Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Video Chat Official Bug Thread

Whispering people blanks out everyone's portrait and they don't reload or anything except when someone reconnects. Pretty weird.

Edited 1480878435
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
On the dev server, my webcam is always on (light ... is lit), whatever the settings : no audio/video, audio only etc.
My audio has always been very finicky. Today it wasn't even showing as 'sharing' my mic until I changed from broadcast Video/Audio to just broadcast Audio. I'm not running with a webcam, am using a USB wireless mic. Running NoScript to block everything, but even allowing scripts globally did not work.
Tuesday, ran a game, was complete chaos, but apparently there were some serious hiccups in the system, so nothing surprising. Friday I ran a game, people could not always see each other, for some reason after some time I got a bit robotic. Multiple "red" connection issues. Had to switch to skype Sunday, small issues, but nothing too major. Me and one of my player could not see or hear each other while the rest of the group could see both of us. I don't know if the curve's going to continue like that, but so far I'd say the thing is pretty unreliable.
Been having a ton of trouble with this. Invariably, one person or another couldn't see each other. One of my players and I couldn't see/hear each other - though everyone else could see both of us fine. Eventually it swapped - two other players couldn't hear/see each other, but then I could interact with the earlier one no problem. Several camera freezes for various different players, and a lot of people getting "Connection failed." over their webcams. :(
Currently trying to play with my group.  It's not functional.  Yesterday when i was testing none of us could connect.  Today 5/7 of us connected but one failed and the other couldn't connect at all.  We've had to use 3rd party software to try and make it work.  The old system wasn't perfect.  We had issues were sometimes certain people couldn't hear each other but it mostly worked...

Edited 1481104527
UPDATED:  Phil you sexy coding man, the black bar issue is in fact fixed.  Some things to note.   I did switch from 32bit to 64bit Chrome.   In Live (Production) I see the black bar in both 32 and 64bit Unfortunately,  I did confirm that my Firefox camera feed is not as clear as my chrome feed in both 32bit and 64bit Firefox. Dev Server Black Bar is gone!   Confirmed Fixed! Unfortunately the Firefox feed is still crap :( :
When i try to select "Video only" it would refresh the whole page entirely, and even then i can still hear the people chatting and talking.   and in either cases of changing to "video only" or "audio only" or Video and Audio" it refreshes the page.   still having cases of people disconnecting.  and cutting out for audio.   I dont see a "Refresh" button for when people disconnect.  when i have API Scripts up, and the small buttons for a quick select,  and have the camera's up top of the screen,  those buttons on the bottom of the screen are actually cut off and shifted to the left of the screen. (but still can relatively access them)  the new system is practically undoable when you're trying to stream via twitch.  the other previous system was fine. 
Our group is having many of the same issues listed above. The service is moderately better than the beta was, but out of our group of five players there is always at least two players that cannot hear each other. As of 12/03 we were still having issues with some of our players getting randomly disconnected. We've had to reschedule our past two games due to these new audio issues. The whisper function also seems to occasionally malfunction, if I'm whispering to one player sometimes one of the other players can hear me. My players are also unable to whisper to me, their GM, it seems that I have to initiate the whisper for it to work. Love Roll20, and am hopeful that these problems are resolved quickly because we're unable to play properly at the moment. 
Going to put my old post here so everything is in one place. To be clear, he's still having issues.&nbsp; My friend is on an ASUS C300 chromebook (32bit) and is using Google Chrome. I'm the GM and he connects just fine when i have OpenTok WebRTC selected as 'Chat Tech' but when i switch it to Roll20 WebRTC Beta, he consistently gets 'failed to connect' on my end. But, on his end, it says that me and the rest of the players 'failed to connect'. I've already walked him through this <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Audio_Visual_Troubleshooti" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Audio_Visual_Troubleshooti</a>... Did a little further testing. It seems that my other friend who has a 64bit version of Chrome OS manages to enter our game with no problem. This could suggest the problem is related to a 32bit OS and/or browser. My friend can connect sometimes now but eventually the disconnect problem returns A suggestion for others who are still having problems while bugs are being squashed; what my group and I have done is use roll20 as 'video only' mode and Discord for audio. So even when my friend is forced to refresh, he can still hear what's going on.
Our initial test was very positive. With my wife and I logged on at the same time we could mute each other and didn't experience any of the audio/ideo weirdness we'd noticed before. We are planning a larger test in the next few days before our game next week. Thanks for your hard work!
Phil B. said: ...I had picked a library that was very "hand-holdy" to start with because I knew nothing about WebRTC and was looking for "easy". It turns out what we are trying to do with our chat is nowhere near "easy" and I need quite a bit more control over everything than the old library would allow me. So, I have basically scrapped that part and rewritten it from scratch with new library that gives me all of the control I need to successfully integrate it with the Roll20 app. We did our first session with the new system over the weekend and one player could never maintain a stable connection (which admittedly may have been due to his connection speeds and not the chat system), otherwise it worked reasonably well for the rest of us. However, the above quote seems to only underscore that the technology is/was definitely not ready for primetime and should have been tested (a lot) more prior to being rolled out (or at least prior to removing the functional and tested alternative!). &nbsp;I am not a professional software developer, but knowing the limitations of the library you plan on using seems like something that should have been established long before the software went out the door. I really love roll20, I 100% appreciate everyone's hard work and efforts to making the platform better and I am happy to contribute my $100/year to help achieve that. &nbsp;But on the flip side, one would expect that for $100/yr the dev team would ensure that one of the most (if not the most) critical features of the platform are carefully rolled out.

