Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GMRolls that are hidden even from the player that makes the roll.

Score + 332
Sure could use this feature. In really immersive games, a player shouldn't have to instantly see the results of a roll.
This is a huge missing feature.
+1 here. I really hate it when the players know things they shouldn't because the system tells them when it shouldn't.
+1 to this
+1 for this. ty.
+ 1 for this. Many thanks !

Edited 1662449918
Hi, Covid might be clouding my small brain, but we use a very simple D20 roll that only I can see as DM and a more advanced version that produces a blind roll of all skill checks generated bythe player and sent only to me - this thread <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10928433/blind-rolls-macro-fine-tweak-help-needed/?pageforid=10936654#post-10936654" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10928433/blind-rolls-macro-fine-tweak-help-needed/?pageforid=10936654#post-10936654</a> you need stylus code, which is listed earlier to make it work, but we love it - until Roll20 implement it this might serve as a workaround? If you like this, please note the brackets comment from me towards the end as that is esssential to make it work, if you only want the single roll with a query over whether normal, advantage or disadvantage then the macro is: **DM requests a blind roll:** (`/w gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Blind Check}} {{@{selected|character_name} rolls...=?{Advantage|Normal,1d20|Advantage,2d20k1|Disadvantage,2d20kl1}}} {{=[Result = ](#" id="broll" style="display:none)[[[[[?{Advantage}]]d1]]](#" id="broll" style="display:none)}}" style="color:darkred;background-color:white;border:solid 2px darkred;font-size:17px;border-radius: 5px;padding:2px;display:inline-block)
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Simon G. said: Hi, Covid might be clouding my small brain, but we use a very simple D20 roll that only I can see as DM and a more advanced version that produces a blind roll of all skill checks generated bythe player and sent only to me - this thread <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10928433/blind-rolls-macro-fine-tweak-help-needed/?pageforid=10936654#post-10936654" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10928433/blind-rolls-macro-fine-tweak-help-needed/?pageforid=10936654#post-10936654</a> you need stylus code, which is listed earlier to make it work, but we love it - until Roll20 implement it this might serve as a workaround? Thank you for the input. The solution with the Stylus &nbsp;have been mentioned multiple times, and it is a fine solution, but it kinda have the same problem as the old Dark mode stylus hack . Like with Dark mode, where people want a solution that requires no third party extensions to get the feature working. There are multiple reasons for this: People do not want to install third party software to get a feature working If something breaks, Roll20 actively encourages to remove all extensions, when debugging an issue. Sheet authors cannot implement this into the sheets, in a fashion that works across all sheets. The same reasons apply to hidden rolls. Another reason why I personally think that hidden rolls should be implemented natively, is that so many game systems would benefit from this. Catering to game systems is not something new. Looking at the Help Center for Dice reference:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037773133-Dice-Reference#DiceReference-FATEDice" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360037773133-Dice-Reference#DiceReference-FATEDice</a> &nbsp;it clearly shows that Fate dice is supported, which is a mechanic from a specific game system (which is also being used by other systems). It would give the players the enjoyment of getting to click a button and roll a dice (instead of the DM) and it alleviates the workload on the DM by pushing the workload to the players. This was quite a mouthful, and not ment as an attack on you or your suggestion. I just wanted to clarify why this request is so highly demanded.
Hi Peter, absolutely no offence taken and I fully embrace your rationale; my post was merely a suggestion people can implement or not because some may not be aware that choice could be available to them
Agreed! +1 on this.&nbsp;
Here's my +1. This would be awesome!
+1 We need this
+1 give it to us
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
200 Baby! WOOHOO! Now we just need Roll20 to give this a little looksy! :D
+1 to make this real
+1 YES
+1
+1 I'd like to see this.
+1....billion
Just +1 more.
+1
+1 again.&nbsp; C'mon Devs.
