?&nbsp; You seem to be saying that changes to Character in a Game, WILL change the stats of the Character in your NewVault "Roll20 Characters". Ok, but then what is the feature to maintain a Copy of your Character from an earlier state which is NOT subjected to modifications from gameplay?&nbsp; That's a great question! Thank you, Gold. We're hoping that your new "My Characters" page is where you can go to see all of your characters (the ones you want there). This page can have characters that are "IN" a game and characters that are not. We're hoping that people don't just see this as a place to put characters they aren't playing with, but rather a place where they can find characters they want to play with in person or just outside of the VTT. Ultimately, you should be able to see your characters without going into a game (regardless if a character is linked to a game or not). When we finish the "Add to Game" work, you'll be able to keep a copy of the character, or you can connect it to a game. Characters that are connected to the game aren't really "IN THE GAME" they're connected to it meaning that it's literally the same character data that is viewable in and out of the vault. So, to answer your question directly, right now, you can copy a character. That will allow you to have a copy of your "1st level" character which you can keep forever and if you never connect it to a game it will just stay there untouched. With the original character, you can add it to the game and play with it as long as you want. If you wanted too, you could even copy that character each time you level up and then you'll have a backup of that character at every level. The copying is available today, but with "Add to Game" the rest of everything will be available. I hope that answers your question. Now that I've answered your question, let me know what you think! If you'd willing, I'd love to show you in person what we're doing too. Thanks again!
Will the name of the Game also appear in the new Characters feature? Or just the Added / Created Date? (above a screenshot from the "old" Character Vault that has exactly those infos!)
Jarren said: It seems like there's a simple solution to give users both options: a character in the Vault should have the option to be linked or unlinked to a game (or maybe even multiple games?).&nbsp; (I know the 'Vault' name is likely going away, so I'm just using it for clarity below.) If you create a character in a game, and then you want to put that character into the Vault, you should have two options: 1) the option to export a 'linked' character that has the same Character ID in the Vault, and any changes made in the game will also automatically update in the Vault; 2) the option to export an 'unlinked' copy &nbsp;of the character into the Vault which is then saved as a snapshot.&nbsp; Then there should be a reciprocal option from the Vault: if you have a character stored there and want to use that character in a game, you have two options: 1) a linked character or 2) unlinked copy.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think &nbsp;that's what you're saying is the plan when you say "what we can do is give you similar functionality as you had before", but it's not 100% clear if that's what you mean.&nbsp; If that is what you mean, then it sounds like from a player-facing perspective all of the current functionality will remain (unlinked copy characters that can be used as backups) while also including new functionality to have linked characters that automatically update in both locations. Great!&nbsp; If that's not what you mean, then a little more explication would be appreciated. :) I would also make sure that when an option is selected to copy a character between the Vault and a game that there is a popup or some notification that makes it explicitly clear that while it is linked any changes in either location will be shared, or if the character is unlinked that changes will not be shared. Hey Jerren, That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not 100% sure if those will be the exact buttons, but users will have the ability to make that happen exactly how you described. Part of the problem that we're trying to solve is making all of this intuitive for new users as well. We have millions of people using Roll20 and the old Vault wasn't really hitting the mark for all our users. We're hoping that this newest evolution will be more usable and more intuitive for them. We also want to balance that with everyone that has been using it for so long. Ideally, users that liked the Vault, will be able to use it in a very similar way as they use to. Clearly, we have some work to do here (and we're working on it right now). So, yeah, that's what we're hoping to do, but I'd love to show you more and get your feedback on it. Thanks again for all these questions. Loving it!
TheMarkus1204 said: Will the name of the Game also appear in the new Characters feature? Or just the Added / Created Date? (above a screenshot from the "old" Character Vault that has exactly those infos!) Hey TheMarkus, We'll get the whole thing in there so you have it all. Do you need the game name as well or will the import date be enough? Also, I'd love to show you were we're doing as well. If you're willing, let's chat face-to-face! Thanks again for your passion.

