Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

A few questions before I consider upgrading for API access...

Hey all, There's a lot of things I really like about roll20 and I'd love to use it to test a new board game/RPG hybrid I'm working on. However, it's lacking a few things that make not quite work for what I need. I'm wondering if I upgrade so I can use the API and put in the time to learn, can I do some of the following things (or, are some of these things I can do already and just didn't realize): - allow zooming in on cards while they are on the tabletop (like you can zoom in when they are in hand) - allowing players to switch pages without moving the whole campaign to a separate page - OR create some kind of secondary window where the players can interact with cards, move them from that window to their hand/tabletop - create a randomized map using a group of pre-set tiles - create a "macro" of sorts that automatically draws X cards from a deck and puts them on the tabletop - draw from a deck after removing a certain subset of cards from it Thanks in advance! -- Mike
1379530825
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
- The API does not currently have any interaction with cards, although cards on the tabletop are treated as graphics (tokens, cards on the table, and drawings are all graphics). You could potentially set the width/height of a card on the table via the API, although all players would see it, and it would cover anything it was on top of while enlarged. - The API does not permit players to move to separate pages from one another. - The API cannot create windows. - It would be a tricky script, but this could be done. Each tile would need to be placed on the map manually (and if multiple copies of a tile were to be used, multiple copies would need to be placed on the map), but they could then be moved offscreen and a map could be generated from them. - The API does not currently have any interaction with decks. (I actually recently made a suggestion for this in the Mentors forum, as well as more API support for cards.) - The API does not currently have any interaction with decks.
Is there any example of random generated maps using APIs?
1379532193
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Zonatos T. said: Is there any example of random generated maps using APIs? I don't know of any specific examples, but it's certainly doable. All of the tiles (and all of the copies of tiles) must already exist, and preferably they'd all be named, but once that's done you'd just need a script to toss the tiles (graphics) together in some pattern.
Ah, bummer, Hopefully they'll add more support for cards in the future. Thanks for answering my questions!
1379568844

Edited 1379568854
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian said: Zonatos T. said: Is there any example of random generated maps using APIs? I don't know of any specific examples, but it's certainly doable. All of the tiles (and all of the copies of tiles) must already exist, and preferably they'd all be named, but once that's done you'd just need a script to toss the tiles (graphics) together in some pattern. Yes this sounds about right but the script would have to know what sort of paths the tiles have and then have some sort of path finding system to make sure there are no silly layouts. At this current time I would say its unfeasible, due to the number of tiles that would need to be placed down before hand.
1379576449
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Alex L. said: Brian said: Zonatos T. said: Is there any example of random generated maps using APIs? I don't know of any specific examples, but it's certainly doable. All of the tiles (and all of the copies of tiles) must already exist, and preferably they'd all be named, but once that's done you'd just need a script to toss the tiles (graphics) together in some pattern. Yes this sounds about right but the script would have to know what sort of paths the tiles have and then have some sort of path finding system to make sure there are no silly layouts. At this current time I would say its unfeasible, due to the number of tiles that would need to be placed down before hand. The most limiting factor to it would be because you'd have to place every tile on the map manually, name them manually (it would be nigh impossible to make the script's code to be readable without naming them), and you'd have to have multiple copies of tiles for any tiles that are permitted to be repeated. If you've got the tiles in place, though, creating the script to generate the map wouldn't be much different from any other map generator, such as the ones on donjon.bin.sh.
1379654108
Alex L.
Pro
Sheet Author
Brian said: Alex L. said: Brian said: Zonatos T. said: Is there any example of random generated maps using APIs? I don't know of any specific examples, but it's certainly doable. All of the tiles (and all of the copies of tiles) must already exist, and preferably they'd all be named, but once that's done you'd just need a script to toss the tiles (graphics) together in some pattern. Yes this sounds about right but the script would have to know what sort of paths the tiles have and then have some sort of path finding system to make sure there are no silly layouts. At this current time I would say its unfeasible, due to the number of tiles that would need to be placed down before hand. The most limiting factor to it would be because you'd have to place every tile on the map manually, name them manually (it would be nigh impossible to make the script's code to be readable without naming them), and you'd have to have multiple copies of tiles for any tiles that are permitted to be repeated. If you've got the tiles in place, though, creating the script to generate the map wouldn't be much different from any other map generator, such as the ones on donjon.bin.sh. Yes but that would require you entering info into the script as to the design of each tile as well as its name, needless to say its an undertaking that would be far easier to do in an external program then exported as a single image (or a few images for large ones).