Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Zoom Tool Update Bug Report Thread

Since the zoom update went live, I am experiencing issues with resizing or changing the orientation of tokens and assets. I'm able to select them but that's about all I can do which makes creating maps impossible at the moment 
After testing on the system I almost always run my games from, (FreeBSD 11 with Firefox and a Logitech mouse), this entire update is a bug. When scroll-wheel zooming, the map position changes arbitrarily and uselessly, and the position only rarely has any relationship to where the cursor is. If I hold alt and use the scroll wheel, it does seem to scroll, but when I release alt, it often either returns to the game launch page or reloads the existing page (I suspect this is a mouse gesture supported by Firefox?) Panning is jumpy and difficult to use. If I ever zoom out to where I can see the entire map, the random zoom movement is vastly worse when I zoom in... moving one click at a time from fully zoomed out until the map fills the screen results in insane map position jumps. It takes a full five seconds moving my scroll wheel at my max speed to get from fully zoomed out (10%) to fully zoomed in (250%). Try to go from zoomed out to in is even worse since if you're in the map area, but not actually on the map grid, the zoom does not function, so I need to chase the map to the top/left corner... but not all the way to the corner since the map isn't there either. "Legacy" alt-scroll wheel zoom has all of the above issues... zooming from outside the map grid doesn't work, the map jumps around randomly. If I right-click "too soon" (about a second) after zooming, I actually get the default browser right-click menu,. If I right-click a bit after that (about a further two seconds), there's no menu at all, and I still can't pan if I hold the right button. I need to wait about three seconds after zooming to be able to interact with the VTT in any meaningful way. If I have legacy mode on, during that settling period, if I alt-zoom again, it will take me back to the launch page or reload the current page.
Another issue with highly detailed maps, when scrollwheel zooming above about 170% there is very little difference in zoom level between wheel clicks... there's a much smaller difference between 250% zoom and 245% than there is between 10% and 15%.  The wheel click rate should be absolute relative to the current zoom, not an absolute change.  Zooming in/out 225% really has no visible change per click, especially since the map randomly jumps when you do it.
When working with large maps (150x58 and my 200x58), having the zoom at 10% will occasionally cause the map to disappear entirely. It seems like a scrolling issue, as the only way to fix it is to zoom back in, scroll towards the center of the map, zoom out, then slowly scroll down.
Ok, so the random jumps are not nearly as bad in Chrome as in Firefox... as long as you don't zoom out far enough to see the whole map, zooming out then back in in Chrome only your cursor will end up back at the same place it started.  In Firefox the cursor will be in a different position on the map. Dragging after zooming still doesn't work in Chrome, but I can't get the default right-click menu to fire in Chrome. Jerky panning is not improved by Chrome. Alt-scroll is not a problem in Chrome (more evidence that it's a Firefox gesture that's not being blocked properly).
Midgardia
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Not sure why, but with my M705 logitech, scrolling up AND down makes the zoom increment. I have NO way of using the scroll button to zoom OUT which is... pretty frustrating to say the least. The fact that zoom in general also does not respect the center of the viewport and yanks you in random directions is disconcerting and dizzying, not leading to the best user experience.

Edited 1573035144
I prefer the old way. When I have two windows side-by-side on my screen (as I'm sure many GMs do) the zoom buttons cover my macro bar! If you do keep this new function, please do not get rid of the Legacy Option, and consider either bringing back the slider, or moving the zoom buttons back to where the slider was so that it doesn't cover an important feature that players and GMs use all the time. Thanks.
I liked the idea of the OPTION for zoom scrolling, but two major issues appear. 1 - Zooming is now jittery and ugly, it's an eyestrain and really brings you out of the game. 2 - Panning used to be smooth and have some degree of momentum to it, you could right click, drag, and almost let it smoothly flow to the area. But now it's SUPER stiff and stops the instant you let go, it's so hard and jarring now, where it used to be soft and smooth. Absolutely awful implementation, if I must be honest, I am sorry to say.
Can we get the scroll bars on the side and bottom back for legacy mode, please?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fuzzy said: I liked the idea of the OPTION for zoom scrolling, but two major issues appear. 1 - Zooming is now jittery and ugly, it's an eyestrain and really brings you out of the game. 2 - Panning used to be smooth and have some degree of momentum to it, you could right click, drag, and almost let it smoothly flow to the area. But now it's SUPER stiff and stops the instant you let go, it's so hard and jarring now, where it used to be soft and smooth. Absolutely awful implementation, if I must be honest, I am sorry to say. Completely agreed. Furthermore, the zoom is imprecise. When you zoom , it jumps all over the place. If you place your mouse cursor on a token, then zoom out, the map and that token will jump all over the place. then if you zoom back in, the mouse cursor will not be back on the token - it''ll be offset. How they could do so little testing on the dev server, then make some fixes but not test them again , is just really bad practice. I dont actually want this feature, but could be mollified if performance was at least as good as it used to be. But it performs worse in every way.