Edited 1700257490
As I have multiple campaigns with the same system, the Name of the Game it was imported from is needed! The old Vault has it, so I don't see the reason why it should not be possible with the new one since you need to select the game first and then the character in order to import it... And I do LIKE the two columns now to display characters. What I really DISLIKE though is the huge menu and buttons of the new Characters in the header as it takes away way too much space... (See screens in previous posts) Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: Will the name of the Game also appear in the new Characters feature? Or just the Added / Created Date? (above a screenshot from the "old" Character Vault that has exactly those infos!) Hey TheMarkus, We'll get the whole thing in there so you have it all. Do you need the game name as well or will the import date be enough? Also, I'd love to show you were we're doing as well. If you're willing, let's chat face-to-face! Thanks again for your passion.
TheMarkus1204 said: As I have multiple campaigns with the same system, the Name of the Game it was imported from is needed! The old Vault has it, so I don't see the reason why it should not be possible with the new one since you need to select the game first and then the character in order to import it... And I do LIKE the two columns now to display characters. What I really DISLIKE though is the huge menu and buttons of the new Characters in the header as it takes away way too much space... (See screens in previous posts) Hey TheMarkus, You're absolutely right. It's not an issue. We'll get that added back in there. Thanks for the feedback! Also, I'm glad you like the design better. That's good! And I hear you on making better use of the space. We've heard that feedback a couple times in other channels as well. Thank you again for your feedback!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew Searles said: Second, there was confusion over unsupported character sheets. I miscommunicated that and I’m sorry. Those characters that use sheets that aren’t yet supported ARE still supported in Roll20 Characters beta. You can still do a lot of things to them but you can not view their character sheet (YET). We’re going to remove that language so you can see the avatar again and we’re going to make sure the text in the red pop-up communicates it properly. We’re also hoping to give you a way to vote on which character sheets you’d like us to release next. Hi Andrew, thank you for the updates, both the roll20 system changes as well as these forum discussions. Regarding "unsupported" sheets; it seems that being able to create/edit a sheet outside of the vtt is one of the primary reasons for changing the Character Vault...&nbsp; Will this functionality only be available for official roll20 sheets or will it be possible for the community sheets as well?&nbsp; Thanks
"When we finish the "Add to Game" work, you'll be able to keep a copy of the character, or you can connect it to a game. " That's the sentence I was looking for.&nbsp; I understand and appreciate the value of linked characters, but backups are an important use also. That you for the detailed and comprehensive response, Andrew.

Edited 1700287943
Yeah all my saved sheets from the past many years sudden say "currently unsupported in roll20 characters" Feels like a step back to me if we're not able to keep saved what we had before. Seemed like we were able to grab from any of our games before. Going forward will it really only be from what roll20 selects? or will we be able to do custom sheets? I understand Being able to build a character outside a game being limited. But being able to save and move around from before should gen be untouched by how it functioned. (also please allow the ability to move folders in transmogrifier lol)
Mr. NumNums said: Yeah all my saved sheets from the past many years sudden say "currently unsupported in roll20 characters"&nbsp; People use roll20 in so many ways. I save backups of characters in a game as i have - up till now - considered the character vault to be a transitional storage only.
vÍnce said: Regarding "unsupported" sheets; it seems that being able to create/edit a sheet outside of the vtt is one of the primary reasons for changing the Character Vault...&nbsp; Will this functionality only be available for official roll20 sheets or will it be possible for the community sheets as well?&nbsp; Thanks Hey VÍnce, That's a good question. Right now we support 10 Roll20 Sheets and one Official Publisher sheet (Blades in the Dark). We started with our most used sheets first because we wanted to test things out in our Beta. We're hoping this will prove to be stable without too many bugs. Eventually, we plan to release ALL of our 1,200 or more sheets to be used outside of the VTT. Releasing New Sheets It's likely that once we're ready to start releasing more sheets, they won't come all at once. We've already had a number of requests for different sheets in feedback and from publishers. We're planning on releasing the ability to vote on a sheet for us to release soon. We'll probably start with those first. More Info on Bugs You might ask yourself, "If you're just showing us the sheets from the VTT, why would there be bugs?" Or you might ask, "There are a lot of bugs in my character sheet, but they were there in the VTT too. What are you doing about those?" Well, I'm glad you asked! For us to display sheets outside of the VTT, we built a new Character Service that will serve data to both the VTT and Roll20 Characters. This new character service is faster and can do a lot more than our previous service. Right now, the new Character Service just serves data to Roll20 Characters and NOT the VTT, and as with anything new, there could be places where we missed support. Usually, this shows up by "working as expected" in the VTT but not in Roll20 Characters. Over the last few months that we have been slowly releasing sheets, we've been going through each of the sheets that we release and making sure they work the same way as they work in the VTT. There were a LOT of bugs at first, but slowly we've gotten them down. Now that Roll20 Characters is live, we think the Character Service is in a stable spot. That's why we released the Beta. If things are truly stable and users do enjoy this new product, we'll start releasing more for sure! Question to You I love seeing people playing new and different games. It's one of the reasons we're doing this. We want people to try more games.&nbsp; What sheets do you use that aren't currently available to be opened outside of the VTT? Thanks again for the questions and feedback!