+1
+1
+1&nbsp;
Peter B. said: Mugres said: I was able to do this the other night in my game. In Pathfinder 2ed edition they enable the wispher button in the character sheet. if the DM opens the Player's sheet, enables the "whisper-mode" and "execute" the skill (perception, Lie, etc), Saving T, etc, the DM gets the whisper with the result, but the player does not see it,&nbsp; You Are quite right. This can be achieved by The DM opening the player's sheet, and clicking their button for them.&nbsp; However with a game with multiple characters and monsters, the DM has enough to keep track of. To also ask the DM to roll the player's rolls for them is asking too much. In a real World scenario the DM would have to roll for The player, but here in the digital World we can utilize options that Are not available in the real World.&nbsp; This feature is about doing just that. Increasing immersion while reducing the DMs workload. Allowing the players to click their own buttons while only The DM knows the result It's very easy to make a macro that will make the roll with the click of a button. For my Pathfinder2E games I use the following as a token action macro: &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=GM}} {{header=secret rolls}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=Secret}} {{info01=Secret rolls made!}} /w GM &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=@{selected|character_name}}} {{header=Secret Rolls}} {{subheader=Each Individually}}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=perception}} {{info01=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|perception_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|perception})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info02_name=Stealth}} {{info02=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|stealth_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|stealth})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info03_name=Deception}} {{info03=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|deception_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|deception})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}}&nbsp; {{desc=}} The macro rolls pretty much everything that I could ask for for a standard secret roll. I have one for Recall Knowledge, too (if something is not on this list, it usually has the same bonus as one of the following): &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=GM}} {{header=secret rolls}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=Secret}} {{info01=Secret rolls made for @{selected|character_name}!}} /w GM &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=@{selected|character_name}}} {{header=Secret Recall Knowledge}} {{subheader=Each Individually}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=Arcana}} {{info01=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|arcana_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|arcana})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info02_name=Nature}} {{info02=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|nature_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|nature})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info03_name=Occultism}} {{info03=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|occultism_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|occultism})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info04_name=Religion}} {{info04=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|religion_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|religion})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{desc=}} If a character has one that isn't on this list that I have to roll regularly, then I would make one specifically for that character on their sheet. I made one, but soon realized that the roll did not need to be secret.
+1&nbsp;
+1 needed feature

Edited 1686595505
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
Hey All, Just wanted to step in and say thank you all for the great feedback on this feature both in this thread and in other threads . The ability to keep rolls secret is something that can have a big impact on how the game is played. Personally, when I run games, I do something like this all the time. I love to see how the story unfolds when characters (and their players) don't always have exact information about the reality of the situation. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we are focused on at this time but that doesn't mean that we don't see your feedback! As we are redesigning the current VTT, we'll keep this in the back of our minds and see if there's an opportunity to slip this in where we can, BUT no promises! Either way, thank you again and keep it up. Your feedback helps make Roll20 better for everyone! &nbsp;
Andrew Searles said: Hey All, Just wanted to step in and say thank you all for the great feedback on this feature both in this thread and in other threads . The ability to keep rolls secret is something that can have a big impact on how the game is played. Personally, when I run games, I do something like this all the time. I love to see how the story unfolds when characters (and their players) don't always have exact information about the reality of the situation. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we are focused on at this time but that doesn't mean that we don't see your feedback! As we are redesigning the current VTT, we'll keep this in the back of our minds and see if there's an opportunity to slip this in where we can, BUT no promises! Either way, thank you again and keep it up. Your feedback helps make Roll20 better for everyone! &nbsp; Is there a dislike or downvote button for this response? Or should we just a post a link to the other VTT's that have offered this from day one?

Edited 1686640708
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Andrew Searles said: Hey All, Just wanted to step in and say thank you all for the great feedback on this feature both in this thread and in other threads . The ability to keep rolls secret is something that can have a big impact on how the game is played. Personally, when I run games, I do something like this all the time. I love to see how the story unfolds when characters (and their players) don't always have exact information about the reality of the situation. Unfortunately, this isn't something that we are focused on at this time but that doesn't mean that we don't see your feedback! As we are redesigning the current VTT, we'll keep this in the back of our minds and see if there's an opportunity to slip this in where we can, BUT no promises! Either way, thank you again and keep it up. Your feedback helps make Roll20 better for everyone! &nbsp; Thank you for finally giving an official response to this suggestion. I know the feeling all to well of working on one thing and wanting to focus on that before starting the next. I hope that your work on the redesign of the VTT will finish up soon, and I will remain hopeful that this feature will get either prioritized into your next project or get sneaked in during the redesign. Here is to hoping *fingers crossed*
Keep this at the top, there is no reason this can't be implemented except that they don't want to.
