Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Game Master for Hire

Edited 1484535585
I am hiring out my capability as a Game Master. I have four years of experience as a GM, both on Roll20 and in person. My profile can verify I have been part of the Roll20 community for awhile. I have a Pro account, lots of marketplace assets, and experience with the interface. How it works : Private Message me and we will talk to see what your group wants from a GM. If we both like what we find out, I will run a very short one hour example for you and/or your group. If you still like what I have to offer and offer me the position then we can discuss the contract terms. Till we agree on a contract, no money is involved. Fees: $25 upfront one time contract fee for time involved in campaign setup. $30 upfront one time contract fee to run any system outside of the listed known systems. $5 per hour for sessions contracted for less than four hours. +$1 per hour for each person over four in the party. $10 per hour for sessions contracted for more than four hours. +$1 per hour for each person over four in the party. $30 all inclusive fee to run a one shot or fill in for a GM for one session running less than four hours. $20 for a two hour GM helpshop. Known systems: Burning Wheel, DnD 3.5, DnD 4e, DnD 5e, Dungeon World, Mechwarrior: A Time of War, New World of Darkness (Hunter, Werewolf, Vampire, Changeling, Promethean, Mage), Numenera, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force and Destiny), and Warhammer 40k (Black Crusade, Dark Heresy 1&2E, Deathwatch, Only War, Rogue Trader) I will admit that for Burning Wheel I would be rusty and my knowledge incomplete so while I would obviously study them for you, I would not know everything by rote. Availability: The following are the times I am currently unavailable due to ongoing campaigns in Eastern Standard Time (EST) using a 24 hour clock. All other times are open for play: Sunday: Open Monday: Unavailable Tuesday: 1230-1630 Wed: 1300-1500 Thursday: Open Friday: 1330-1630 Saturday: 0900-1300 Roll20 Disclaimer: “This game will require payment for my time as a Game Master at a rate of (See Above). Be advised that payment will occur off site via (Paypal or Google Wallet) and cannot be enforced by the Roll20 staff.” Edited to add Dungeon World to Known systems. Edited to update availability.
Biff is an excellent GM.  His story building skills make you feel like you are in a Choose Your Own Adventure book that you don't wanna leave a finger on the page you left.  I have played with him, both as a player and a GM, in both real life and online settings and can say without a doubt that he is at the top of my favorite GMs list.  He runs mainly free-form games, no railroading here.  This means don't expect him to tell you what to do, expect him to give you options that you can choose from, and he will develop a story around you.  It is a really great experience. His dedication when learning a new system and/or working with players is absolutely amazing.  Even as a player, he will spend time working with new players or just new to the system players, and once he has a handle on things, get ready for the curve balls.  When initially developing the game, he is great at taking your ideas for what you want from a setting and what your seeking in gamestyle to create a unique game for your group.  He is flexible but fair on character creation, meaning he might let one of your characters have a relic that you all are guarding, but he would not equip the whole group with world sundering weapons of mass destruction.  He will also adequately challenge your characters in unique and interesting ways.  He is by no means a module runner, so be prepared for a wild ride. When it comes to game settings he already knows, his story telling is on point, and he doesn't like to repeat occurrences in his games if he can avoid it.  He will however, challenge your perceptions of races, characters, NPCs, and worlds that you are going to encounter. Finally, lets talk about player interaction.  Biff is highly focused on a few things so be ready.  Attendance is incredibly important, so be committed.  This is because he will have all the players involved, most likely in unique ways befitting their characters.  Having a player be intermittently available will begin to cause problems.  Use of player knowledge versus character knowledge will be something that he will tolerate slightly, but reacting to something happening to a party member when you have no way to know will not be allowed.  Lastly, interruptions and off subject table talk will be allowed but will most likely detract from the story, so I recommend keeping it to a minimum.  This last paragraph isn't to scare players away, but honestly to give Biff praise.  These are all things that help make his game great, because Biff will hold players and characters accountable for their actions.  He wants to create a great game for his players, and the above mentioned definitely make things more difficult. If anyone would like further information or specific info on our past game experiences, please PM me.
John, Thank you for the lovely recommendation. However, you should know that this will not prevent your character from being brutally torn to shreds by tyranids.
Dang... where is the edit post key...
When me and four friends of mine were tired of GM-ing each other, we decided to get someone from the outside to try to prevent our Parties from running into certain doom. We found Biff here on the forum and had the luxury to choose from all the GW Warhammer 40k Roleplaying Systems to play our Campaign in. As a player I am not to knowledgeble about the 40k Universe but Biff was able to provide a compact overview of the world for me with the information he provided for us before, during and after the sessions. His roleplay is on point and his well-spokenness (thats a word, right?) allows him to paint wonderous as well as grotesque pictures for his players. Out of the game he is very friendly and open for questions about the game. I like his style and would recommend hiring him. if you are looking for a professional GM to run your Campaign, look no further than Biff.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Reminder:  Questions/commentary in LFG forum posts need to be confined to questions related to determining if the game on-offer is suited to the needs of the questioner.  All other commentary is off-topic and runs the risk of being deleted at a minimum.