Edited 1573037429
Update is complete garbage. some of my players use trackpads- now they cannot even pan horizontally without the map jerking all over the place. Lack of scroll-bar means it is difficult for players to know how big the map is unless they scroll out so far as to make it impossible to view. Moving tokens is next to impossible with trackpad and/or older 32-bit hardware. Legacy mode causes map to pan in random spastic directions when attempting to zoom. On top of ALL THAT, trying to use the alt-wheel functionality causes the VTT to crash and kick me back out to the lobby. Hot, stinking garbage implementation of the "new features", and "legacy mode" is completely half-assed, only restoring SOME of the old options, but not all of them. Overall- this update has made it impossible for my game group to use the roll20 platform. Oh, and the fact that I can't export any of the maps I've already made to try and use with any other virtual table tops is just the icing on this garbage cake. I'll have to find another VTT and re-build the entire game from scratch halfway through, all because the dev team decided to break the VTT completely just to remove scroll bars. Classy, guys. Real classy.
The hotfixes have fixed the token - + bug. I'm still unable to scroll left/right with my trackpad/magic mouse, however, using legacy mode.
this is a horrible idea, and make navigation of maps a hot mess, please is there a undo stupid update button?
Looks like this wasn't tested very well at all. Suggest rolling back the update and working on it some more in beta. If this becomes an annoyance in my games, I will seriously consider yanking my subscription.
After the upgrade the roll of data disappears most of the time, being only on the screen of the scroller, the others can not see.p
After the upgrade the roll of data disappears most of the time, being only on the screen of the scroller, the others can not see.
It's a breakthrough. My proposals are -that the tool for making bread is the button in the middle of the wheel, is more intuitive. -I would like the same frame and size to be seen in my players, independently of the screen, I don't know if this is possible.
I have a rather large computer screen and it’s impossible for me to centre the map in the middle while I’m completely zoomed out leaving this grey void on one side. When I reverts it back to the legacy version the map centres just fine though.
My thoughts: I like the new zoom % indicator Having the +/- buttons seems a bit pointless as they're tiny I am using the legacy mousewheel system as the mousewheel/mousewheel+shift for scrolling is just too damn useful. So it's mostly a miss from me, sorry - but the idea to keep the legacy option is really well done!
Can you please revert this update, or at least bring back the old version with the legacy please? 

Edited 1573053758
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Edit: I deleted token rotation issue, which is older and unrelated.
Roll it back or fix legacy. Me and all my players are on trackpads and this is the worst. Basically inoperable. Gonna have to start shopping for a VTT alternative...
Please, please bring back the old vertical/horizontal scrolling behavior. Like many others who've posted, for me this is a physical accessibility issue: having to hold right click and wrestle with the pan tool aggravates my carpal tunnel syndrome and causes physical pain. I will have to give up gaming on R20 if I'm going to be injuring myself worse every time I play a session here.
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
The zooming feature is so much worse now. It jitters all around. Not even switching to the Legacy Alt-Scrollwheel Zoom fixes this.  Example .
Tony R. said: The zooming feature is so much worse now. It jitters all around. Not even switching to the Legacy Alt-Scrollwheel Zoom fixes this.  Example . +1 exact same issue on Windows 10 laptop using Chrome.
I think the display of the zoom percentage is a great start. The only issue I have is the legacy alt scroll wheel zoom. Immediately I turned this on because I use a trackpad to navigate maps and scroll around them. Previously, I was able to do this in any direction, but now I can only go up and down on a 1D axis. This makes it much more difficult to quickly navigate around a large or zoomed-in map which is often necessary as a DM. 
In opera, panning closed the window or went back to the home page within a minute of opening the map 3 times in a row.  (And the only 3 times I tried) In MS Edge, scroll wheel does not function on my mouse.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Alan C. said: In opera, panning closed the window or went back to the home page within a minute of opening the map 3 times in a row.  (And the only 3 times I tried) In MS Edge, scroll wheel does not function on my mouse. Roll20 isn't officially supporting other browser than Chrome & Firefox.