+1
Jariath said: Keep this at the top, there is no reason this can't be implemented except that they don't want to. Where do you put the interface for this functionality?
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Dr DM said: Jariath said: Keep this at the top, there is no reason this can't be implemented except that they don't want to. Where do you put the interface for this functionality? At the most basic level I would put it as a straight roll command. The minimum viable product for this feature would be something like this: /hiddenroll 1d20 /hroll 1d20 //short form /hr 1d20 //very short form The GM would see the roll and the player would see a text saying " A hidden roll was sent to get GM ". Now the above is the absolute minimum. &nbsp;A much more preferable option would be to have both the text shown to the player and the roll shown to the GM be customisable, allowing for roll templates to be sent to each independently, maybe implemented like a hidden whisper. Something like this: /whisper gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Skill check}} ... // Message both the GM and the player can see /hiddenwhisper gm &amp;{template:default} {{name=Skill check}} {{roll=1d20}} ... // Message only the GM can see I know this is two separate commands, but this is just to illustrate how I think it should work. A dedicated whisper command could also be used for many other things than just rolling. Exactly how to put roll templates into a single command could be something like this /hiddenwhisper "you feel stealthy" "&amp;{template:default} {{name=Stealth check}} ..." // public // hidden In this example I am using double quotes to separate the two sections. It could also be done with brackets as most other stuff is done in Roll20. Finally Roll20 could also make a special roll template specifically for hidden rolls with a public and a hidden property. This would of course limit the output somewhat as you cannot nest roll templates, but it would allow for the functionality, and by having a specific roll template implemented just for this scenario it would be easy for Roll20 to check it and its value and handle the output in their backend. So the a specific roll template could look like this: &amp;{template:hidden} {{public=Everyone can see this}} {{hidden=Only the GM can see this [[1d20]] }} By having a specific template you can also decide if the public portion of the output should only be visible to the player who sent it to the GM or if it should be public to everyone in the game. This would be super cool as both outcomes could be desirable depending on the game and the circumstances. Conclussion There are many ways to implement this. I hope Roll20 chooses one where we as the players gets the highest level of customisability how how much information is shown where and how it is formatted.
I can already do hidden rolls with macros in the way that you describe. So I guess we're done.
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Dr DM said: I can already do hidden rolls with macros in the way that you describe. So I guess we're done. Please elaborate. What does your macros look like? From what I can see from your examples above, like this one, &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=GM}} {{header=secret rolls}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=Secret}} {{info01=Secret rolls made!}} /w GM &amp;{template:rolls} {{charactername=@{selected|character_name}}} {{header=Secret Rolls}} {{subheader=Each Individually}}}&nbsp; {{info01_name=perception}} {{info01=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|perception_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|perception})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info02_name=Stealth}} {{info02=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|stealth_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|stealth})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}} {{info03_name=Deception}} {{info03=[[1d20cs20cf1 + [@{selected|deception_proficiency_display}] (@{selected|deception})[@{selected|text_modifier}] + (@{selected|query_roll_bonus})[@{selected|text_bonus}]]]}}&nbsp; {{desc=}} only works if the GM initiate the macro, i.e. clicks the button / pastes the macro in the chat. If the player pastes this macro into the chat or clicks a button on their character sheet which contains this macro then the player will be able to see both the first public template, and the second hidden template. This is because, if the player initiates the macro it will be the player that whispers the GM and a player is always able to see their own message that they send out. If the GM initiates the macro then it will be the GM whispering himself, and thereby keeping the hidden template secret from all players. If I am in anyway mistaken, and you have indeed made it possible for a player to initiate a macro that sends anything to the GM that the player cannot see himself, please correct me, but until then the suggestion stands. So just because you "are done" &nbsp; does no mean the 271 other people who have voted this up are "done". If, as you put it " we're done" then people would not be voting for this suggestion.