Edited 1480962586
Hi , after many try (setting google chrome , device etc.. ) , my webcam is not diffusing stuff , she is working on other site or app(skype, etcc.) but not diffusing a single image on roll20, help me , i just got a black screen, i still can see the video of my friend.&nbsp; I am using a creative vf0230 , win10x64,google chrome , i checked all update&nbsp;
I run a game with 6 players. &nbsp;It's very rare that every player can see and hear each other. &nbsp;Browsers aren't changing etc... it appears to be random when it does, and doesn't work. Anyone else having this issue?
I can not find an option to stop using this and going back to the other way, is that intended? &nbsp;I find it to be very buggy and just barely usable if you are looking for opinions. &nbsp;I do not mean to sound harsh but I personally do not want to beta this product and would like the option to go back to the other that was working just fine. &nbsp;Until you get all the bugs worked out give us the option (especially for those of us that are paying) the ability to choose please. &nbsp; Thank you
My group has been having problems with this new system too, we often end up having to re-log a few times to get everyone able to hear everyone (we've given up on video). We've also found we often end up not able to mute other players which is a real problem as we have two couples in our group who need to be able to mute each other to avoid echo. If there's any log file or anything we can send, let us know. At the moment roll20 is unfortunately less playable than it was before the new chat.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks Phil. The reconnect button sounds like a really good idea. I look forward to testing it soon.
I had a new mysterious issue: one player had delayed audio. Meaning we saw him talk, and then we heard the audio. Refreshing/restarting browser didn't fix. Player had no issue with Skype.
after trying to play D&D tonight with my second group.. it was worse than the first group.. multiple disconnects, no audio. (none of us had the black bar thing though) &nbsp;and same thing with the "Video only" option where if you select that, you can still hear people talking. &nbsp; &nbsp; another thing is if you try and open a second window to roll20 under Chrome incognito, some of the webcams would come up there instead of the regular window in Chrome. &nbsp; tried with Firefox and same thing.. still not showing up. &nbsp; &nbsp;I have a 100mb/s down and 5mb/s up. &nbsp;so i should not have any troubles with bandwidth. &nbsp; infact i tried everyone on "very &nbsp;low" bandwidth video setting and i'm still not able to see webcams. &nbsp;
FYI...I was testing some scripts today with one of my players and I could hear him over the mic even though I had both my audio & video settings set to "receive nothing"

Edited 1481226482
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have finally push all of my changes to production. There is still more work to be done, but the new code should fix most of the most annoying issues. You can now select Roll20 Chat v2 from the chat tech dropdown to try out the new stuff. From my own testing with the other devs it seems to be much more stable than the old version, which I think was the main issue. We did see some minor stuff that was easily work around by having everyone "Reconnect", and I will be attempting to fix that in the coming days. One of these was changing your broadcast/receive settings while other people are already in the call might not take if only you reconnect, if they can still hear/see you have them reconnect as well and that should finalize the settings changes. The new new system takes a little longer to connect to everyone, because it takes its time and tries to connect to one person at a time rather than everyone all at once. This seems to be a much more stable way to try and make sure everyone connects. So, give it a few seconds for each person to connect before mashing the Reconnect button. If it gets to 30seconds and you still haven't connected, try Reconnecting and if that doesn't work have them try Reconnecting. As we move forward with this new system, and I get some more testing data from everyone, I will try and detect these issues automatically and try to handle them before you even realize it's an issue. Please try out the new new system, and let me know how everything works for you.
Guys, I can't get Roll20 to start the camera... I've tried all of the normal troubleshooting. &nbsp;It's not the config either, because I've tried it on 3 separate computers (in chrome and Edge), with the same result. &nbsp;OpenTok's connectivity test website shows 4 green checkmarks, and Google's WebRTC ( <a href="https://appr.tc/" rel="nofollow">https://appr.tc/</a>) is able to engage my camera with no issues (across all 3 PCs). &nbsp;Only Roll20 is having this problem. &nbsp;I've verified that Roll20 has permission to use my camera as well. &nbsp;Is this related to the Roll20 upgrade?
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Azarin, the camera will only turn on when there are other people in the game.