Edited 1573059397
The new zoom feature appears to have broken the ability to scroll within the Token flag menu. When you select a token and click the magic 8 ball a menu of token flags is displayed. You used to be able to use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll through this menu, now the mouse wheel has no affect and the only option to scroll through the flag options is to drag the vertical menu bar of the token flag popup menu.
The map area is now unusable.  The -/+ zoom works more easily than the vertical bar, but eliminating both the two finger and the sidebar scrolling makes the map useless for games. Using Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, and Chrome.
I feel like right-clicking to move the screen has been adjusted slightly in terms of register delay in a way that makes it annoying to use the draw tool. Normally you'd right click to end a drawn sequence of lines but even the slightest mouse movement now instead moves the screen just barely and ignores the register of the right-click for the the purposes of drawing.
One more request for a full sidebar legacy option please. Zoom is really choppy too, please fix.
Roll20 team, are you even reading the forums? There's a fairly obvious consensus in this thread as well as the Bug thread.
John B
Pro
Sheet Author
I was good with how the prior system worked.  I currently not experiencing any big bugs though the visuals of how it shakes when it is resizing isn't as smooth as however the old sizing worked.   Also find that the options to get to 100% those presets is just to long of a list and a bit weird as a UI.  If you see powerpoint or word and how they allow the slider type of thing to work there isn't this huge list instead there is an option to get to 100% view and an option to scale up or down from where it is currently at.   I have a strong preference for the prior version of how it functioned. Thanks..
New zoom renders Roll20 nearly unusable. Did any dev actually test that before deploy? Few problems, found within 30 seconds of manual testing: Zoom is opposite of smooth (i.e. zooming slow and jittery, and when using the zoom, first nothing happens, and then suddenly zoom level jumps to some level.) Zoom constantly triggers accidentally when using e.g. magic mouse or trackpad Lightest touch on magic mouse causes to zoom level to jump to some extreme. So it is impossible to get to wanted zoom level, as slightest move of finger goes from 50% to 300%. Panning sideways with magic mouse or trackpad is broken. (panning doesn't work on sideways.) Right click panning makes this barely usable. When zooming the zoom sometimes jumps to some unrelated default value, before going back to where it was. Question to Roll20 presentatives: Why did you broke something which was working well? Please, bring back the old version, as it is so much smoother and usable. Using: Mac OS 10.14.6, Firefox 62.0.3
I would like to add my humble voice the cacophony of those saying this was a terrible design decision and a total waste of time considering the countless issues with the platform that have remained untouched for 4 years or more. 
Go vote in the suggestion forum people, maybe they will hear us there a tad more <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7889111/new-zoom-tool" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7889111/new-zoom-tool</a> Tom
Kenton said: Thanks for all the feedback. As mentioned earlier, we've repaired the bug that prevented math in the Radial Menus with the +/- keys. We've been working on smoothing the new scroll experience, and to that end we've release an update a few minutes ago. We've reduced the number of scroll events per second, which slows down the zoom, but should reduce the jumpy behaviour. With all that said, a note about some additional Pan controls. With the new Zoom (by Default): Holding Alt (or Option) while Scrolling will Pan Vertically Holding Alt (or Option) and Shift while Scrolling will Pan Horizontally With the Legacy Mode active: Holding Shift while Scrolling will Pan Horizontally Holding Alt (or Option) while Scrolling will Zoom Now, which one is better: The old way, or new with shuffling with Shift and Alt to get the same results we got on the old system as it was? It is good that you push new features out. I have noticed few within last half year, which have been flawless improvements. This one just is not. This was too large change, which was maybe published with few small, but crucial problems.