Gold
Forum Champion
Andrew, Roll20 Team, Your plan to release "ALL 1,200 sheets" is welcome news to me. That is unexpected, following the Roll20 track-record on New Features not necessarily supporting ALL sheets, but sometimes supporting only 5E, or Sheets By Roll20, or the most-popular sheets. Some examples of this selective-systems support from the past are: The roll20 mobile app only supports a few game systems, not ALL. The roll20 dark-mode rollout required some of the 1,200 sheet authors to go back into their code and make changes, Roll20 Team didn't do that for them (as far as i heard) except on the official Sheets By Roll20.&nbsp; To me that's a nice surprise to hear that Roll20 Characters could eventually support ALL the Community-created sheets. I think that should be a Headline bullet-point about this feature, that would be comforting to include in Post #1 with the announcement of this feature. Since you asked, a list of some of the types of Character Sheets that I use frequently in Roll20, which I did NOT expect to be slated for Roll20 Characters support until you mentioned it, ones with only 1% of the player base, like:&nbsp; Swords &amp; Wizardry&nbsp; Labyrinth Lord Old School Essentials AD&amp;D 1st Edition AD&amp;D 2nd Edition simple sheet AD&amp;D 2nd Edition expanded sheet D&amp;D Basic Expert Companion BECMI Custom Sheets (a feature as can be used by Roll20 subscriber GM's) This feature would be more useful for me to test, and more something to look forward to, with the knowledge that ALL 1,200 are eventually expected. Andrew Searles said: vÍnce said: Regarding "unsupported" sheets;&nbsp; &nbsp;Eventually, we plan to release ALL of our 1,200 or more sheets to be used outside of the VTT. ... What sheets do you use that aren't currently available to be opened outside of the VTT?
you can still save sheets from all of your games as all sheets are "supported" for this. "Currently not supported by "Characters"" only means, that you are not able to see the character sheet itself while outside the VTT as it can just not be displayed... Mr. NumNums said: Yeah all my saved sheets from the past many years sudden say "currently unsupported in roll20 characters" Feels like a step back to me if we're not able to keep saved what we had before. Seemed like we were able to grab from any of our games before. Going forward will it really only be from what roll20 selects? or will we be able to do custom sheets? I understand Being able to build a character outside a game being limited. But being able to save and move around from before should gen be untouched by how it functioned. (also please allow the ability to move folders in transmogrifier lol)
TheMarkus1204 said: you can still save sheets from all of your games as all sheets are "supported" for this. "Currently not supported by "Characters"" only means, that you are not able to see the character sheet itself while outside the VTT as it can just not be displayed... Mr. NumNums said: Yeah all my saved sheets from the past many years sudden say "currently unsupported in roll20 characters" Feels like a step back to me if we're not able to keep saved what we had before. Seemed like we were able to grab from any of our games before. Going forward will it really only be from what roll20 selects? or will we be able to do custom sheets? I understand Being able to build a character outside a game being limited. But being able to save and move around from before should gen be untouched by how it functioned. (also please allow the ability to move folders in transmogrifier lol) It lit deletes it if I try to move it to a game. :/ And we're unable to import character sheets from games that the sheets aren't supported. It's a HUGE step backwards in this aspect. Do they just want to bottleneck homebrew or unsupported sheets? Used to be we could even make custom sheets.