Disclaimer: Recommendation When Biff came to us asking our opinion on whether or not selling his services as a GM there was a ubiquitous positive response, in fact the price he thought he should go with (and he has) we thought was an incredible bargain, especially considering there are people out there to earn $1000s GMing ( <a href="http://imgur.com/gallery/YruyU" rel="nofollow">http://imgur.com/gallery/YruyU</a> as from this favourite imgur). We are playing in a Rogue Trader campaign and what stood out to me, before even playing, was the effort he put into in creating an entire sector filled with details and depth complete with a map that was far more usable than those for the default sector.&nbsp; I won't reiterate too much of what Philipp has said (we play in the same group) though I agree completely with his sentiment, especially as someone else who knows very little about the 40k universe. In particular I would highlight Philipp's comment on his out of game character, now in my opinion there's no better solution to any problem that people have than communication and unfortunately a lack of it can lead to a whole host of problems which can ruin many campaigns. The first thing Biff offered to us was a quick survey which gauged what we were looking for in an RPG, making sure that we were all on the same page for tone, mechanics and the other important facets of roleplaying without assuming that we were thinking of the same line. Outside of that any time we've had an issue, and all groups do, we've raised it (often at his prompting ie: "If you have any problems do you want to bring them up now") as a group or privately and it has been resolved. Lengthy campaigns especially have trouble surviving without communication and Biff's is top notch. This is on top of his roleplaying and GMing in general. Now, you might be reading this and going, yeah I'll just take this guys word for it that this guy is amazing, as the deleted commenter suggested we're clearly just all being paid thousands of dollars to post good things about him (I wish). Well, worry not, not only can you use Biff's one hour example as a tester you can look at the longer term stuff and every session we've played with him right here: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL8bO-PZw2sdBsL5Q4ZKf2BF1Zm5Y3iI_" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL8bO-PZw2sdBsL5Q4ZKf2BF1Zm5Y3iI_</a>

Edited 1476923791
I've gamed with Biff for the past three to four years. I've run games as a GM that he has played in (online and off), and I've played in several games that he has run. It is clear to me that his experience as a player has deeply informed how he runs his games. He and I have spent hours discussing better ways to run games more smoothly, more clearly engage players, and most importantly, how to set the players up for success. As has been said above (and I'm happy to see that, btw!), Biff knows how to engage players. He does not lose the thread of any of his players. He engages as much as players want to be engaged (what's that? You've got a 10 page backstory? You bet your ass something in there is going to come back and tear you up), and he never makes a point of railroading players. In fact, he's usually real clear about the danger that particular courses of action will entail, but if that's where you decide to go, he'll go there with you, and then hand you a new character sheet when there isn't enough left of your character to put in a coffee mug. The level of engagement from Biff's end means that you should take notes for full enjoyment. If that puts any of you off, I apologize. But honestly, the detail he provides is really what we all want from RPing (unless you just wanna kill stuff, which is fine, but I find dull after a session or two), and if you're going to participate in the story, hold onto the thread of your character. I promise, it is completely worth it. But back to what I said at the top, the best thing Biff does is set his players up for success. In the past (particularly as a novice storyteller), I've been guilty of "trying to win." I know you can't win RP games from an intellectual standpoint, but if my NPCs were getting absolutely slaughtered and players were just running through my story, I might up the ante with the aim of really dealing some severe damage. It basically amounted to punishing the players for playing well, because it felt like I was on the losing end. But that's not really a GM's job. The GM is there to collaborate with the players in telling a story. A story that you guys will talk about for months (and I promise that with Biff, you will). So the idea, truly, is to set the players up for success. Yes, there will be setbacks. Characters will die. But when the threads are pulled together into a tapestry of a story, it will definitely be satisfying. THAT'S what Biff has gotten really good at. It's not about whether or not he takes one of you down with him. It's not about making sure that you reach the end of HIS story. It's about working together to organically create a legendary tale of your own. Sound epic? It should. That's what RPing is! The payoff after weeks and months of playing should really be an epic pinnacle of a story, and Biff gets that. I know that some of you will recoil from the idea of paying a GM, but you know the disappointment you get from a game ending too early, or not living up to expectations, or turning sour because the GM is tired of running and wants to finally play a game for once? Yeah, trust me: it's worth it to pay an experienced and skilled GM so that you can avoid all of those unhappy situations and just play the game that YOU want to play.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I also wish to note: responding to off-topic stuff results in your post being included in the deletion sweep.