Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[5e Shaped] 2.6.0+

Last night we had our game, and there was some weird stuff happening with the character sheet. We were noticing multiple 3-d dice being rolled for single dice throws. For example a sword that's 1d8 was throwing a few d8. An axe that's 1d12 was throwing a few d12. It appeared to be doing the actual math correctly, but my players were confused. Sometimes it looked like the lower of two dice was being "chosen" - EXAMPLE . However, I proved that it was using the higher die just as often - EXAMPLE . This hadn't happened before with previous versions of the sheet. Also advantage and disadvantage worked unreliably. Sometimes it worked at first, then it stopped. We'd switch from normal to adv to disadv, reboot the game, etc. It would work again, then it would stop. We wound up going with roll 2d20 as a stop gap. This morning I am trying to reproduce that, but it seems to be working okay. For absolutely certain though, it was bugging out last night. I took 15 minutes during the game and we tested it repeatedly. If it helps, I tried with the sheet embedded in Roll20 and with it popped out of the browser. I wonder if Roll20's servers were being crushed...
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As mentioned in the PM: I'll explain how dice rolling works: When you click an attack button it sends a bunch of data to chat which is processed by the roll template. Here is a simplified version:  &{template:5e-shaped} {{vs_ac=1}} @{roll_info} {{roll1=[[@{preroll}d20cs>@{crit_range}@{postroll}@{d20_mod} + @{attack_formula}]]}} @{roll_setting}cs>@{crit_range}@{d20_mod} + @{attack_formula}]]}} {{damage=[[@{damage_formula}]]}} {{damage_type=@{damage_type}}} {{crit_damage=[[0d0 + @{damage}[damage] + @{damage_crit}[crit damage]]]}} So in the normal case you have an attack roll (a d20), a damage roll, and a crit_damage roll. crit_damage is the offender that is sending the "extra" roll. The roll template then processes this data and shows certain sections or not based on criteria. That criteria in this case is "was the attack a crit". There is no way for me to resolve this. Roll20 must fix this on their end, but I'm pretty sure the way they've setup their system would prevent this kind of fix unless they delay all rolls until the template shows. Either way if you want 3d dice to work you have to take it up with them. This issue exists for every character sheet. Adv/Dis sometimes take a second to kick in. If you're having troubles (laggy connection or roll20 servers) wait a second or two and then click the action you want. The time to flip over is very small.

Edited 1462745714
Greg
Pro
Kryx, thanks for the reply. I believe I have solved the problem with my character sheet. I had copied a game that used a different character sheet, but I chose yours in the new copy of the game, and none of the stats for the characters were converted into the new sheet format. The stats were in the journal profile but not on the new sheet. Once I entered an armor class on your sheet and targeted the tokens after clicking an action, the rolls started showing up properly. It's a shame that existing stats are not automatically populated in new sheet formats if you copy a game or characters and switch to a different sheet. By the way, thanks for all the work on this sheet. I have been meaning to make the switch to this for quite some time, and now that you have the SRD functionality, it is a phenomenal resource. This should save me a lot of prep time as a GM. I will be sure to make a donation momentarily and make future donations.   As a request for a future update, I would really prefer the sheet to maintain any capitalization I use during data entry. It seems to revert many items to lower case, perhaps because these fields are handled that way in the Monster Manual. In other fields, however, it keeps the capitalization in my text. Maybe it would be too labor-intensive to change this, but automatically altering the format of my text interferes with the way I prefer to set up my NPC/monster sheets.

Edited 1462780038
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Greg said: It's a shame that existing stats are not automatically populated in new sheet formats if you copy a game or characters and switch to a different sheet. Several authors including me warned roll20 about this situation occurring. The best I can do is suggest you start out with brand sheet sheets. Converting old sheets is bound to be full of problems. Capitalization is done on a few fields because the SRD has the data incorrect. This is done to match the Monster Manual. Alignments of NPCs and damage types for example are not capitalized in the monster format. The sheet intends to follow the monster format as presented in the Monster Manual as closely as possible. If you believe something is being incorrectly lowercased please let me know.
Couple more questions <a href="http://screencast.com/t/Fn3IeoSa" rel="nofollow">http://screencast.com/t/Fn3IeoSa</a> The rolls work, but the total bonus is staying at +0, or blank. This was from a new sheet. Thanks!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Close the sheet and reopen it. Roll20 has implemented a fix on dev. See&nbsp; Some text in a span with an attr name does not show until sheet is closed and reopened
The ol' turn it off, turn it back on fix! Love it when it's that easy! Thanks Kryx
So, the stat block you can pop into chat with the sheet macro, it doesn't include damage resistances and immunities. Would it be possible to include these?