Edited 1481227931
Ernst
Plus
Playing without camera usually, just with sound. But we can't speak to each other tonight. Used reconnect button, F5 makes it sometimes i'm allowed to discuss with this or that player but not with the others, like when i'm selecting a player to whisper. Switching to hangouts for sound...

Edited 1481232503
We are trying to get this working at the moment - we are a group of six and we can't get everyone on video at the same time. &nbsp;The best we can do is get three people on video and voice while the other three can see and hear each other but not us! We tried for an hour to get this working but could not. &nbsp;The GM tried both systems in the chat-tech box and we tried audio only, we tried different browsers (FF and Chrome), nothing could connect the whole group. Hope we can get a fix for this soon.
My group has been having problems constantly with this system. Some people can never connect, sometimes it bounces around as to who is able to connect and see video, and hear audio. It has never had 100% function for all players at once, and we are only 4 people. I imagine it only gets worse with a larger table. Can we please get a fix to this soon?
we are trying to play with 5 right now and the videos keep disconnecting
Trying to play with 4 - only two of us can see/hear each other at a time. Have tried reconnecting, restarting, rebooting multiple times.
Having issues with just connecting with 2 players, sound constantly dropping or echoing for no reason. &nbsp;I've tried using Google Chrome and Firefox and it is still giving my issues. I usually do a recording so I like to have a "player" screen open with a different account, but that will bug out and start broadcasting even if it is set to not broadcast or receive. &nbsp;
Count me in on experiencing issues. &nbsp;My group of five is having troubles connecting/seeing/hearing people. &nbsp;I can see one person, but his audio was extremely roboticized and he completely froze up after about 6 seconds.
I can only see one player at a time...
Agree with all above. No video save my own (as DM). No video except their own (the players). Audio giving an echo.&nbsp;
Hello! There seems to be a lot of bug with the new Chat feature, and its severely impacting our games :( some of the things that have been happening include: - Hearing 3 of one person. - some people not being able to hear anyone, though others can hear them.&nbsp; - black icon even when people can connect just generally a whole mess :( Is there any way you can make it so people can revert back to the old chat feature until the bugs are fixed?
Total failure on our game too. We can maybe see and hear one or two people at a time. If we refresh, I may see and hear a different set of people.&nbsp;
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It looks like the new signaling server is failing, and I'm not sure what's causing it. It's not something I'm going to be able to fix tonight, I'm sorry you won't be able to use it in your games tonight. I will hopefully to be able to figure out what's going on with the server tomorrow. I suggest using V1 for now. When the servers were working like they are supposed to, everything we've tested on the dev team seemed much more stable. I'm sorry that you aren't all seeing the same results, please bear with me while I pick a new fight with the new server.
We did a test with 3 of us tonight, using both V1 and V2. V2 barely worked at all. V1 let us connect two people at once, but the 3rd couldn't see or hear the other 2, nor they the 3rd - and that 3rd person varied. A and B could see/hear, but C was out in the cold, then A and C could see/hear and B was out, then B and C were OK and A was out. We all tried reconnecting, refreshing, closing the browser completely and restarting - nothing helped.&nbsp; Our plan for our next game is to turn all voice and video off for Roll20 and hope that Google Chat will work for us.&nbsp;
We had six folks on. &nbsp; V2 repeatedly locked up on one or two players - causing a chain reaction of guys "reconnecting" or refreshing, or completely rebooting their internet browser, as well. We went to Teamspeak and then ran into reverb issues. We've been playing for almost 3 years on Roll 20 - this was the worst night yet. &nbsp; We weathered the erasure of all our sounds a few months ago, nad now this. &nbsp;We have WAY too much time and data investing on Roll20 campaigns to switch over to another VTT. &nbsp; But going back to free, or cheap, subscriptions might be an option if this can't get fixed.
I'll add to the chorus here...we tried a game tonight (5 players) with both V1 and V2. &nbsp;Both were abysmal. &nbsp;As others have stated, it was a supremely frustrating game of whack-a-mole for 30 minutes. &nbsp;Basically just varying combinations of people seeing/hearing some and not others. &nbsp;Utter mess. &nbsp; We ended up just using skype. PLease reconsider just paying or whatever to reinstate opentok, it worked. &nbsp; &nbsp;
I totally agree with Jack V. Experienced same as everyone else. An hour and a half of our group's time completely wasted. I'm doing my best here to remain composed, and to not resort to throwing out a bunch of f-bombs. Seriously guys. A session ruined. Stuff like this will absolutely kill roll20.&nbsp;
Tonight was a mess, no audio or video working, seeing a lot of HTML code errors, the session was ruined. Please fix the issues audio/video issues