Can you make it so we can access the character token library when we're making characters? Seems like that was forgotten unless I'm missing something and didn't see it. Currently, adding a photo opens up the pictures on my pc drive and no option to use the token library.
Did you give Feedback via Feedback Form on this already? If not, please do so! I have not tested everything in the new Characters feature, just because I simply use it only for Storage and Safekeeping... I know, that you are not able to VIEW the Sheet while in the Characters Feature, BUT you should still be able to import or export ("move") Character from or to a game of your choice. The fact the Character gets removed from the Characters Feature is an oversight, that I hope will be fixed soon! (with reference to Andrews comment from above) Mr. NumNums said: TheMarkus1204 said: you can still save sheets from all of your games as all sheets are "supported" for this. "Currently not supported by "Characters"" only means, that you are not able to see the character sheet itself while outside the VTT as it can just not be displayed... Mr. NumNums said: Yeah all my saved sheets from the past many years sudden say "currently unsupported in roll20 characters" Feels like a step back to me if we're not able to keep saved what we had before. Seemed like we were able to grab from any of our games before. Going forward will it really only be from what roll20 selects? or will we be able to do custom sheets? I understand Being able to build a character outside a game being limited. But being able to save and move around from before should gen be untouched by how it functioned. (also please allow the ability to move folders in transmogrifier lol) It lit deletes it if I try to move it to a game. :/ And we're unable to import character sheets from games that the sheets aren't supported. It's a HUGE step backwards in this aspect. Do they just want to bottleneck homebrew or unsupported sheets? Used to be we could even make custom sheets.
Jariah said: Can you make it so we can access the character token library when we're making characters? Seems like that was forgotten unless I'm missing something and didn't see it. Currently, adding a photo opens up the pictures on my pc drive and no option to use the token library. Hey Jariah, This is excellent feedback. We've heard this a few times actually and I think it makes a lot of sense. We're currently focused on being able to Add characters to games rather than moving them to the game (and removing them from your list). But we'll keep this in mind as well and see if there's something we can quickly do to make this easier to get to outside of the game. We do want to make it much easier to manage your character out of the VTT and to set up your character for your next session, especially if you're starting a new game. This seems right in line with that. Thanks for the feedback.
Is the +Character button in a game staying? At least, in games where it is enabled for the players by the game creator? Currently, that is my workflow as a GM. I don't allow importing from outside the game because I have the players create their character in the game and use the charactermancer and/or the compendium to utilize compendiums that are allowed (example, Xanathar's but not Fisban's for 5E). Creating characters outside the game, it seems, would bypass the GM control of what compendiums are used/allowed.

Edited 1700549245
The Option for players to create their own character sheets was added recently and will always be there and available until you as a GM disable it in Game Settings... I am not sure how the Compendium sharing function affects the creation of characters outside the VTT as I simply not tested it before... And IF it should be available, then only with the Charactermancer as the compendium is not accessible from "Characters" while creating characters to drag'n drop things onto the sheet... Doug E. said: Is the +Character button in a game staying? At least, in games where it is enabled for the players by the game creator? Currently, that is my workflow as a GM. I don't allow importing from outside the game because I have the players create their character in the game and use the charactermancer and/or the compendium to utilize compendiums that are allowed (example, Xanathar's but not Fisban's for 5E). Creating characters outside the game, it seems, would bypass the GM control of what compendiums are used/allowed.
SUGGESTION: Add a FILTER for&nbsp; Systems (e.g. Cthulhu, D&amp;D 5E, Pathfinder 1E / 2E etc.) so that we can filter for characters to import in certain games!
