Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GMRolls that are hidden even from the player that makes the roll.

Score + 329

Edited 1492339884
This might sound like an oddity at first, especially for those that are used to the limitations of meatspace, but it would actually be tremendously useful to have, as well as serving as one of the strengths of the Roll20 format. Often, players have to make rolls where they really shouldn't know the result themselves. For example, if a player makes a Knowledge Test or a Perception Test, they shouldn't know if they failed or succeeded - it should be assumed that whatever they rolled, that's what they see (or don't see). Currently, this is either glossed over, or the GM will have to do all the rolls himself, and check the player's sheets, adding a lot of needless hassle. The most annoying example I can think of is when you've got 5 players (or more!) and the GM feels the need to call for a general Perception Test. If it's done in the open (or by /gmroll), everyone that fails will generally know that they failed, while those that succeeded will know that they succeeded. If it's done by the GM, he has to sit there and roll each individually. With a /hiddenroll command, all the players could do their rolls at once, and only the GM sees the results, and can narrate or react to it appropriately.
This would be fantastic.  It would cut down on one player making a check, rolling poorly, and thne everyone else wanting to roll.
Goat Games
Marketplace Creator
this is an obviously needed feature. +1
I +1 to this feature.
+1! Not an odd idea at all, but a very good suggestion and a feature that many users have probably been wanting for at some point in a game
This would be like having a dice tower where the results roll out only in front of the GM. would be great !
+1. I've often wished for something like this. I'd also like to add a little extra to the suggestion, though: if someone does such a roll, a shadowed 3D dice is rolled as well, concealing the result. This would add to the feeling of interactivity, but also to the mystery.

Edited 1495146347
As a DM sorry to say this but you guys are making it a little more complicated than it needs to be.  Why not write the macro yourself ahead of time.  You whisper it to GM and click on roll that rolls for all your characters.  If you are rolling against PP then you can add that to your tokens or in the macro itself.  Looking at the character sheet or token should not be hard if you need the info readily available to look at put it in the GM section of the character sheet.  Seems problem solved.
Chris K. said: +1. I've often wished for something like this. I'd also like to add a little extra to the suggestion, though: if someone does such a roll, a shadowed 3D dice is rolled as well, concealing the result. This would add to the feeling of interactivity, but also to the mystery. For those that use the 3D dice, I think this is an excellent suggestion, really.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
This comes up every now and then.
It feels like this would be a rather small addition (it's basically just a /gmroll except only the GM sees the results regardless of who did the roll) so it's disheartening to see it's still not been implemented.
Wow, been three years and still no nibble from the developers. Just added a vote to it. Hopefully they can work on it. Foundry, a new VTT, has blind rolls built into the basic package. 
cant you just make roll as GM instead of player? :-D (also this feature already exists - powercards and api scripts)
I would love to have this feature for every DM (paying much, paying little or paying nothing), because it is more tedious than it sounds to have even more rolls to do as a DM.
Not sure what powercards or api scripts are. Personally, I am looking for a drop down function such as the whisper GM that sits at the bottom of the box. Easy and simple to use. I usually do make the roll for players if it is a secret check. For instance, a recall knowledge check in PFS2. I ask "for those who want to attempt this check, please post your modifier and proficiency in the chat." Once every one has posted them. I do the required number of checks and then reveal results.  Giving us a function, much like Foundry uses, that allows player to give us secret checks, that only reveals the results to the GM, would cut down on a bit of time. Example, same situation as before. "Everyone give me a secret Recall knowledge check for Nature to learn about ..." At this point, each player would choose the option on the drop down that would say "secret" and then submit the roll. The GM would get the results and provide the information as it comes in. 
For people saying htere is an API for this, for the price it cost, I shouldn't have to learn how to code on top of prepping my games.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Oosh recently posted a "Blind Roll"-method, that doesn't need API . It requires the GM to use the Stylus browser plugin( Chrome / Firefox ) , and the result is only superficially hidden from the players, where they could use browser inspection tools to see the result.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
I was going to make a suggestion for this! Great to see someone beat me to it!  +1 from me!  Again for anyone saying: "just buy pro and code". I don't think buying pro should be needed for this, also I know a lot of player's who play a lot, but do not want to code all the scrips and macros to make this work. Some people are simply not coders and buy pro for other reasons (content, dynamic lighting, and so on) 
I'm playing games of Pathfinder 2E now, and they have a lot of hidden rolls, so it would be nice if they added this so players could still send their roll to the GM (and the GM wouldn't need to keep asking for the numbers all the time). +1 from me
I'm really tired of the 'built-in metagaming' that making those sorts of rolls in public creates. This would be a very, very nice functionality to have. Next step would be updating the primary character sheets to enable them to use the /gmroll functions.

Edited 1615299741
I appreciate all the workarounds and macro coding expertise that have given me a tool to do secret rolls, but it’s a pain in the butt to add it to every table that I create (I run 2-3 games a week and create 1 or more new tables per week). It would be nice to have secret roll functionality built into the player UI somehow. The Pathfinder 2E content relies more and more on this, and I would prefer to get the players more involved in the process (where Players can initiate the roll, but not see the result— like Fantasy Grounds or Foundry). I have no idea how much of a pain in the butt it is for the programmers on Roll20, but with all the good updates to the PF2e sheets and interface over the last year, this would be another good addition! thanks! Travis
I too would love this. I run a lot of Pathfinder 2nd edition (as well as other games, not just d20 based) and this would be super helpful!
Agreed. This would be a handy function.