I'm glad to have found this bug report. Last night's game did not work. V2 was worthless. V1 met with only a sliver of success. Seemingly randomly, only two of our five could use voice chat, and upon refreshes a different random two would be connected. We spent over an hour trying to trouble shoot it, then went to Skype. Previously we could see a mic icon in the avatar when a player would successfully connect to voice chat, but now, even when a connection is made, there is no mic icon displayed ... only the player avatar graphic.
My group also ran into MASSIVE problems with both V1 and V2 in last night's session, so much so that after about 45 minutes of tinkering we gave up and used Google Hangouts for video/voice. &nbsp;It seems that we were never able to see and hear each other entirely. &nbsp;Each of us could see and hear SOME of the other party members, but never all of them. &nbsp;Each time I tried changing from v1 to v2 (or vice versa), some or all of the others in my group would go black on me, or appear offline. &nbsp;The same was happening for the others. &nbsp;Moving video windows around is futile; they would only move horizontally, and as soon as I would let it go (with the mouse button), it would drop so low on the screen that the majority of the window was below the bottom of my screen. &nbsp;With the exception of the window movement problems (which used to work in beta), the other problems I listed have always happened, anytime we tried using the new system. &nbsp;Just as a note: we were all using Chrome as our browser. I really do love the new features you guys are trying to implement, and would love to see them work at some point. &nbsp;Until then however, I hope you guys can restore the old version (because it was stable!). &nbsp;In the interim we'll continue to use Google Hangouts I guess.
With so many people having so many issues, how long before most of us just give up on Roll20 completely? We have so much time and energy invested into this campaign that it would be painful to change to another platform, but anything is better than not being able to play at all because of these issues. Please, please, PLEASE reinstate the OpenTok. It worked. This new system doesn't. It should be a no-brainer to switch back to the functioning system. Surely paying the licence fee for OpenTok is better for Roll20 than the potential exodus of customers because it's impossible to play on it anymore. The ultimate goal could still be to ditch OpenTok and use the in-house A/V system, but for pity's sake make sure the damn thing works before making it the only option next time.&nbsp;
Hi there, I am need of desperate help.... I have an issue where webRTC wont work with my game due to one of my players living in Abu Dhabi which blocks webRTC traffic. We have tried with VPN etc too and not had any luck. We have looked for webRTC leaks and not helped. Google Hangouts is also blocked. VPNs are now classed as Illegal in Abu Dhabi by their laws so using them is not good anymore. Since the OpenTok is now gone how can we go about sorting this? Has anyone got any suggestions on how we can get a game going now? Not all my players use skype either.
To echo Heather's comments. &nbsp;I've tried doing video chat with two separate game groups, neither of which worked at all. &nbsp;This new system is junk! &nbsp;It is quickly ruining my experience with the interface for which I pay a subscription for and feel like I'm not getting my full money's worth. &nbsp;At this point all the interface is good for is map visuals and character sheet storage; which I could get just as easy from one of your competitors. &nbsp;I am extremely disappointed with the rollout of this new a/v platform and the apparent lack of play testing on it before pushing it out to everyone. &nbsp;I would strongly suggest suspending the new platform until these issues are fixed and tested thoroughly. &nbsp;Otherwise, you're going to risk losing a lot of subscribers over this mess including myself. &nbsp;
Azarin said: My group also ran into MASSIVE problems with both V1 and V2 in last night's session, so much so that after about 45 minutes of tinkering we gave up and used Google Hangouts for video/voice. &nbsp;It seems that we were never able to see and hear each other entirely. &nbsp;Each of us could see and hear SOME of the other party members, but never all of them. &nbsp;Each time I tried changing from v1 to v2 (or vice versa), some or all of the others in my group would go black on me, or appear offline. &nbsp;The same was happening for the others.&nbsp; I had the same exact problem with my group last night. It seemed as though everyone could see and hear two random other people but no one else. Changing versions didn't work and we eventually ended up in Google Hangouts also.
Same problem in our game last night as well. Started off ok, and the reconnect button had to be used a few times - was stable for a while, then just became a mess of everyone having to restart the browser (reconnect button wasn't good enough) - then it devolved eventually unto no one being able to see/hear anyone else. Using both v1 and v2.

Edited 1481310496
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We are not currently taking bug reports on the current Roll20 WebRTC default feature. However, we're very interested in your experience with the new Beta option that is now live in your games. Please give us&nbsp; feedback on the Beta here .