Edited 1573069275
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Alright, I just read all this again, and here's the general consensus. People with trackpads are having issues due to the update removing options that didn't work with the scrollwheel, and adding new options that work with scrollwheels. If the Legacy checkbox just added scrollbars back, it would fix the issue most people have in this thread. And no, right click panning isn't an option. It interferes with people who have disabilities in their hands, it interferes with people who don't have a right mouse button, and it interferes with people who may frankly be too stubborn to use the new way. But all of this could be fixed by just giving scrollbars back. That would IMMENSELY reduce the hostility in this thread. People aren't getting angry because it's different and we hate it. People are getting angry because we hate it, bring up why we hate it and how it doesn't work, and the general response we've received is "Just use the right click pan" with no regard for the reasons brought up why somebody can't do that. Will this update have issues if scrollbars are restored? Yes, sure. But the discussion will be more focussed when the biggest issue of the update is resolved.

Edited 1573069974
Cavni
Forum Champion
Yesterday, we released an update to the Zoom tool on Roll20. Our intention was to address user requests by simplifying the existing tool and more closely aligning with modern standards. Unfortunately, the update missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. The code released yesterday is still available on the Dev Server , including yesterday’s hot fixes, for your continued input.&nbsp; We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received.&nbsp; The rollback is effective now.
Cavni said: Yesterday, we released an update to the Zoom tool on Roll20. Our intention was to address user requests by simplifying the existing tool and more closely aligning with modern standards. Unfortunately, the update missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. The code released yesterday is still available on the Dev Server , including yesterday’s hot fixes, for your continued input.&nbsp; We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received.&nbsp; The rollback is effective now. THANK YOU!
thx you so much
Mino
Marketplace Creator
I said this in the pro thread, but I should probably say it here too. Since the update is still gonna come out eventually, anybody with laptop usability issues or gesture issues that want to make sure the update doesn't break their campaigns the second time should probably send bug reports to the dev server if able. Hopefully the next time this update comes back it'll go smoother for everyone.

Edited 1573070105
Cavni said: Yesterday, we released an update to the Zoom tool on Roll20. Our intention was to address user requests by simplifying the existing tool and more closely aligning with modern standards. Unfortunately, the update missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. The code released yesterday is still available on the Dev Server , including yesterday’s hot fixes, for your continued input.&nbsp; We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received.&nbsp; The rollback is effective now. Thank you for rolling back just in time for my Wednesday's game :)
Cavni said: The rollback is effective now. Excellent!
Thank you for listening - I will try to submit some feedback on the dev version once it's updated a bit.
Thank god the legacy option is still there, cause I really hated this new zoom option

Edited 1573070279
Cavni said: Yesterday, we released an update to the Zoom tool on Roll20. Our intention was to address user requests by simplifying the existing tool and more closely aligning with modern standards. Unfortunately, the update missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. The code released yesterday is still available on the Dev Server , including yesterday’s hot fixes, for your continued input.&nbsp; We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received.&nbsp; The rollback is effective now. About bloody time; it's amazing it took this long to correct the issue. Hopefully you'll learn not to rush features from the dev server to live within a week without fixing any bugs or heeding user feedback. And as a note this update, when it comes back (which I hope it doesn't), should be an opt-in change not the default.
Cavni said: Yesterday, we released an update to the Zoom tool on Roll20. Our intention was to address user requests by simplifying the existing tool and more closely aligning with modern standards. Unfortunately, the update missed the mark - and more critically, created usability issues for users. As a result, we've decided to roll back the update and revert to the previous version while we continue work on the new Zoom. The code released yesterday is still available on the Dev Server , including yesterday’s hot fixes, for your continued input.&nbsp; We apologize for the inconvenience to our players and GMs and are grateful to our community for the quality and volume of constructive and passionate feedback we received.&nbsp; The rollback is effective now. Thank you!&nbsp; Next time make sure you get at least 2 months of thorough testing from as many setups as possible before launching.
Thank you Roll20 for saving my games this weekend!! Cheers Tom