Hey Folks, Quick update, we've added back the "Added" date and time. When you hover over it, you will get the game that it was added from. Also, we removed the "Unsupported" message over the Avatar. Now, if you have a character sheet that is not yet released, you can do all the normal things you would have been able to do, you just can't view it outside of the VTT (which is how it use to work in the Vault as well). Thank you all for the feedback. We're still working on "Add to Game". It'll be a couple more weeks for that, but if you'd like a demo of what we're thinking for it, schedule a time on my calendar! <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters</a> Thanks again for your Feedback
Gold
Forum Champion
Andrew, There is a strange bug where all my Characters pictures are showing in Black-and-White. Can you make them back to normal color? Thank you for the continued work and communication about this feature!

Edited 1700593489
Gold
Forum Champion
Secondly, we still need to add the Game (Title) on the Character Card. It's still not there in the new pop-up.&nbsp; The new pop-over does NOT show what Game that the character came from. This still fails.&nbsp; It shows what GAME SYSTEM that the character sheet uses. This is not the same as the Game (Title of the Campaign) from-which the character came, and it is not a useful addition since it already showed the Game System on the character card. This should be fixed to show the Game Title. The old Vault shows the Date and the Game Title (the campaign's name).&nbsp; Let's remember Roll20 changed the term from Campaigns to Games, years ago. When people say they want to know what "Game" that the character came from, this doesn't mean the game system, it means we want to know which GM/group/experience/campaign that the character came from. For example let's say I KNOW it's another copy of my usual 5E character named Bill The Killer, but was it the one I played in Ravenloft 5E "The Horror Campaign", or the Humblewood campaign called "Everyone is animals" where I reused the same name, "Bill the Kill"?&nbsp;

Edited 1700591426
Or not just display it when you hover over, but display it in the box... There is enough space for all the Information to be displayed! I can confirm what Gold said: ALL character Images from NOT SUPPORTED Character Sheets are Black &amp; White! AND when hovering over the Date it only shows the System that the character is for, but NOT the name of the game! This needs to be fixed! Gold said: Secondly, The new pop-over does NOT show what Game that the character came from. This still fails.&nbsp; It shows what GAME SYSTEM that the character sheet uses. This is not the same as the Game (Title of the Campaign) from-which the character came, and it is not a useful addition since it already showed the Game System on the character card. This should be fixed to show the Game Title. The old Vault shows the Date and the Game Title (the campaign's name).&nbsp;

Edited 1700594889
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
Doug E. said: Is the +Character button in a game staying? At least, in games where it is enabled for the players by the game creator? Currently, that is my workflow as a GM. I don't allow importing from outside the game because I have the players create their character in the game and use the charactermancer and/or the compendium to utilize compendiums that are allowed (example, Xanathar's but not Fisban's for 5E). Creating characters outside the game, it seems, would bypass the GM control of what compendiums are used/allowed. Hey Doug, This is a great point, and thanks for the feedback. This is what we're hoping to tackle in our "Add to Game" feature that will be coming out soon. You'll be able to share a link to a game where you have all the content already shared or disabled as you wish. The players will be able to go to the link and hit a "Create Character" button. That will allow them to make a character using the content sharing/disabled rules you already set. And TheMarkus is right, it will honor the setting on the game currently that allows players to create a character or not. The one thing I heard in your statement is that you might also want to block importing a character, but allow the creation of the character in the game. That's something that we can look at. One thing I've thought about is instead of completely blocking players from importing a character, it might be cool to have an "Audit Content" process where you can see what content a player uses on their sheet so you can see if that character is ready for a game. It's just a thought. Lots of things to think about. Thanks for the feedback!
Gold said: Andrew, There is a strange bug where all my Characters pictures are showing in Black-and-White. Can you make them back to normal color? Thank you for the continued work and communication about this feature! Hey Gold, I'm not seeing that the avatars are black and white. I just uploaded this random picture and it seems to work fine. Can you upload what you're seeing? Thanks!
