Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Grouped tokens with dynamic lighting weirdness

I'm getting some erratic behavior when I try to use grouped tokens to create certain vision effects. The end goal is to create a situation where a character with low-light vision uses a torch.  He should create light out to a certain radius that all can see, but then he should personally have a light radius beyond that where his low-light vision allows him to see. As suggested by Gauss here  (post from 26 Jan, 2013), I'm trying to do this by grouping a torch token with the PC token. Here's my order of operations: 1) Drag a character token into the map 2)Drag a torch token into the map, place it adjacent to the character 3) Edit the character token to give it a light radius that is NOT visible to other players (80 feet, for me) 4)Edit the torch token to give it a light radius that IS visible to other players (40 feet) 5) Drag the torch token on top of the character token 6) Using the select tool, I click and drag a selection window around the character and the torch so that both are selected. This is when the weirdness begins.  The light from the torch token seems to teleport about 10 squares away.  The token itself is still visible on top of the character token.  Thinking it is perhaps temporary, I can press on: 7)Right clicking on the character token (which I can still see), I hit advanced --> group 8)Nothing really changes 9) Clicking elsewhere such that I no longer have the token group selected, the light radius seems to return to where it is supposed to be (namely, coming from the torch/character token group) 10)However, as soon as I select the token group, the light radius again jumps back over to the incorrect location. Long story short....  having a group of tokens selected seems to mess up the positioning of the tokens.  I've seen this behavior appear elsewhere as well (for instance, when trying to do a group select for a copy/paste operation).
Gauss
Forum Champion
There are currently a couple of bugs regarding grouped tokens and positioning. They are being worked on. Ill revisit this thread when they are fixed and ask if your problem is continuing. Thank you for posting. :) - Gauss
Good to know, Gauss.  Thanks. Also, you rock.  Carry on.
Out of curiosity, should the recent rendering overhaul have addressed this bug?  Cause I'm still seeing it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have confirmed that it is still occurring. I will let Riley know. It might be that this was not part of the overhaul.  - Gauss
Thanks Guass.  I'd really like to see this one fixed soon, cause it is hindering my ability to use your system for low-light vision where I group a torch with a token.
Gauss
Forum Champion
First, my name is spelled Gauss. :D Second, the light jump problem should be fixed. Let me know if you have any further issues with it.  - Gauss
D'oh!  Sorry! But, on the good news front, the light jumping problem does indeed seem to be fixed! -FUrge
Gauss
Forum Champion
No worries about my name, it is a common typo. :) And I am happy to hear that the light jumping problem is working correctly for you. - Gauss