Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Premade Encounters Efficiency

Hi, I wanted to create a premade list of encounters on a encounter map and then just copy the tokens to a new map when i need it (because i have time right now). But the question is, will having so many characters(npcs) in a journal have an impact on load times and if so how would I optimize this.

Edited 1712769717
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Lestrasil J,  Generally speaking the number of Characters in your Journal should have little to no impact on load times.  That used to not be the case but a number of years ago Roll20 switched to a Lazy Loading system where Characters were not loaded until someone opened them. 
Good to know thank you :), will having a lot of tokens on a page influence performance or only when this map is being used ( for example players are on this map)
The lazy loading system improved things a lot, but organizing a large collection of character sheets and handouts can get cumbersome. I created a "library" game where I store all the maps and handouts that I create as well as my custom NPCs (I have many fleshed-out NPCs, plus I use the Token Action Maker MOD to add token macros for all the NPCs after I pull them from a compendium). That way, I can transmogrify the items that I will need for a play session into my "live" game while keeping my collections organized in the "library" game.

Edited 1712771185
Gauss
Forum Champion
Lestrasil J said: Good to know thank you :), will having a lot of tokens on a page influence performance or only when this map is being used ( for example players are on this map) It is standard practice for Roll20 modules to use a "Token Page" where tokens are stored. No, it should not impact performance unless a user (such as the DM) goes to that page. Just as with the Characters the page does not load until you go there. 
Organizing isnt my number one problem right now, i thought about using  transmogrify  same way as you do, but  transmogrifier doesnt have a search or copy subfolder option so it is quite cumbersome to do for a lot of characters    Rick A. said: The lazy loading system improved things a lot, but organizing a large collection of character sheets and handouts can get cumbersome. I created a "library" game where I store all the maps and handouts that I create as well as my custom NPCs (I have many fleshed-out NPCs, plus I use the Token Action Maker MOD to add token macros for all the NPCs after I pull them from a compendium). That way, I can transmogrify the items that I will need for a play session into my "live" game while keeping my collections organized in the "library" game.

Edited 1712771204
Gauss
Forum Champion
A note about what Rick is mentioning,  While the performance of loading is not generally an issue until you load that Character or Page a game can become so big that it causes problems. Roll20 has done some work to mitigate this, but if you have a particularly large campaign you may want to off-load some of it into a storage campaign as Rick mentioned. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lestrasil J said: Good to know thank you :), will having a lot of tokens on a page influence performance or only when this map is being used ( for example players are on this map) Hi Letrasil! An unloaded page will have very little to no performance hit. For example, Roll20 modules ship with a token page that has tokens for every character sheet in the game (often mutilples). Many tokens on an active page will probably be fine too. I run a campaign that takes place primarily in a town that has about 150 NPC tokens, mostly linked to the same Commoner sheet. It's a huge map as well, and I have never run into a lag issue due to it. The only case where you might run into a performance hit is if they are all on a page with dynamic lighting activated, and a substantial number of them have vision. Moreso if the page has Explorable Darkness activated. Even considering all of this, you may or may not run into issues. It's very difficult to give anything but general guidance considering the number of variables inherent in a system that runs in a browser. My advice,:don't worry about it until you actually run into problems.