Gold said: Secondly, we still need to add the Game (Title) on the Character Card. It's still not there in the new pop-up.&nbsp; The new pop-over does NOT show what Game that the character came from. This still fails.&nbsp; It shows what GAME SYSTEM that the character sheet uses. This is not the same as the Game (Title of the Campaign) from-which the character came, and it is not a useful addition since it already showed the Game System on the character card. This should be fixed to show the Game Title. The old Vault shows the Date and the Game Title (the campaign's name).&nbsp; Let's remember Roll20 changed the term from Campaigns to Games, years ago. When people say they want to know what "Game" that the character came from, this doesn't mean the game system, it means we want to know which GM/group/experience/campaign that the character came from. For example let's say I KNOW it's another copy of my usual 5E character named Bill The Killer, but was it the one I played in Ravenloft 5E "The Horror Campaign", or the Humblewood campaign called "Everyone is animals" where I reused the same name, "Bill the Kill"?&nbsp; Hey Gold, You're right! We missed it. I saw it working with the game title but for some reason it's not right now. We're looking into it. Sorry about that. We'll get it fixed. Thanks for keeping us honest!
This is what it looks for me: As you can see, the images of the non-supported sheets are in Black &amp; White... Andrew Searles said: Gold said: Secondly, we still need to add the Game (Title) on the Character Card. It's still not there in the new pop-up.&nbsp; The new pop-over does NOT show what Game that the character came from. This still fails.&nbsp; It shows what GAME SYSTEM that the character sheet uses. This is not the same as the Game (Title of the Campaign) from-which the character came, and it is not a useful addition since it already showed the Game System on the character card. This should be fixed to show the Game Title. The old Vault shows the Date and the Game Title (the campaign's name).&nbsp; Let's remember Roll20 changed the term from Campaigns to Games, years ago. When people say they want to know what "Game" that the character came from, this doesn't mean the game system, it means we want to know which GM/group/experience/campaign that the character came from. For example let's say I KNOW it's another copy of my usual 5E character named Bill The Killer, but was it the one I played in Ravenloft 5E "The Horror Campaign", or the Humblewood campaign called "Everyone is animals" where I reused the same name, "Bill the Kill"?&nbsp; Hey Gold, You're right! We missed it. I saw it working with the game title but for some reason it's not right now. We're looking into it. Sorry about that. We'll get it fixed. Thanks for keeping us honest!
TheMarkus1204 said: This is what it looks for me: As you can see, the images of the non-supported sheets are in Black &amp; White... Gotcha, I forgot we did that. I'll make sure those are in color. Thanks for catching that so quickly! a
Thanks. And as you can see, there is MORE than Enough space to display the Game the character was imported from... Please do NOT make this Information Hover only! Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: This is what it looks for me: As you can see, the images of the non-supported sheets are in Black &amp; White... Gotcha, I forgot we did that. I'll make sure those are in color. Thanks for catching that so quickly! a
Ok, we just updated and now you should be able to see the Game Title in a hover. TheMarkus, thanks for your feedback on that. You're right, there is space on that card. For now, we're going to leave it in the hover. We hope this will give you the information you need for now and we'll continue to listen to the feedback on future improvements. If you'd like to talk more, let's schedule a time to meet!&nbsp; <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters</a> Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!
A Filter would be nice, e.g. Cthulhu or D&amp;D 5E. AND then it would be nice IF we move our Characters outside the vault, that we only see compatible games in the Export List (Games that use the same Sheet as the character)... Andrew Searles said: Ok, we just updated and now you should be able to see the Game Title in a hover. TheMarkus, thanks for your feedback on that. You're right, there is space on that card. For now, we're going to leave it in the hover. We hope this will give you the information you need for now and we'll continue to listen to the feedback on future improvements. If you'd like to talk more, let's schedule a time to meet!&nbsp; <a href="https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters" rel="nofollow">https://calendly.com/acsearles/characters</a> Thanks again to everyone for your feedback!
