Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Anybody have an issue with repeating messages.

We have an issue with a game where messages from an hour ago are repeating and throwing off the game.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Jay,  I have not heard of or seen that problem before.  Could you provide an example of a repeating message? Perhaps a screenshot?
I closed the game. It would be Attack rolls and messages repeating without names attached. I logged back in and the dupe messages have disappeared.
Gauss
Forum Champion
If it happens again please let me know. 
This is happening in a game I am in now. Random rolls, macro's, images are popping into chag
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Robert,  Could you describe that in more detail? Is anything happening to prompt the rolls?  Perhaps screenshots for context?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Jay and Robert! It would be handy when it is happening to grab a  Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ). If you wind up filing a  Help Center Request , the devs will appreciate that information and it will help them figure out what's going on.
Gold
Forum Champion
I have not seen reports of a repeating messages bug before.  I have not seen reports of a repeating messages bug before.  Sounds like an unusual glitch indeed.  Sounds like an unusual glitch indeed.  Since 2 people have now reported it, seems like something is up,  Since 2 people have now reported it, seems like something is up, 
I'm in a game now and it is doing the same thing. previous rolls are repeating themselves randomly within the chat window.

Edited 1708492305
RAX
Pro
Happening at a game im in right now. Thought it could be api related, but seems it is not? Reloading helps, but its still pretty bad*.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I suggest filing a bug report via the Help Center .  Description of the problem, any API scripts your games might be running, the console log and the Campaign Details link (not join link) would probably be helpful to include in the bug report to the Devs. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It also might be worth testing un a private browsing/incognito window, to eliminate most extension conflicts as a possibility.
I'm having the same issue in a game I'm DMing, except I'm the only one who sees the dupes. Submitting a bug report now.
two games Im dm'ing are having this issue. It seems to happen every time we change the turn order in combat. After the turn order moves, a random roll from some NPC or PC sheet pops up, without a player's name attached to it. About 50% of the time, only I (the GM) can see the ghost rolls. It's been consistently 1 random ghost roll every time I change the initiative.  There is no roper in this combat, and there is not even a roper token on this map page. The roll did not add a roper to initiative either. The last session they fought 2 ropers on this same map but both tokens have since been deleted fully, and then the first turn of Initiative this happened, followed by roper tentacle attacks at the start of each turn for about 6 rounds, then it moved to other random rolls. (We all had a good laugh Roper illusions that were tormenting them)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some kind of Combat Tracker weirdness? Are other folks on this thread using Combat Tracker? Is anyone using an extension, say Beyond20 or VTTES? You can likely test for this with a private browsing window.
I've done more testing and reproduced the bug a lot. I can reproduce it at will with combat tracker API enabled, but even without it, I have had a few ghost rolls pop up, usually right as I load into the game or change maps but without Combat tracker API enabled it's VERY hard to reproduce consistently for me.
I've also figured out that these rolls are not actual rolls, they are being pulled from the previous session chat log somehow. I was able to reproduce the exact same basilisk constitution check of 12 | 19 over and over by refreshing the page and it was the first ghost roll to pop up each time. Dug back through chat history and found it in the chat log from monday.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi wepv,  Please make sure you include that information when you file a bug report with the Devs via the Help Center . 
This is happening to me too.
keithcurtis said: Some kind of Combat Tracker weirdness? Are other folks on this thread using Combat Tracker? Is anyone using an extension, say Beyond20 or VTTES? You can likely test for this with a private browsing window. I am using Combat Tracker as well and have the problem. i just tested and as soon as a new round of turns started it gave me ghost entries,
I'm also using Combat Tracker and started seeing this issue a couple of days ago, with prior messages being repeated after a turn is changed. Oddly enough, these additional messages do not show up in the logs.

Edited 1708761943
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Combat Tracker has not been updated in two years, and that was a minor change. The actual script has not been touched by the author in six years, and they have left Roll20. If CT is the cause, it must be incidental, reacting poorly with another script or code change. Since I don't recall anyone saying they tested ith a private browing window, I also hold with gathering a  Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ) and  sending a  Help Center Request .
I am also having this issue - I did a console log & screenshots and submitted to the Help Center (#204497).  FWIW everyone, clearing the chat history is a temp fix, but the issue will eventually re-occur.  Disabling the CombatTracker API seemed to resolve the issue altogether.  I hope there is a fix for this script, because I am hopeless as a DM without API assistance. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check out Combat Master. It's a lot more full-featured and more recent. Or Condefinitions , if you primarily track conditions with it. What features do you need or depend on most. We might be able to recommend other scripts.

Edited 1708818242
Gauss
Forum Champion
I don't think the problem is limited to CombatTracker as I have also been having the issue on occassion and I am not using that API Script.  In my case it was happening while using ChatSetAttr on one particular character in one game. 

Edited 1708822061
I just made a copy of my game, and installed only Combat master and two messages popped up as I was configuring it. It is not just Combat tracker. The messages disappear if the game is closed and reopened.
I believe it  was due to having multiple of the same token on different pages. but it was fix in combat master I also belive.
The two messages in my screenshot are from singular tokens on another page, and are not connected to the page shown.
Another screenshot using Combat Master
We saw repeating chat messages during thursdays game. However if you reload the game the duplicate messages are not there. Will check tonight whether i can produce some evidence to send to the developers.

Edited 1708871503
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Problem isn't limited to combat tracker.  I'm getting same from combat master.  There are duplicates coming out.  It's intermittent and does seem to be related to APIs.  This started happening after latest Roll20 release.  From what I'm seeing, the Roll20 Architecture stopped initializing a buffer on the API side, so messages sent via API are picking up extra info in the buffer and displaying it 

Edited 1708878296
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hey folks -- we're looking into this now. Not really sure what's going on (we haven't made any major changes to the API or chat or anything recently) but we'll see what we can find out. Sorry for the disruption. Just to be clear, does it seem like the API scripts are re-running commands? Or does it seem like there are just random old messages showing up in the chat log?

Edited 1708882384
Riley D. said: Hey folks -- we're looking into this now. Not really sure what's going on (we haven't made any major changes to the API or chat or anything recently) but we'll see what we can find out. Sorry for the disruption. Just to be clear, does it seem like the API scripts are re-running commands? Or does it seem like there are just random old messages showing up in the chat log? For me, messages, and rolls are repeating from previously in the session. The messages and rolls do not show the name of the player who made the original roll, although NPC names do show up. See below screen shot. If I close the game and re-enter the game, the duplicate messages will disappear. Rolls from the dice roller that duplicate&nbsp; will have " Something seems to be wrong with the above roll -- it failed verification" &nbsp;as an error message. One of the player rolls showed a 07 as an error below the roll. If I remove all API's except for the OGL Companion, and it seems to stop. Ticket Request [#204524] <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/16786772/owls-nest-fuck-its-cold-copy" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/16786772/owls-nest-fuck-its-cold-copy</a>
We pushed out a fix for this today and we think it should be resolved. Let us know if you're still running into this issue. Thanks!
Seems good for me.
seems fixed for me as well. TY
Yup, fixed for me as well!