Edited 1619041795
A vote YES here.  Fantasy Grounds uses a dice tower for this function as part of their program and it is great.  
+1
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Cool! We are soon reaching 100 votes. Maybe Roll20 will notice The thread Then! 
I do this now with the Stylus browser plugin and it HUGELY improves the feel of the game. Now the players have no idea how well they are stealthing or perceiving.

Edited 1620285806
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
+1 greatly needed feature !  For all knowledge or perception rolls, a fumble must give a false information to the player, and the player has to believe it. Very difficult to roleplay for most players. IRL, it's the "roll behind my screen" option. Really really needed.
+1
Obviously an incredibly important feature especially if Roll20 wants to have good Pathfinder 2e support. Secret Rolls are critical and the ability for players to make Secret Rolls is one of the big advantages of a virtual table vs a physical one. Use it please Roll20!
+1
MK Ultra said: +1! Not an odd idea at all, but a very good suggestion and a feature that many users have probably been wanting for at some point in a game Yeah, +1, I've wanted to be able to make secret checks for my PCs all the time.
Been wanting this for some time. Hope it comes to pass.
Yes, +1!
This thread is four years old.
Well, it picked up 3 votes today...

Edited 1639035386
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jay R. said: This thread is four years old. I wouldn't expect this feature to arrive anytime soon. As per the guide lines: DON'T: Post a comment about why you don't like a suggestion. Post about why you think a suggestion is unnecessary, unworthy, or not important. Predict the response of the Dev Team or the likelihood that a suggestion will be implemented. Debate a posted workaround. Have a good day and lets all hope for the best :)

Edited 1639064623
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Hidden Rolls - Workarounds Community Wiki page listing known workarounds to get same or similar effect in Roll20: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Hidden_Rolls" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Hidden_Rolls</a> (If you know more methods, please add them to the page)
Peter B. said: Jay R. said: This thread is four years old. I wouldn't expect this feature to arrive anytime soon. As per the guide lines: DON'T: Post a comment about why you don't like a suggestion. Post about why you think a suggestion is unnecessary, unworthy, or not important. Predict the response of the Dev Team or the likelihood that a suggestion will be implemented. Debate a posted workaround. Have a good day and lets all hope for the best :) LOL. You have fun hoping for things. Meanwhile, I will edit my post per your suggestion.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks for The link Andreas Jay R. said: LOL. You have fun hoping for things. Meanwhile, I will edit my post per your suggestion. I do still Hope :)&nbsp; If Roll20 Are working on other stuff that is not related to this feature, then it wont happen. I recall a roundtable where they said that they needed to rework The entire chat to support this, so untill they have time to change The chat infrastructure then it probably wont happen :)&nbsp; But I still Hope! :D
+1 from me. The impish side of my GM nature would very much like comments such as "You think he's telling the truth," "You feel well-hidden," and "You don't detect any traps" to be genuinely enigmatic.
I would appreciate this feature and use it at my table.

Edited 1646814177
Jay R. said: This thread is four years old. Yeah, it's depressing. Been considering getting Foundry, if only I could afford it, just for this option.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Vargkungen said: Yeah, it's depressing. Been considering getting Foundry, if only I could afford it, just for this option. I feel ya! I guess the only thing we can do it keep pumping votes into this, hoping that it would reach 200 at some point. Another way would be to spam it to the developers at every round table Roll20 does :P Dunno if that would help or make it worse...
This would be the greatest thing for immersion. I hadn't investigated Foundry, but if that option's there, I would consider running there instead.
I was able to do this the other night in my game. In Pathfinder 2ed edition they enable the wispher button in the character sheet. if the DM opens the Player's sheet, enables the "whisper-mode" and "execute" the skill (perception, Lie, etc), Saving T, etc, the DM gets the whisper with the result, but the player does not see it,&nbsp;
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mugres said: I was able to do this the other night in my game. In Pathfinder 2ed edition they enable the wispher button in the character sheet. if the DM opens the Player's sheet, enables the "whisper-mode" and "execute" the skill (perception, Lie, etc), Saving T, etc, the DM gets the whisper with the result, but the player does not see it,&nbsp; You Are quite right. This can be achieved by The DM opening the player's sheet, and clicking their button for them.&nbsp; However with a game with multiple characters and monsters, the DM has enough to keep track of. To also ask the DM to roll the player's rolls for them is asking too much. In a real World scenario the DM would have to roll for The player, but here in the digital World we can utilize options that Are not available in the real World.&nbsp; This feature is about doing just that. Increasing immersion while reducing the DMs workload. Allowing the players to click their own buttons while only The DM knows the result
Not having this in my 2e Pathfinder game is a big hassle, and the PCs want to push the button, even if only I see it. Right now, I keep a d20 on my desk for secret rolls and roll for them - like I don't have enough to manage.&nbsp;
+1 to this. Stealth rolls especially would be a hoot with this mechanic.

Edited 1652584990
Voted.. +1 on this ... started 5 years ago? ... Rly? Make it happen! :D&nbsp;