Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Center map on player token when map first loaded

Score + 356
+1
+1
+1
+1
Yes please!
John D.
Pro
Sheet Author
First question my players ask at the start of a game, "Dude, where's my token?"
+1
I've saw that, even a Thid Party, Not Allowed to be used on the site script has this feature. (Researched out of curiosity to see the features that they have) How a group of not paid script writters can do this, and the team with acess to the core code, can't find a way to do this?  Please, be that there's a secret BFRework of the core code of the site beeing worked on and that we will be surprised with a complete new site soon. Because, gods be dammed, this is saddening.
+1 still need this

Edited 1645214783
+1 Still Shouldn't have to purchase API control to get this functionality.  Should just be part of the Core utilities

Edited 1645290500
TG
Pro
@John D: I find myself asking "Dude, where's my token?" quite often, and it really is the one question you should never have to ask when you're playing a tabletop game.
agreed
+1
+1
Still would be nice to see this feature 
Yup, every time they spend the first minutes just trying to find where their tokens and group is on the map. We've been playing for 2 years now every week. Really tired of dealing with this pesky inconvenience. Please center maps on players token on start up! 
+1

Edited 1676997504
its takes less than 2 seconds ppl. Grab that zoom slider and boom, you see yourself! at this point we should suggest highlighting the zoom slider.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Dullahon said: its takes less than 2 seconds ppl. Grab that zoom slider and boom, you see yourself! at this point we should suggest highlighting the zoom slider. I think a lot of GMs forget that you can shift + ping to pull all players view to a certain point.  I use that to bring players where their tokens are when entering a new map, but I play under some that don't and just tell you which part of the map to look for. It would still be nice to have it automated, especially if you are running something with the players all starting in different locations.

Edited 1677009409
This YouTube video by Nick Olivio demonstrates a way to use a MOD that allows players to center the screen on their token. I installed this MOD then added a macro in Attributes & Abilities tab of the player's character sheet (I'm using the D&D 5E by Roll20 sheet) so they can always find themselves on the map. Or they could just type !pingMe in chat box.
Read through some of the comments, and they're right. What if they own more than one token? Is it possible for the DM to place a "Starting point" on the map for the players?
I would like to be able to set where each page is supposed to load. Second would be to just fit the page when it loads. The current method of just using wherever you happen to be from the previous page doesn't seem desirable for many people, if any.  
I realize that being able to designate a default windowed view each map may be a problem due to people having monitors with different aspects or resolutions(*), but even allowing the GM to set a "view center" for each map would be a big help. Also, Nick Olivio's pingMe  script includes a solution for players who have multiple tokens. (*)  I do know of at least one graphics application that does have this ability, but it uses strictly vector-based graphics. I don't know if that makes a difference.
This would be a perfect addition to the new UI considering all the major changes already being made.
Originally posted 9 years ago... lots of upvotes and begging... still doesn't exist... not a single dev in the thread.  Wow.
Domigorgon
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Yay, 9 years and counting. Well, here's to another 9 years!