Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Players do not see Light Source

Hi guys, I'm a farily new subscriber and thus the following will out me as a total newbie, however I'm just experimenting with Dynamic Lighting, Advanced Fog of War and Light Sources. What I have done so far is setting up a dungeon with Dynamic Lighting Walls and enabling AFoW. I set the players to have "Has Sight" enabled and let the players emit light specific to their origin. The Elf emits light for 60ft due to his Darkvision. The others emit light 5ft and it dims after 1, so the place is supposed to be a very dark arctic cave. What works so far is, when moving a player without darkvision around it can only spot tokens on the Token Layer when he is extremely close (1 tile away). The Elf can spot tokens further away. What also works is the dynamic reveal of the fog. The Elf, being the only one with darkvision started to scout around a bit and thus revealed greater areas than the others.&nbsp; Now, what I want and what is not working is the following. Suppose one of the "blind" characters walks around and comes into a corridor where a torch (magic ice torch) is mounted on one side of the corridor that emits 30ft of light with 15ft being the distance the dim light begins. I want this player to see the torch, even though can only see a few feet when in total darkness. So what I did is set up a new token (being the torch) placed it inside the corridor and set the "Emits light" values as well as the "All players can see light" tick, but this didn't seem to do the trick for me. When "CTRL-L"-ing the player and walking around the corner I can not see the Light source and I have to move up to 5ft to the torch to get it revealed by Roll20. I had a look at several YouTube videos on dynamic lighting and Light sources as well as the documentation but I can't seem to figure out the problem. See the following webm for clarification on my problem. Any help is appreciated. Video:&nbsp;<a href="https://my.mixtape.moe/yvhahj.webm" rel="nofollow">https://my.mixtape.moe/yvhahj.webm</a>
1553206205
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You've picked a tough time to learn. There are several things currently broken about Dynamic Lighting and Advanced Fog of War due to recent upgrades. Ctrl-L is not currently trustworthy, and the only real workaround is to log in as a player (you can create a dummy testing account for this). Also, while Advanced Fog of War is active, characters cannot see external light sources. This latter is reportedly the highest priority fix at the moment. So, it's not you. :) Those features are currently broken.
Oh ok fair enough, so in the best workaround would probably be to tell my players that they feel an invisible force and all of the sudden all torches fade to darkness. :D&nbsp; Thanks for the help. I guess this thread can then be closed.
1553215644
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you turn off AFoW, Dynamic Lighting still works.
I did what you recommended and created a "Test User" who joined a campaign and the illumination is actually working as intended. As you stated the CTRL+L was just wrong. I do have AFoW &amp; Dynamic LIghting now running as I wanted it in the first place.
1553277106
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Cool. Hopefully this will all be fixed soon. Sorry you had to come in at such a difficult time to start.