A lot of people on this thread seem to think that this is a very easy thing to implement, but people don't seem to agree on what it is that needs to be implemented. I see why some people want the player to initiate the roll rather than the GM. Currently, it's possible and fairly easy for the GM to initiate a secret roll and to inform the relevant player that a secret roll was done.&nbsp;
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Dr DM said: A lot of people on this thread seem to think that this is a very easy thing to implement, but people don't seem to agree on what it is that needs to be implemented. I agree with you, that some people in this thread think that this feature is easy to implement. I believe, due to Roll20's current infrastructure, and based on how long it took them, for allowing the GM to hide a line in the chat, that implementing this feature is actually quite hard and might even be breaking some of the assumptions that Roll20 have made about their core systems and chat. I only have two points regarding this: I believe it is possible to implement hidden rolls I believe it is worth while to pursue hidden rolls I see why some people want the player to initiate the roll rather than the GM. Currently, it's possible and fairly easy for the GM to initiate a secret roll and to inform the relevant player that a secret roll was done.&nbsp; I am glad that you see the want of the many voters. I do agree that GM can set up hidden rolls, and fairly easy at that. My primary want for this feature is the following: Hidden rolls activate the player, allowing them to click more buttons, keeping them engaged in the game (instead of feeling like the GM is playing with himself, in situations with a lot of hidden rolls).&nbsp; Hidden rolls free up the GM's hands, allowing the GMs to focus on other matters of the game Allows for direct implementation in character sheets, again freeing up the GM from constructing these macros as things just works These 3 points, to me, makes it worth while pursuing an implementation of Hidden rolls. In all honesty, this feature is my highest requested feature above all else Roll20 is doing, as it affects my sheet development directly. In other words, no matter what feature Roll20 comes out with, no matter how functional, requested, or well implemented it is, I will always have a feeling of "but why not put that focus on hidden rolls though". My point is that I am heavily biased towards this feature, and probably will be until it is implemented in a satisfactory manner.
This was one of the top features my players, all of them, enjoyed during my short time on Foundry and the one they still talk about.
+1 I think it's strange that this hasn't been implemented.
Played a mini module on Foundry with this, honestly it massively cut down on metaknowledge influencing players and added a layer of mystery back into the world. Maybe one day the Roll20 staff will see the merit of this idea or finally fix the spaghetti code preventing them, if they already have seen the merit.
Neb said: Played a mini module on Foundry with this, honestly it massively cut down on metaknowledge influencing players and added a layer of mystery back into the world. Maybe one day the Roll20 staff will see the merit of this idea or finally fix the spaghetti code preventing them, if they already have seen the merit. Hopefully that day is soon!

Edited 1690143568
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Getting close to 300 votes. We are soon at the same level as printable character sheet! . (joke)&nbsp;
6 years, and with Pathfinder 2E and all its Secret rolls, and we still don't have this?
+1 Yes, yes, yes!&nbsp; PLEASE implement this capability in some form.&nbsp; So incredibly useful for Pathfinder 2E.
Peter B. said: Getting close to 300 votes. We are soon at the same level as printable character sheet! . (joke)&nbsp; Joke or not. Up until now ONLY the DnD 5E Sheet by Roll20 can be printed... And it's been a while since this feature was finally introduced...
+1. I keep forgetting this is NOT how /gmroll works. I still assume that makes it so only the gm sees the roll instead of weirdly the player and GM but no one else.
+1&nbsp;&nbsp; Our table has been using blind rolls like this for a long time,&nbsp; even before Pathfinder 2e canonized them.&nbsp; I fully agree with how allowing the player to roll those digital dice helps keep them engaged far more than having the GM just roll them.&nbsp;&nbsp; IRL I even had one GM who set up a dice tower that a player could drop a die on, and it would roll in behind the GM screen.&nbsp; The GM would note the roll, explain any&nbsp; results, and hand the die back.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Please, I NEED secret rolls! A player must not know what the result of finding traps/stealth/perception rolls is. MapTool has secret rolls! I'd go PRO immediately if secret rolls were implemented. +1 for me