I like the Design better because there are now 2 Columns for Characters to be displayed! What I really DISLIKE is the fact that everything else is huge AF that one might assume you think we are all blind or have eye conditions... Andrew Searles said: TheMarkus1204 said: As I have multiple campaigns with the same system, the Name of the Game it was imported from is needed! The old Vault has it, so I don't see the reason why it should not be possible with the new one since you need to select the game first and then the character in order to import it... And I do LIKE the two columns now to display characters. What I really DISLIKE though is the huge menu and buttons of the new Characters in the header as it takes away way too much space... (See screens in previous posts) Hey TheMarkus, You're absolutely right. It's not an issue. We'll get that added back in there. Thanks for the feedback! Also, I'm glad you like the design better. That's good! And I hear you on making better use of the space. We've heard that feedback a couple times in other channels as well. Thank you again for your feedback!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
TheMarkus1204 said: I like the Design better because there are now 2 Columns for Characters to be displayed! What I really DISLIKE is the fact that everything else is huge AF that one might assume you think we are all blind or have eye conditions... Some do, and if they don't offer an option of resizing it, then they need to design with those folks in mind. Just like the newspapers (in the US at least) write to the 8th - 11th grade level (which is encouraging, because it used to be much lower). &nbsp;While the majority of folks don't have an issue with smaller icons, some people do. Don't get me wrong, I prefer smaller icons, myself, but also understand why they may be larger and it doesn't really affect me much... Adding the ability to resize them would be nice, but the team also needs to determine if the additional complexity is worth the time for development. 🤷‍♂️ Doesn't seem like it would be, but...then I also know it's not always as cut and dry as that (there may be a lot of unseen factors we aren't considering...or maybe they just didn't think about it, because perhaps some of the developers have eye conditions, or any other number of reasons).

Edited 1700658904
I do know that and I do know people that have eye conditions (even serious ones). But also that is the fourth (!!!) different Layout the site has introduced to us up to this point (NOT counting the VTT)... Don't you think they should implement 1 Final design for the site and go with it? This would make managing the different parts of the Site / VTT SO MUCH EASIER... AND - when it is only one design to worry about - they could implement features like "Resizing certain Elements" and other things... If this goes on, we might end up with 8 or 9 different Site Templates that ALL needs to be managed / maintained... I hope you now see the Point I am trying to make here... Finderski said: TheMarkus1204 said: I like the Design better because there are now 2 Columns for Characters to be displayed! What I really DISLIKE is the fact that everything else is huge AF that one might assume you think we are all blind or have eye conditions... Some do, and if they don't offer an option of resizing it, then they need to design with those folks in mind. Just like the newspapers (in the US at least) write to the 8th - 11th grade level (which is encouraging, because it used to be much lower). &nbsp;While the majority of folks don't have an issue with smaller icons, some people do. Don't get me wrong, I prefer smaller icons, myself, but also understand why they may be larger and it doesn't really affect me much... Adding the ability to resize them would be nice, but the team also needs to determine if the additional complexity is worth the time for development. 路‍♂️ Doesn't seem like it would be, but...then I also know it's not always as cut and dry as that (there may be a lot of unseen factors we aren't considering...or maybe they just didn't think about it, because perhaps some of the developers have eye conditions, or any other number of reasons).
Andrew Searles said: We’re currently working on our ideal solution which I call “Add to game”. This will keep the character in your “My Characters” list and will just connect it to the game so that you can see it in the game as well. This means that the character data that you see in the VTT is the same as what you see out of the VTT. Someone making a change in one place will be reflected in the other. I really hope the last sentence was just worded badly and you don't actually mean that with this change anyone that can edit my character sheet in a game will also change the sheet in my vault?! The only one that should be able to change the character in my vault should be me. Otherwise this would be a total dealbraker for using roll20.

Edited 1700730973
He meant that IF this is finished you have 2 Options for your characters: a) LINK it with the game it is in. THIS means that ALL changes you or someone else makes to the character either in VTT or outside are synchronized! (Changes can be made by you outside or by you / your GM and everyone who has IN GAME access to your sheet!) b) KEEP it in the "Vault" for Safekeeping. It is NOT linked to a game and stays that way forever (or until you delete the character) KaNarlist said: Andrew Searles said: We’re currently working on our ideal solution which I call “Add to game”. This will keep the character in your “My Characters” list and will just connect it to the game so that you can see it in the game as well. This means that the character data that you see in the VTT is the same as what you see out of the VTT. Someone making a change in one place will be reflected in the other. I really hope the last sentence was just worded badly and you don't actually mean that with this change anyone that can edit my character sheet in a game will also change the sheet in my vault?! The only one that should be able to change the character in my vault should be me. Otherwise this would be a total dealbraker for using roll20.